PDA

View Full Version : Poor Resolution Randburg South Africa

greenmonster
10-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I have just recently downloaded Google Earth and I was hoping to find my house, but the resolution over most parts of Johannesburg is really poor. I can find the general area of Bordeaux and Old Parks Sports Ground, but it is so unlcear that I can't make out any other landmarks. How do you get better resolution pictures? And also why are all the road names loaded in the US but not in SA?

Paul

araT
10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Welcome to Google Earth, and to Google Earth Hacks :)

I'm sorry to hear your area isnt in high-resolution, unforunately there is nothing we can do for you..

You could try requesting your area at the official Google Earth forums (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0)

You may be lucky, keep your fingers crossed for around the 15th of the month, they do data updates around then!

Good luck!

T.

crusher
10-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I have just recently downloaded Google Earth and I was hoping to find my house, but the resolution over most parts of Johannesburg is really poor. I can find the general area of Bordeaux and Old Parks Sports Ground, but it is so unlcear that I can't make out any other landmarks. How do you get better resolution pictures? And also why are all the road names loaded in the US but not in SA?

Paul

I'm in Randburg as well .... and have got used to the idea that we are not (a) a strategic area, or (b) in the USofA, which is well covered at hi-res even though it is a huge country - I guess we will always be way down Google's priority list! It seems that only potential strategic areas / installations are covered in hi-res in South Africa (e.g. Pretoria, power station sites, military areas, etc). Have a look at Pelidaba, west of Pretoria, you can see clearly down into the giant cooling towers ... why?? Because it was a nuclear research site in the "bad old days" and it is rumoured that it was there that SA first developed nuclear weapon capability ...

But then again Cape Town central is well-covered, but it's the only SA city that many overseas folk have heard of. Of course the Koeberg Nuclear power station north of CT is also well covered.

McMaster_de
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
What shall the european people say? There are so much places not in hi-res!!

Stadsman
10-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, look at it this way. Google is a commercial enterprise which means that the higher the demand for a product (in this case high resolution imagery) the more likely they will develop/acquire it. As Google acquires their data from other commercial enterprises, yes, it is likely that these companies are also doing surveillance work for military purposes, but most likely far from exclusively. The satellites and surveillance planes are more likely to cover those areas for which the demand is high, be it for military purposes or other (I wonder what the biggest commercial use is for satellite imagery, maybe remote sensing for oil and minerals or for real estate and mapping purposes). In a twisted way these 'complaints' remind me of the europeans complaining about 'crap' american movies. But they are succesful in Europe as many people like to watch them despite some individual complaints. Demand drives the business, not the odd desires of an individual.

crusher
10-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Well, look at it this way. Google is a commercial enterprise which means that the higher the demand for a product (in this case high resolution imagery) the more likely they will develop/acquire it......

......In a twisted way these 'complaints' remind me of the europeans complaining about 'crap' american movies. But they are succesful in Europe as many people like to watch them despite some individual complaints. Demand drives the business, not the odd desires of an individual.

My post was not in any way a complaint about GE, and as a businessman, I understand the supply/demand dynamics of business. I do understand that we, down in "Darkest Africa", cannot expect to have access to the technology advances of, say, the USA, and we are used to being a few months behind the world's technological developments. Especially as those advances were initiated mainly in the USA / other Western countries.

But we can hope ...... :rolleyes: ...as we also hope that one day our S. African powers-that-be will stop supporting those regimes that actively perpetrate the various terrorist atrocities.....? I'll be dead by the time that happens.