PDA

View Full Version : Layers

ehrens
10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Is it possible to add my own layer? If so, how do I do this? Does anybody have an example or site that I can go to learn how to do this? Does anybody know if this is even possible or not possible?

Thanks!

martin
10-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi,

Edit -> Add -> Image Overlay

Good luck ; )

ehrens
10-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi again... Maybe I just don't understand what I'm trying to do, but I don't think image overlay is what I want...

I'd like to mimic a layer, like the lodging layer. Instead of lodging, I'd like to track alumni residency from my database. I have points for each alumni. So, here's what I'd like to do...

1. Create a layer that resides in the client down on the left corner with the other LAYERS called ALUMNI.
2. If the user clicks on that layer, have all the points of the alumni come up, by using the data generated from my database.
3. Have that data dynamic so that if another person joins the assoc., the data changes so the next time the client views it, the layer dynamically shows the new data.

Is that possible? If it is by using overlays, then I'm missing something because I thought overlays were just graphics.

Thanks.

Forkboy2
10-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi again... Maybe I just don't understand what I'm trying to do, but I don't think image overlay is what I want...

I'd like to mimic a layer, like the lodging layer. Instead of lodging, I'd like to track alumni residency from my database. I have points for each alumni. So, here's what I'd like to do...

1. Create a layer that resides in the client down on the left corner with the other LAYERS called ALUMNI.
2. If the user clicks on that layer, have all the points of the alumni come up, by using the data generated from my database.
3. Have that data dynamic so that if another person joins the assoc., the data changes so the next time the client views it, the layer dynamically shows the new data.

Is that possible? If it is by using overlays, then I'm missing something because I thought overlays were just graphics.

Thanks.

Yes, that's possible and probably not very difficult....except.....that you must know the latitude and longitude of every memer in the database or manually locate each of them by moving the placemark to correct location. Instead of adding an image overlay, you would do this with placemarks.

Matt

araT
10-15-2005, 04:53 PM
ehrens; Unfortunately at this point it is impossible to add or edit the layers, however! you can set placemarks for all all of your Allumni members and put them into a folder called Allumni members in your "My Places" section.. then when you tick/untick the checkbox next to the "Allumni" folder the placemarks will show up or go away.. its not quite what you want, but its a sollution! :)

T.

ehrens
10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the answers! Yeah, I'll try the placemarks and the overlays as solutions. I'm kinda bummed that I can't add layers. I assume that we have no idea if Google is ever planning on adding such functionality, right?

araT
10-17-2005, 01:33 PM
No idea whatsoever :) hopefully they will consider incorporate it, maybe you should suggest it to The Official Google Earth Forums (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0) - thats where the developers hang out :)

T.

ehrens
10-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, already have a post on there and I haven't had much action on it. I can't even get a salesperson to call me about the enterprise edition. It seems I might have a shot at something with that one, but I don't think they've released a trail version on the site yet...at least, I couldn't find one.

araT
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I think the enterprise edition comes with its own GE server? ie; *you* host the content, thus they cant put out a demo of it. It sucks that a sales rep wont get back to you, thats poor customer support, right there.

T.

macnetz
10-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi,

I think it's called dynamic data layers, see http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/EarthExternalData

Regards - Anton