PDA

View Full Version : Alliance information divulgence

rasqual
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Recent newcomers to the Stone Table alliance, I presume, can see all notes for the alliance, even dating to before their arrival.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Now in the case of Stone Table, we don't have any skeletons in our closet -- yet. So no matter. But among other things, I can imagine these messages and their history could themselves end up being a factor in deciding whether to invite someone to an alliance. If the messages internal to the alliance indicated past machinations against this person, for example, a scenario is imaginable in which the invitee would join the alliance, see the history of plots and devious behavior against his person, and leave. Well, what of it, you say? Simple -- he's also read everything else about the alliance -- knows its strategies, its tactics -- the works.

This possibility alone should have alliances thinking very carefully about seeking to ally with previous opponents. In the real world, a new ally wouldn't have access to every memo or letter shared between allies, so this wouldn't be a factor. In this game, though, this isn't so.

Might I recommend this -- a new ally will only see messages posted since his own joining of the alliance?

On the other hand, if alliance messages have been used as a sort of informal charter, then the newcomer would have to have it re-iterated again. For this reason, I'd suggest something further -- that each alliance have the opportunity to post a charter within the alliance. This charter would come up on a page of it's own -- not lost in the message traffic. It would be easily editable by the alliance administrator. In the future, perhaps democratic methods for redaction could be offered (think of the wiki approach, with voting for amendments and such). Key point -- it would be visible only to members.

Again, ideas for rumination. There are serious political consequences to the status quo which do NOT obtain in the real world, and which make strategic decisions difficult in the current game. It's very difficult not to risk tipping your hand inappropriately given the current availability of alliance message history to alliance newcomers, and it's hard to imagine being able to acquaint newcomers to the alliance's raison d'etre without the ability to post and maintain a charter.

9:00 PM, Mickey? ;-)

TheMightySquigglies
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
agree with you completely. I also think there should be a "bedding in period" before the new person sees all the account details of the alliance they have joined. Its far too easy to pop in to see the amount of geos and troops then leave for some other alliance with that info.

cowtreky
10-11-2005, 12:25 AM
I agree with having limited access to posted notes from the date they first joined. However leaving a space for a charter is a good idea but could also be remedied by pm.

I guess the motto here is be careful whom you allow in your alliance because there is always a danger of spies.:spin: