PDA

View Full Version : Resources and cities

rasqual
09-27-2005, 01:50 PM
How about this -- most cities will have resources near 'em, that'll be part of their tax base. The occupiuer of the city will choose the tax rate.

Why not? Isn't that how cities compete for investment dollars nowadays, by offering tax incentives?

Furthermore, population of a city would grow or shrink as economic activity waxes or wanes. Populations would no longer have no explanation ("why are 420,000,000 people living in this resource-bereft continent, but only 30,000,000 are living in this other resource-laden place?"). What you'd be modeling is people migrating to where the jobs are.

Right?

Also, how about if the cost of taking over a city is high -- very high! Obligatory reconstruction payments. Also, some of that city's resources would be destroyed as collateral damage.

But the main thing is letting the tax rate of each city's resources be in control of the occupying authorities. There could be a special tax break for allies, though (code for special treatment of that particular cohort).

Doesn't anyone think it's kind of weird that the tax rates are globally controlled?

TheMightySquigglies
09-27-2005, 02:16 PM
would that not help the rich get richer? I suppose that very "real life" but doesn't help the appeal of the game in my opinion.

It would only work if all accounts were reset to zero so everyone has a fair chance to take over the most affluent cities.

Also you would then have to get into the multiple worlds thing that has been talked about before so player can compete on a similar level.

Beezer
09-27-2005, 02:49 PM
would that not help the rich get richer? I suppose that very "real life" but doesn't help the appeal of the game in my opinion.

It would only work if all accounts were reset to zero so everyone has a fair chance to take over the most affluent cities.
How affluent a city is has nothing to do with the game currently. The amount of taxes you received is based on population. Bigger cities get more taxes. If the tax rates were controlled by the owner of the city, you could grow your city (and your tax base) by offering lower taxes than the larger population cities. So you wouldn't need to reset anything.

And nothing is stopping you from taking the "more affluent cities" from the existing players. This is war after all!!

rasqual
09-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, that's what betas are for. ;-)