PDA

View Full Version : giantic mass armies ...

Sperber
09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
what do you think about a change in the daily upkeep costs:

there are some players that are able to build giantic armies, this makes it very difficult for new players, or smaller allies to attack them (to tell the truth: actually they have almost no chance of being successful in doing so ...). how about scaling the upkeep cost like this:

more than 25000 troops - upkeep +20 %
more than 50000 troops - upkeep +40 %
more than 75000 troops - upkeep +60 %

(the troopnumbers and upkeep% should be adapted in some way, i dont know what the averages in this game are....)

War_Peace
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
The bigger you are, the bigger you pay...

I'm liking this...

TheMightySquigglies
09-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm, I think a lot of people may come on telling you its not fair punishing people who have built up the resources to create those large armies but I for one am with you.

I actually think it is extrermely cheap to upkeep an army at the moment, even if its very large.

Timmetie
09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
oke, then make people use their armies well.

So your idea, but then divided by the number of cities (think up a formula here).

This would mean you cant overdefend a city.

Sperber
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
So your idea, but then divided by the number of cities (think up a formula here).

yeah, that would make sense: the more cities you have, the more troops can be supplied - but getting over the limit gives penalties again ...

Lukepuuk
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
And paying for moving them...

Roger Andrew
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
.... back to an idea of Air vey expensive and size limited ... sea cheaper but a port tax.

Stationary armies should be much more expensive.

under 1000 ... free
Over 1000, say 0.5 Geo per 1000 per day?

TheMightySquigglies
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
maybe your upkeep is in line with the value of the city?

Pay more whilst your troops are on the move?

We're getting back to oil and cotton for troops here aren't we?

TheMightySquigglies
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
.... back to an idea of Air vey expensive and size limited ... sea cheaper but a port tax.

Stationary armies should be much more expensive.

under 1000 ... free
Over 1000, say 0.5 Geo per 1000 per day?

That would have to take into account total troops otherwise I'd make loads of 900 men armies ;)

Sperber
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
And paying for moving them...

hmm... i would favorize using oil instead of paying... but then the progammers would have to implant a buy function for ressources also :/

Lukepuuk
09-30-2005, 02:30 PM
hmm... i would favorize using oil instead of paying... but then the progammers would have to implant a buy function for ressources also :/

I was for paying it with oil but don't think we will see that very soon though. Think Mickey is allready going crazy from all these feature suggestions that have to be 'done by morning' ;)

Sperber
09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Think Mickey is allready going crazy from all these feature suggestions that have to be 'done by morning' ;)

so he has to get up earlier ;) in the army they told us, that a human male does only need 2.45h of sleep a day in order to survive ... :spin:

Cato
10-01-2005, 01:46 PM

This is definitely a REALLY good idea!!!

Timmetie
10-01-2005, 04:19 PM
This is definitely a REALLY good idea!!!

also one posted about 5 times already. and logical cause you'd be setting either a very low limit onarmy size or a very low cost.
and the demand/offer would regulate prices.

I'm sure sperber was just repeating the point, hoping, cause its not the idea lacking. idea's enough :)

birq
10-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I like the idea of bigger armies costing proportionally more, but I also think that it should cost a whole heck of a lot more to camp troops outside someone else's city (except maybe an alliance member) since you have to maintain supply lines and such.

Lukepuuk
10-01-2005, 04:53 PM
When I was on the toilet just 2 minutes ago I had to think of Sperber... darn that sounds weird.

It's the army upkeep cost that are wayyyyyyyy to low.
I can build how many troops I want and just walk all over everyone.
But if the upkeep costs go up(really up)...then it would kill me to just build and build more armies.

And after that we could look forward to paying for army movement.
But the upkeep cost would help the smaller players by draining the bankaccounts of the bigger ones.

Any suggestions or questions other then if I washed my hands after I came from the toilet?

Sperber
10-01-2005, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Lukepuuk]When I was on the toilet just 2 minutes ago I had to think of Sperber... QUOTE]

i dont know waht to say 'bout that ... :shock:

Lukepuuk
10-01-2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=Lukepuuk]When I was on the toilet just 2 minutes ago I had to think of Sperber... QUOTE]

i dont know waht to say 'bout that ... :shock:

SOrry...i was on funny-mode.
But I think my argument about army upkeep costs does make a point.

Timmetie
10-01-2005, 06:22 PM
then an army in a city with an enemy army in front of it should cost even more, cause their supply lines are even harder.

Lukepuuk
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Now you might just be thinking too far again ;)

Timmetie
10-01-2005, 07:46 PM
when someone opens the realism issue, they've got to be reminded that we're on the internet for a reason.

The Real World Sux0rz.

rasqual
10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Army costs must be increased, indeed. Varying costs depending on what they're doing is also important. Obviously, deploying overseas and attacking are expensive.

Cost per mile of travel, cost of a battle, etc. I think peacetime costs could be relatively low, unless the government is engaging in defense R&D.