PDA

View Full Version : Jewel hunting...again

Beezer
09-26-2005, 02:28 AM
In readin Miceky's posts in regards to jewel hunting, I get the feeling that it was designed to be a way to get back on your feet after sustaining devestating losses. Basically, making it to where you can never be completely eliminated from the game.

Well, what if jewel hunting was set up similar to the American welfare system. You can only use it until you reach a certain "income level" (including tax revenues, resources, etc.; not just geos on hand or in the bank), then you can no longer jewel hunt until you fall below that income level.

This, in conjunction to lowering the conversion rate for jewels would, in my opinion, make jewel hunting what it was truly intended for (recovering from devestating losses and getting started in the game) rather than a primary source of income.

What say the masses??

Cato
09-26-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't like the idea of restricting particular activities for particular players.

I do feel that jewel hunting should be primarily a getting-your-finances-off-to-a-good-start activity and that only beginners/recently devastated players should bother doing it.

But if a player who could live off of interest/resources wants to waste his time hunting for jewels, I think we should let him.

Just what I think.

Lukepuuk
09-26-2005, 02:46 AM
I actually like the jewel hunting for when I have nothing else to do.
It's much quicker then waiting for interest or mines or anything.
I know the idea would make scripting less valuable...but everybody would just jewel hunt to the max and we would all be the same.

The idea is good...but on a long term it brings problems.
Except for one thing....if you make it so that after a 200.000geo's someone cannot jewel hunt anymore...then on a long term scripters could only make use of interest instead of going for a million.

Timmetie
09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
i say go for it! Pure tactics!

but only after there is some advantage for armies, etc, so there's at least something one can do. tactics and stuff.

So it won't be, HA! i destroy you in 8 days! and you cant stop it.

RossumsChild
09-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I think it is a great idea, and I think the breakpoint should be *very* low (maybe a couple of thousand geos or less).

The necessity to jewel hunt constantly is what has turned me off to GEwar. I still play a little, but the mindless drudgery of "type city name, click, click, type number [repeat]" is sickening, and I have better things to do with my free time than kill brain cells on pointless tasks just so I can keep up with some fellow with a desk job that lets him spend every moment collecting Jewels.

Cato
09-27-2005, 12:48 AM
i agree wholeheartedly

rasqual
09-27-2005, 05:59 AM
Well, what if jewel hunting was set up similar to the American welfare system. You can only use it until you reach a certain "income level" (including tax revenues, resources, etc.; not just geos on hand or in the bank), then you can no longer jewel hunt until you fall below that income level.

Don't make it arbitrary. You have to come up with a real-world reason for it.

How about this -- just as I've been suggesting Mickey contrive a "morale engine" for both civilian populations and troops (he could recycle it for investor confidence, too), how about if he implements an "ennui engine?" The affluent would find jewel hunting a banal waste of their leisure time. It just wouldn't be as rewarding to them, if you catch my drift. ;-)

Whokay, Mickey'll have an ennui engine in play by tomorrow, tea time. Will that be two lumps?

anthonywitt
09-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Beezer how could suggest a thing. I live for hunting jewels.

Jewel hunting evens the odds unless you are a scriptgeek.

Beezer
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Beezer how could suggest a thing.
Just throwing ideas out there.