PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

rasqual
10-12-2005, 10:09 PM
This has become a game that doesn't depend on the GE interface as much as it used to.

What can be done to reverse that? We're all back to being web-heads again.

Lukepuuk
10-12-2005, 10:26 PM
It is true. Because I'm working all day while playing, I hardly ever use Google Earth anymore.
Love the game still though...but I just now started to think I don't use GE anymore.

brodie2219
10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
i use it to check out the cites, theres no way to sort the cities by region.

Beezer
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
This has become a game that doesn't depend on the GE interface as much as it used to.

What can be done to reverse that? We're all back to being web-heads again.
Good point. The game was originally conceived to leverage the coolness of Google Earth. Now, most of the game is web based. We need to get back to using Google Earth more.

Mickey
10-12-2005, 11:37 PM
My plan is to write more kml-calls-another-kml code, but it may be a little while - that's gonna be messy! It's in the works, though.

reklats
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
That would be cool.. It would actually be fun if the entire game could be played from within Google Earth as well. ;)

Radeon
10-13-2005, 12:03 AM
The other day i gave a presentation at my school on google earth. No one in the room even heard about google earth. I used a school laptop and projected it onto the front of the room. All of the students thought it was really cool. ;)

Beezer
10-13-2005, 01:09 AM
The other day i gave a presentation at my school on google earth. No one in the room even heard about google earth. I used a school laptop and projected it onto the front of the room. All of the students thought it was really cool. ;)
Way to go Radeon. You sound like a real computer geek.

rasqual
10-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Good show, sir.

I did the same thing with the curriculum committee for our Chicago schools. One of them had just that day had a conversation with her post-grad son, who was into serious GIS stuff. He had lamented to her that she'd never get a chance, in her career, to play with GIS-oriented software. Maybe not, but I sent her off to kick his butt with the next best thing. ;-)

It's true, educators are barely, barely, barely catching on. It doesn't surprise me, sir, that you beat the teachers to it. Go look at the the keyhole boards. You'll see that in the educational area, there are more students posting cool stuff than teachers. How pitiful is that? Or . . . wait . . . how EXCELLENT is that? ;-)

Try GE in G-Force mode, flying through mountain valleys, on an overhead projector while sitting close to the screen/wall. It's capable of giving you vertigo and making you sick (like any good video game ;-)

rasqual
10-13-2005, 03:04 AM
My plan is to write more kml-calls-another-kml code, but it may be a little while - that's gonna be messy! It's in the works, though.
Among other things, expose information about players ONLY in their home base CDATA -- not in any web interface. Alliances should also have a home base -- perhaps a concentric circle around the host's home base. And it should ALSO be the only place where information about that alliance is available. NOTHING on the web.

Same for armies. Same for resources. Same for anything. If you want information, you have to drill for it.

Also, here's an idea -- provide a dynamic graphical overlay that's generated server-side as a function of user activity around the planet. As a simple example, take every BBOX you get, and add the value red 1 to each pixel in that area. That will show what people are viewing. Maybe do so only for areas that aren't huge, so as to make for more detail.

Start offering stats for cities by using a cluster of extrusions, instead of a single one. There's no reason each city -- or home base -- couldn't be a cluster of four or more contiguous extrusions, each a different color (can anyone say RGBYBW?) to represent some different relevant stat.

All kindsa possibilities.

-_-ComputerGeek-_-
10-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Hey arnt i the computer geek around here??? :lol:

Mickey
10-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Among other things, expose information about players ONLY in their home base CDATA -- not in any web interface. Alliances should also have a home base -- perhaps a concentric circle around the host's home base. And it should ALSO be the only place where information about that alliance is available. NOTHING on the web.

Same for armies. Same for resources. Same for anything. If you want information, you have to drill for it.
I like the idea. The only downside is that it will give scripters an added advantage. Since there's no way for me to prevent people from writing scripts that parse the KML files, this would tend to encourage more scripts, which is not what we want.

Also, here's an idea -- provide a dynamic graphical overlay that's generated server-side as a function of user activity around the planet. As a simple example, take every BBOX you get, and add the value red 1 to each pixel in that area. That will show what people are viewing. Maybe do so only for areas that aren't huge, so as to make for more detail.
Bandwidth/server load aside, cool idea.

Start offering stats for cities by using a cluster of extrusions, instead of a single one. There's no reason each city -- or home base -- couldn't be a cluster of four or more contiguous extrusions, each a different color (can anyone say RGBYBW?) to represent some different relevant stat.
Very nice idea!

rasqual
10-13-2005, 04:27 AM
I like the idea. The only downside is that it will give scripters an added advantage. Since there's no way for me to prevent people from writing scripts that parse the KML files, this would tend to encourage more scripts, which is not what we want.

HTML tables in the web pages are pretty scrapeable too, of course. But yes, shredding the KML is pretty easy. On the other hand, this would also make your own game as extensible as your game has proven Google Earth itself to be. I'm still waiting for someone to register googleearthwarhacks.com. ;-)

Mickey
10-13-2005, 04:34 AM
HTML tables in the web pages are pretty scrapeable too, of course.
I certainly don't deny that. My point is that we should offer much of the information via the website so people don't have to resort to writing KML-parsing scripts to get the data they want - they can just use the web interface. It's not a way to stop scripts, but simply to make them less of a necessity.

elk-tamer
10-13-2005, 04:44 AM
What happened to the golden days when parsing the ge war kml was encouraged?
I like it because it makes the game extensible and customisable. Interaction is more like it would be with real world data.
What's wrong with someone downloading the data, analyzing it, then making a decision based on presentation not available in the interface?