PDA

View Full Version : FS GLOBAL 2005 on Google Earth

maxwelleb
10-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi,
i don't know if my idea is new but there is this addon for the flight simulator. It is basically 16GB of meshes from the whole world. Well GoogleEarth has the pictures but the geometry is missing. So it must be possible to combine those two things. What do you think?
http://fsim.net/fsglobal2005/indexfsg.htm

hypeserver
10-08-2005, 12:23 AM
good question not quite shure on how to solve this one, but exactly why would you want to remesh GE with this? I mean it's pretty acruate, but not shure how many people would actually consider this idea since GE is pretty descent at the moment with its features and meshes.

Forkboy2
10-08-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm almost positive Google Earth uses the same exact data as FS Global for elevation mesh. As far as I know there is only 1 set of this detailed of data on a global scale, which is from the Space Shuttle mission a few years ago.

Matt

TJ1
10-09-2005, 09:55 AM
There's several different resolutions of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data depending on sources. As you say a lot came from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) with 90 meter resolution.

There are several other sources, such as Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) in 30m resolution. ASTER resolution ranges from 15m to 90m, depending on the wavelength.

The resolution available in different parts of the world differs. The entire United States has DEM coverage at 30 meter resolution (1 arc second), and much of the country is available at 10 meter resoultion (1/3 arc second).