PDA

View Full Version : Espionage

rasqual
10-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Problems have been identified in a couple areas germane to this post:

(a) Alliances. A person can join an alliance, note the other members stats, and leave. This is certainly a betrayal of the invitation, but all's fair in love and GEwar, and we can expect subterfuge to occur.

(b) Multiple identities. Players can have several identities, allowing players to control a lot more assets under a single human aegis.

OK, here's the new one:

(c) Players with multiple identities participating in multiple alliances so they can know everything about all members and the internal dynamics of all alliances.

Notice that in case (c), situation (b) obviates (a). That is, someone with multiple identities would benefit from staying in the alliance -- they could wreak their havoc elsewhere under a separate identiity, profiting in an ongoing way from information gleaned in the alliance.

We're talking insidious espionage on a potentially grand scale, and there's nothing anyone could do about it -- to my knowledge.

Thoughts?

birq
10-11-2005, 03:35 AM
Are you through editing this now? :)

I've been giving this some thought, and it keeps coming back to startup cost. If it cost $5 (or even $2 for that matter), people would be more hesitant to create new accounts.

I hate that idea, but I'd be willing to pay $5 to get rid of those insidious cheaters.

jduddy
10-11-2005, 03:40 AM
Problems have been identified in a couple areas germane to this post:

(a) Alliances. A person can join an alliance, note the other members stats, and leave. This is certainly a betrayal of the invitation, but all's fair in love and GEwar, and we can expect subterfuge to occur.

(b) Multiple identities. Players can have several identities, allowing players to control a lot more assets under a single human aegis.

OK, here's the new one:

(c) Players with multiple identities participating in multiple alliances so they can know everything about all members and the internal dynamics of all alliances.

Notice that in case (c), situation (b) obviates (a). That is, someone with multiple identities would benefit from staying in the alliance -- they could wreak their havoc elsewhere under a separate identiity, profiting in an ongoing way from information gleaned in the alliance.

We're talking insidious espionage on a potentially grand scale, and there's nothing anyone could do about it -- to my knowledge.

Thoughts?

Just one thought...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

As I see it multiple identities is the main problem. Eliminating concurrent IP addresses is not the solution---my son also has an account.

Ongoing alliances require trust. Trust but verify! Smart alliances will ping/test their members.

jduddy
10-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Are you through editing this now? :)

I've been giving this some thought, and it keeps coming back to startup cost. If it cost $5 (or even $2 for that matter), people would be more hesitant to create new accounts.

I hate that idea, but I'd be willing to pay $5 to get rid of those insidious cheaters.

This is a great game! I too would be willing to pay to play. Startup cost of 5 $ would reduce the cheaters and would also sure help Mickey!

socrates
10-11-2005, 03:44 AM
don't mind paying 5 USD but how to pay ?
trying to keep my credit card bills down..
dang...

rasqual
10-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Aw, gee, that's no good either. Heck, it's worse. If you have a poor weasel from the sticks cheatin', at least you know why. He's a poor weasel from the sticks and wants to be a big dog. But a $5 entry fee to the cheatin' club of multiple identities just means the silver spoon crowd will be the cheaters. Danged mammas boys never done a days work in their lives silver spoon soup sippers, I tell 'e!

;-)

birq
10-11-2005, 03:51 AM
Aw, gee, that's no good either. Heck, it's worse. If you have a poor weasel from the sticks cheatin', at least you know why. He's a poor weasel from the sticks and wants to be a big dog. But a $5 entry fee to the cheatin' club of multiple identities just means the silver spoon crowd will be the cheaters. Danged mammas boys never done a days work in their lives silver spoon soup sippers, I tell 'e!

;-)

Do you need to borrow $5? Is that it? :)

rasqual
10-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Do you need to borrow $5? Is that it? :)
Click Paypal twice when the day comes. ;-)

Hey! How about a GEWar equivalent of Paypal, to handle in-game transactions?

js3486
10-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Just one thought...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

As I see it multiple identities is the main problem. Eliminating concurrent IP addresses is not the solution---my son also has an account.

Ongoing alliances require trust. Trust but verify! Smart alliances will ping/test their members.

I concur my son also has an account, And I access this from behind a corporate firewall to check throughout the day. This is about to be the largest telcom provider in the world and I have no idea how many people in my company access this site so IP logging might no be the best method for tracking since we have a NAT pool for all employees. Just my thoughts.

socrates
10-12-2005, 01:03 AM
cookies ?? that detect automatically tell you of other cookies with other GEWar account?

rasqual
10-12-2005, 02:43 AM
cookies ?? that detect automatically tell you of other cookies with other GEWar account?
No good. Users can resort to a lot of simple workarounds -- such as having two different logons in Windows XP, with "fast user switching" enabled. They could literally flip between sessions within seconds, playing both roles at once.

Heck, you can do a "runas" inside of a single interactive logon, and be running two profiles at once with different cookie sets. Geez . . .

There's absolutely no fix for this. Any cure would be worse than the disease.

TheLeveller
10-12-2005, 03:25 AM

...Thoughts?
Is this the reason why you invited me to your allience, saying "Join the Stone Temple alliance!!" What you say under (a) is exactly what I thought that moment...