PDA

View Full Version : What is the answer??

Beezer
10-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Dang!! You people just can't be pleased!! ;)

Seriously though, what is the answer to the scripting/jewel collecting issue?? Mickey has tried everything and people complain each time he changes something.

Obviously, you can't please all the people all of the time. So what can be done to please the most people all of the time??

blitzkrieg
10-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I was just thinking about this....

In my opinion, more needs to be done to create some passive income (income without work). If you think about it, a fully automatic jewel hunting script is just this. The sliding scale of jewel hunting values is good because it creates a rapid way to recover or to start up for a newbie and also makes jewel scripting obsolete after the arbitrary level is reached. Interest money is good because you try to maintain a buffer amount in the bank to earn geos once you're established (well I do anyway).

Resources are the bane of this game at the moment. Everything has a balance and right now resources are lagging way behind what they need to be. I got a cotton field that gave me 14 pounds per day - at .08/pound, it returned 1.12 geos per day - that's over a month to get my 50 geo investment back and that field isn't even on the bottom of the scale.

It has been fixed by a 5 times reap / 5 times shorter time, so if you upkeep the field/mine/well planting you can make some tidy money passively. Of course we are still stuck with all the old f/m/w's but in a week or two the difference will show and holes will appear.

There has been some good suggestions about city improvements and maybe some other "empire" style additions for money creation that can be considered or of course as a quick fix a few more types of resources.

Why hasn't any moderator responded to some of the feature suggestion threads that have generated large responses? The natives are getting restless.

In short, I believe the sliding scale of jewel value was right because it does work in making scripting jewels obsolete. But there are a few more cancers to be cut out (multiple accounts are a major bypass of this jewel value system).

Hope that helps, (my opinion for what it's worth).

Blitzkriegmj.

Lukepuuk
10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
The sliding scale was a good idea but it's not really gonna work.
Keeping an eye on who's collecting way to fast is a better way i think.
Anthonywitt came up with that one.

I also don't see a lot of scripters anymore these days. It's become harder on them to make autoscripts.
You would still notice some because there aren't that many players yet, so everyone with a little more cash is noticed.
But imagine 5000 more people playing it...you wouldn't need barriers or anything because if they can't build autoscripts, all other scripts are not gonna do it against so many people.

reklats
10-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Passive income.. that's what I suggested almost a month ago.
Jewel hunting is a good idea in theory but it's not going to help this game continue. Those who hunt jewels will get bored/frustrated and leave because the successful players script jewels or already have enough money to not worry about it. They have enough money in the bank that the interest is their passive income.

Lukepuuk
10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
That doesn't help newbies to get in the game.
After months and months of passive income the big guys will own it all and the only thing newbies have is jewel hunt to get there.

Beezer
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Why hasn't any moderator responded to some of the feature suggestion threads that have generated large responses? The natives are getting restless.
All the coding decisions are mad by Mickey becasue all the coding is done by Mickey. None of the other moderators (myself included) have access to the GE War code.

socrates
10-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Dang!! You people just can't be pleased!! ;)

Seriously though, what is the answer to the scripting/jewel collecting issue?? Mickey has tried everything and people complain each time he changes something.

Obviously, you can't please all the people all of the time. So what can be done to please the most people all of the time??

Well you can't please all of the them all of the time, so why not please most of them most of the time.

I agree the Sliding scale is the best method to make scripting redundant.

But maybe our what Mickey has in mind, as a reasonable start up level is different from what we have. I just think its a little low. But that's my personal opinion.

My Suggestion... leave the sliding scale thing there. But perhaps tie the scale to some gross income only... and not total G$ in hand....

Lukepuuk
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Most people I talked to now, liked having an interactive game here, even when they already own money. Just something to do.
Now it's just sitting back and staring at the board.

I think there should be a way that those players who are most active here, are rewarded for it and until now that could only be done with jewels.

Lukepuuk
10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
How about using Flash for it? Or are there also people who can crack Flash?

I did see most scripts take advantage of the City name. If it was written different then what Google Earth searches, a lot of scripts would be useless.

A long time ago I came up with the idea of making a dailey quiz...just something like: In which city blabla....and then make that worth something.
Just to give the players something to do each day other then just buying a well or mine.
The downside is someone would have to invent the questions...

Or bring in a stockmarket or something...or a dailey lottery?
Just some ideas...

js3486
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Why not subsidize the newbies? Kind of like a welafare system. Tax the heck out of the "haves" and then we can split the tax between those newbies that are working to build their own empire. Well maybe until ther net worth get to be about 5000 banked geos or collateral totatling this amount, and arrange yet another sliding scale based on player equity. Seems to be the status quo!! Maybe we can just split the holdings of the top Ten players and place a moritorium on attacking the newbies for 96 hours so they may build up there fortunes? The system as it stands rewards the Newbies and provides limited liability to larger more established players by increasing difficulty in challenging them. The middle man is truly the one that suffers because we have not yet established ourselves financially and built the necessary wealth to engage in rapid conquest. This gets more and more difficult with the changes that are made without notice. Come on Mickey et al, put yourselves in our shoes, this sucks!! Stop the Oligarchy!!! :x

reklats
10-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Flash is pretty secure... that'd probably be a good start. Then people'd have to write a screen scraping OCR. Hmm .

Lukepuuk
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I think the older players would not find that way honest...i think the newbies have to do something for their money too. Let's not punish the players for doing well.

Lukepuuk
10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Flash is pretty secure... that'd probably be a good start. Then people'd have to write a screen scraping OCR. Hmm .

And I think that may be pretty hard to do for scripters.

Mickey
10-10-2005, 06:09 PM
The Flash idea might be pretty good, although I don't know much Flash myself.

My next move will likely be adding text verification boxes to most major moves (converting resources, attacking, etc) to prevent scripting. Other online games (MUCH larger than ours) do this for every little move, so it might be the way to go.

As for subsidizing newbies - I like the idea, but I want to avoid doing anything that would encourage people to create multiple accounts. This would probably get MORE people to create extra accounts, which would be a bigger problem than we have now.

brodie2219
10-10-2005, 07:20 PM
If you put the number conformatoin with the resources please put some sort of convert all button, preferably enabling you to convert multiple resouces at once?

thanks in advance
brodie

Beezer
10-10-2005, 07:55 PM
If you put the number conformatoin with the resources please put some sort of convert all button, preferably enabling you to convert multiple resouces at once?
Excellent idea. I second this motion.

js3486
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Mickey I was kidding about Subsidizing Newbies. I do have a few questions, How do you determine what a newbie is? When I started I was more clueless than I currently am and I wasted inexcess of 3000 Geos just trying to get a few cities and then further decimated by alliances. It was a painful learning experience. Secondly You said you could allow us to pack more mines in the areas but you are reluctant to do so. What has to happen before you will take this step? Thanks for the work you're doing I kow it is tough Especially from overly critical people like myself!!

js3486
10-10-2005, 08:16 PM

thanks in advance
brodie

I hope that does not happen, I almost went blind squinting at some of the previous number conformation methods

socrates
10-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Alternatively, instead of subsidizing the newbies, make Jewels worth a lot !
maybe ... 10 for the first set of 50 Jewels you get.... then the value starts to drop....

You've got 500 G$ for hunting 50 jewels.. that's enought to get a 10k army going... and a little spare...

anthonywitt
10-11-2005, 04:59 AM
I have a question? The objective of the game is what?
There is a ranking chart and this would mean there could be a number one player or alliance. I am correct, correct?

I have niticed that when a player ar alliance gets to big mods attack to bring them down. Mods with an abudence of resoruces to do so. Mods that at one time were allowed to script. Yes I know they are beta testing but lately they seen to be testing the players in the game and not the game its self.

There is not a seeable goal to this game if it cant be acheived due to beta testers testing the players. Is this what you guys are for?

nokras
10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
The point of the game is to be on top of the rankings. The only mod that i know was active just quit because of all the cheeting acusations.

Beezer
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a question? The objective of the game is what?
There is a ranking chart and this would mean there could be a number one player or alliance. I am correct, correct?

I have niticed that when a player ar alliance gets to big mods attack to bring them down. Mods with an abudence of resoruces to do so. Mods that at one time were allowed to script. Yes I know they are beta testing but lately they seen to be testing the players in the game and not the game its self.

There is not a seeable goal to this game if it cant be acheived due to beta testers testing the players. Is this what you guys are for?

We aren't trying to "test" the players. We are simply trying to play the game. I sincerely hope that you don't think that the moderators are trying to some how manipulate the game. I can assure you that we are not. We've had some time to play here recently so we were only trying to enjoy playing GE War. Nothing more.

And I can assure you that I have no idea how to script.

Timmetie
10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
puppet masters!

you got your money somewhere else then? or jewel hunting? if the 2nd, i have huge respect :D

Beezer
10-14-2005, 02:16 PM
puppet masters!

you got your money somewhere else then? or jewel hunting? if the 2nd, i have huge respect :D
I got my money the same as most others:

jewel hunting, resources, and city taxes

Timmetie
10-14-2005, 06:54 PM
then my respect is yours.

Beezer
10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
then my respect is yours.
Thanks. But it's not like I had a whole crap load of money. I'm not sure where that idea came from. Towards the end of my reign, I spent **** near all I had buying troops so that I could hold onto Cape Town for 2 days.