PDA

View Full Version : Game type

reklats
09-21-2005, 06:38 PM
I'd be a lot more active if the game didn't rely so much on how much time a player spends playing the game. I think limiting the player to X turns in a day would be ideal.. This way I could log in, spend 30 minutes doing jewels or whatever and be done for the day knowing I can keep up with everyone else.

Right now, if JoeBlow logs in and plays 12 hours a day he'll walk all over those of us with less time to devote to the game.

Lukepuuk
09-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Ehm...isn't that a little unfair and also quite selfish to the ones who can spend more time?

It's like competing for Strongest Man on Earth and demanding that the others don't spend more then an hour a week in the gym because else they'll have an advantage over you.

War_Peace
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Ehm...isn't that a little unfair and also quite selfish to the ones who can spend more time?

It's like competing for Strongest Man on Earth and demanding that the others don't spend more then an hour a week in the gym because else they'll have an advantage over you.

:lol: :rofl: :clap: B-r-a-v-o !...

Cato
09-21-2005, 09:18 PM
haha! its "stalker" backwards! i get it!

palau
09-21-2005, 11:18 PM
... but he is right in a sense. Play time should be advantageous, yet not the most important factor. And we all hate collecting jewels. What about limiting to 50 jewels per day?

War_Peace
09-21-2005, 11:22 PM
haha! its "stalker" backwards! i get it!

What do you mean??

Lukepuuk
09-21-2005, 11:31 PM
... but he is right in a sense. Play time should be advantageous, yet not the most important factor. And we all hate collecting jewels. What about limiting to 50 jewels per day?

I work my *** off to collect at least 500 a day and you want to limit it to 50?
50 jewels...that's 15 minutes of work.

Beezer
09-21-2005, 11:46 PM
I work my *** off to collect at least 500 a day...
Lukepuuk = Dedicated

Lukepuuk
09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Lukepuuk = Dedicated

It's not that much......is it??? :whoa:

Beezer
09-22-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm not dedicated enough to sit around and collect that many jewels.

I am dedicated to plant severl fields, drill several wells and dig several mines though. That's my kind of money....easy. ;)

Lukepuuk
09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Lazy :P

But being moderator doesn't give you certain advantages?

tupac_shakur
09-22-2005, 12:29 AM
:cool: GOOD!!!! GUY!!!!

War_Peace
09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Definitely not!! No geos... :lol:

Beezer
09-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Lazy :P

But being moderator doesn't give you certain advantages?
The only current advantage I have is that I know when a city is going to be added about 2 seconds before everyone else does. ;)

Ruskets
09-22-2005, 02:56 AM
The jewels could devalue after extended collecting.
THe first 50 could be worth 2 geos each, the second 50 worth 1.5 geos each, and all the rest worth only 1 geo. That way everybody can make quick money and the addicts can continue to collect money at a reduced rate.

~ Ruskets

michael fontenot
09-22-2005, 03:30 AM
yeah! great idea...lets penalize all the people who love this game and have 12 hours a day to put into it. if your not keeping up with everyone there's an easy solution...either spend more time on the game or find a hobby that only requires an hour of your day...

blitzkrieg
09-22-2005, 03:37 AM
or ally with 6 people who put in 2 hours per day

RossumsChild
09-22-2005, 04:04 AM
whoa whoa whoa.

I'm not saying that those who *can* dedicate 12 hours a day to play shouldn't be able to. . .but I don't think the average player is putting 12 a day into this.

Look, we all have lives here. I think that a very small, vocal majority (who also happen to dominate the game itself) have a lot of time to dedicate to the game, and that's great.

But this isn't the freakin' olympics guys. GEwar isn't a sport. It's a game. And games are meant to be fun.

If the game becomes so misbalanced that new beginners discover it sucks for them because they don't have 4 hours a day to spend jewel collecting, no one will keep a new membership for more than three days, and eventually the game will dissolve to a handful of addicts finding like dogs for scraps in-game, and engaging in mutually masterbatory conversations on the forums about how awesome they are.

I should *hope* that none of us want that as the end result.

palau
09-22-2005, 08:09 AM
If the game becomes so misbalanced that new beginners discover it sucks for them because they don't have 4 hours a day to spend jewel collecting, no one will keep a new membership for more than three days.
That's exactly why some friends of mine I recommended the game are not playing at all :( I like the idea of devaluating value (maybe even starting at a higher price, like 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1 Geos). Hey, even the freaks may start planting some mines !!

RossumsChild
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
palau: actually, for me the mines aren't that much more rewarding than the bank, if you start taking daily compound interest into effect.

play with the compound interest equation and you'll find this out.

plus money in the bank doesn't have to be maintained daily by buying new resource points, and requires no up-front investment to tie up your funds, so they are still available if you suddenly need to yank them out and reenforce an army in a flash.

Timmetie
09-22-2005, 05:12 PM
I actually agree, the game should start to lean more on the tactical side.

but not as long as there's only 3 other ways of earning money.

And even then regular players should have a big advantage.

BTW, i think cotton should be worth more.

palau
09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Obviously the bank is not the best way for new players to make Geos. You need some capital to receive the interests from!

I think new players need at least to be collecting jewels for the first 2-4 weeks, while setting up mines. Mines are OK at the beginning. I have not calculated it, but the average "equivalent daily rate" seems to be higher than what the bank offers. Otherwise mines would be useless right now. Mickey, you've got the numbers (real average output and life of the mines), can you confirm here?

Besides, when Mickey implemented the world bank into the game, he commented that it would start with particularly high rates. I think after the "testing period" they should be reduced to around 2%. That, along with a cap on the jewel income as you collect more and more jewels, and finally adding some innovative features to earn Geos into the game (something that requires thinking/strategy, please!) would make the GEWar even greater ;)

RossumsChild
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
I actually agree, the game should start to lean more on the tactical side.

but not as long as there's only 3 other ways of earning money.

And even then regular players should have a big advantage.

BTW, i think cotton should be worth more.

Tactical is hard to program, sadly, and takes time. But we all look forward to that. (I personally look forward to the day when I can actually see my individual divisions march over the fields and watch a tank roll over a hill and recieve a tactical advantage for being on higher ground.

I think the idea of a fully functional, fully detailed RTS with diffirent types of units and full visual representation of those unit's movement that takes place across the real-time surface of the globe, would be a milestone in the human experience of technology and gaming.

But that is besides the point. Any way you slice it, collecting Jewels sucks. If it didn't, there wouldn't be such a problem with cheating. Cheating becomes more and more prevalent the more extreme the difference between the "best" parts of a game and the "worst" parts of a game. Games that are universally good and universally bad both have small groups of cheaters, only games with very wide margins between the highs and lows tend to generate large cheating subcultures.

We need a basic money system that makes all of the money management software less reliant on brainless clicking and more reliant on tactical thought.

I love the fact that there are three cities on the map that collect tariffs on products. I think we should expand this until most of the cities on the planet have an export, and the owner of the city can artificially modify the export cost of his product (thus price wars could be created).

Personally I think several southern US cities should have cotton maps. several notherneastern cities should have a (single) steel mill (and access to one would be needed for the manufacture of materiel). Each west coast US city could contain a (single) technology firm (needed for advanced divisions--airborne and autonomous). Each midwestern city could have a Protein map (cattle farming). Each midle-eastern city an oil well map. Each south American city could even have a commodities map (chocolate, coffee, comods would be used to improve the morale of your units).

Etc. etc. China would have carbohydrate maps (rice fields) and Australia and Africa could have other natural resources).

Heck, this could also solve the Nuke problem. If Nukes destroyed the natural resource of the city (and it took a week of occupation to rebuild that resource, at great personal expense) the resource cities would be nuke shielded by their value.

Also, on the subject of regular players:

I think some discusson might be important about "regular" players though.

I lost Birmingham to you yesterday and didn't find out until this morning.

I don't think of that as a huge delay, because I only log in and really update my knowledge of the game once per day usually (maybe twice if I remember in the evenings, which I usually don't.

But it seems to me that the more "extreme" players would be shocked to go 12 hours without knowing what was happening in game.

I think that there *should* be a system for diminishing returns on the investment above about 3 hours of gameplay a day.

Because that is the way you're going to keep new players interested. If they can play for just a couple hours a day max and still feel like they're being productive.

Of course, my opinion is that removing the jewel collecting aspect alltogether would take out the largest problem, and after that it would probably be a non-issue.

reklats
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Oh come on. What I'm saying is that a lot of people aren't going to sit here and do nothing but collect jewels to build up the armies, etc., Some of us can't do it. I'd fall asleep if I tried. What I'm saying is... if the game stays this way, then the only people who will play are the ones who can and do dedicate HUGE amounts of time to playing because it's only going to be fun for them. What's the point in my trying to collect jewels to buy a couple armies and hold a city? Joe-Powergamer is going to just take it back on his way to more glory. Why bother? I can't play as much as Joe so I'll never be able to compete. Sure it's fun for those of you who can but not for us who can't.

You'll be limiting the game to only those types of players and eliminating us. This will become a game of "how many newbies can you eat in a week" instead of strategy on a level playing field.

Lukepuuk
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
The game and players have been going very well...

But there has been lots of talk about jewel hunting not being the only way to get geo's.
But there should always be a reward for those who spend more time and jewel hunting is great in that. It's not fun so it's not like people rushing home from work to do that.

Nico
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Agreed!

socrates
09-29-2005, 06:26 AM
okay.. how bout starting out with some extra G$ ? oh my bad... that'll mean a lot of people will have 2nd and 3rd accounts... and just transfer them over....

but other ways of earning G$ is a great idea... but what comodoties ?
Wheat ? well Australia and Russia also produce wheat .... and speaking of protien as in Cattle... Australian and New Zealand are also big exporters...

oh what to do.... :spin: :brick:

Lukepuuk
09-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Mickey would have to adapt the system a little...making sure nobody can register an account using a proxie or software program for a Fake IP.
I know it is possible...

Teirisius
09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I think that I may have suggested this before, but a weeklong game would start everyone out on the same playing field and would result in more strategy. It may also help by allowing some of the Alliance Players to compete with one-another without risking their overall Alliance position.

reklats
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Still, After the first 24 hours it'll be hard for anyone to join the game.
How about two versions of the game? One of them TURN based (like I want) and the other Real time?

brodie2219
09-29-2005, 05:13 PM
ya know...after looking at this thread for a while w/o a good solution. What about the jewel value start at something like 1/10 geos....for every city you occupy the value is halfed. That way without occuping cities you can get enough money to start getting cities then you need to use strategy to hold them. That way new people will feel as though they are accomplishing something, People holding cities hopefully earn enough to make up for the lesser value of the jewels, and if you occupied every city, you would have a very hard time holding them all.

i dunno, just my 2 cents

Mickey
09-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Mickey would have to adapt the system a little...making sure nobody can register an account using a proxie or software program for a Fake IP.
I know it is possible...
Yes, it's possible, but not worthwhile. You need to keep a list of all proxy IP addresses, and keep it updated daily. Not worth it.

Lukepuuk
09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I know a site in Holland (www.cu2.nl) where you cannot enter if you are using a proxy of software...it just seems to detect it?

socrates
09-30-2005, 02:53 AM
ya know...after looking at this thread for a while w/o a good solution. What about the jewel value start at something like 1/10 geos....for every city you occupy the value is halfed. That way without occuping cities you can get enough money to start getting cities then you need to use strategy to hold them. That way new people will feel as though they are accomplishing something, People holding cities hopefully earn enough to make up for the lesser value of the jewels, and if you occupied every city, you would have a very hard time holding them all.

i dunno, just my 2 cents

hmmm has merit... the more cities you hold .... the less likely you are to jewel hunt as much.... maybe the value of the cities you hold controls the value of the Jewels...
hmmm... that would mean ... if I step out of my cities... I could hunt jewels at the same value.... :menacing: .... BUT ! :whoa: someone could come in and take my cities while I'm jewel hunting....
to hunt or to stay in the city....

Hey ! this 2 cents is probably worth more than the normal 2 cents..... must be another currency...

Timmetie
09-30-2005, 08:21 AM
i say good plan!

but do it the other way around, more jewels as you gain more cities.

brodie2219
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
hmmm has merit... the more cities you hold .... the less likely you are to jewel hunt as much.... maybe the value of the cities you hold controls the value of the Jewels...
hmmm... that would mean ... if I step out of my cities... I could hunt jewels at the same value.... :menacing: .... BUT ! :whoa: someone could come in and take my cities while I'm jewel hunting....
to hunt or to stay in the city....

Hey ! this 2 cents is probably worth more than the normal 2 cents..... must be another currency...

right, you step out of your city you could still collect jewels at a higher value with some risk so it will still reward the people who put lots of time in the game, but someone without time would still have a chance to catch up.

i think to keep people playing you gotta make them feel like they are acomplishing something right out of the gate. as opposed to me right now.....i cant hunt jewels 12 hours a day, all the recource area's are mostly full and i cant get enough money and troops to take a city much less hold it, if the jewels value went down with citys owned i might have a shot at taking a city, but i'd have a real hard time holding it.