PDA

View Full Version : Metro Populations

Beezer
10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Alright. I've updated most of the major cities metro populations. Some of the cities are much larger now. Hopefully, this will encourage more fighting over the larger cities.

So no more complaining about the metro popualtion of cities!!! ;)

His Lord Uberdude
10-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Minneapolis isn't any larger? I thought it would be....

Timmetie
10-15-2005, 01:40 PM
amsterdam doesnt have 7.2 mill people.

Beezer
10-15-2005, 01:46 PM
amsterdam doesnt have 7.2 mill people.
Amsterdam/Ranstand includes:

Amsterdam, Haarlem, Almere, Ijmuiden, Urecht, Amersfoot, Rotterdam, The Hague, Schiedam, Delft, Leiden, and Dordrecht

There's quite few cities like this. They include a lot of little cities around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_European_metropolitan_areas

TheLeveller
10-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Amsterdam, Haarlem, Almere, Ijmuiden, Urecht, Amersfoot, Rotterdam, The Hague, Schiedam, Delft, Leiden, and Dordrecht

There's quite few cities like this. They include a lot of little cities around it.

Alot of the cities you mentioned are not really that near. You make it sound like it's suburbs of Amsterdam. Den Hague and Rotterdam are quite far away.
Map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Netherlands_map_large.png)

Lukepuuk
10-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Amsterdam has 1 million max.

lol...i live in the netherlands... Rotterdam is a loooooong way from Amsterdam.
It's even in another Province...

Randstad is a definition for cities working together in shipment and trades and such...they are not the same city.
I would like to say so, as Amsterdam would be worth a lot and I'm from the Netherlands...but i'm affraid that wouldn't really be fair.

Beezer
10-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Amsterdam has 1 million max.

Dang! I get PM's wanting me to use all this metropolitan crap from Wiki, then I do and everyone gets all pissed off. There is just no pleasing you people!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I'll take a look at it later.

Any others that are amzingly inaccurate??

TheLeveller
10-15-2005, 03:23 PM
The german Ruhrgebiet should be added. It includes a couple bigger german cities (Dortmund, Bochum, Essen) in close distance to each other. The population is around 5.3 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr_Area (Ruhrgebiet / Ruhr area)
Map (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Lage_des_Ruhrgebiets.png)
It's a better choice than Cologne with its 968000.

Lukepuuk
10-15-2005, 03:24 PM
LOL beezer...i also edited my post about Randstad just seconds after you posted.

ps: good job on athens :)

Beezer
10-15-2005, 03:25 PM
So just because you live there, that makes you the expert?? ;) :lol:

I'll go in and change it later.

Lukepuuk
10-15-2005, 03:28 PM
So just because you live there, that makes you the expert?? ;) :lol:

I'll go in and change it later.

Yes it does with this hahaha.
Timmetie even more...he just told me that even Utrecht is now added to the Randstad(wasn't when I was still at school)...so in a few years randstad will probably cover the entire Netherlands :lol:

War_Peace
10-15-2005, 03:39 PM

I think you should keep them like that. One source for all the metropolitan areas would be more fair

Amsterdam 7 million, Tokyo 36 million and so on...

Lukepuuk
10-15-2005, 03:42 PM
But Randstad is not a city...i have no idea what it is doing in the Wikipedia.
It's not even like an area...how should I put it?

Every city in Holland can be part of the Randstad if they work towards it.
It's more like a trademark...the real Randstad is Rotterdam and surrounding cities.

Beezer
10-15-2005, 04:11 PM
I think you should keep them like that. One source for all the metropolitan areas would be more fair

Amsterdam 7 million, Tokyo 36 million and so on...
For Amsterdam, I'm going to take Luke and the others advice. I'll leave everything else as it is and handle on a case by case basis.

War_Peace
10-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Oooooooh! You do that and take Lukepuuk's advice then! :P :lol:

Well, it will be something like between realism and fun I think.

We have no one from Tokyo here to object that 36Million number!...

I still say go with the wikipedia thing. Never mind handling each case separately.

Lukepuuk? What do you say? Come on, Beezer said it's up to you :)

I mean, let's have some fun here guys! It will be more easy to modify and the game will have more wars and rewards and such... Come ooooon!!...

*All from Wiki Metro Areas* or in some cases(if the numbers are higher, I mean) *Wiki Individual City Pages*

Peace out...

Timmetie
10-15-2005, 06:34 PM
i agree, beezer should use one source, but the randstad is every large city in holland, it would be like counting the east cost as new york.

btw, new york has like 50 mill people right?

;)

blitzkrieg
10-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Just a query (I know I'm in the wrong section) but is there any plans to make a city's value dependant (or variable) on what is happening with it's ownership. i.e. if it gets nuked, It loses a percentage or it increases in population with stable ownership?

Beezer
10-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Just a query (I know I'm in the wrong section) but is there any plans to make a city's value dependant (or variable) on what is happening with it's ownership. i.e. if it gets nuked, It loses a percentage or it increases in population with stable ownership?
As far as I know, there is not.

Beezer
10-16-2005, 03:09 AM
Alright. I adjusted the population of Amsterdam. Are there any other glarring inaccuracies with the new metro populations that y'all see??

Mickey
10-16-2005, 03:12 AM
This is one of those things that will probably happen eventually, but not anytime real soon.

TheLeveller
10-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Didn't Amsterdam have more than 1.5 mio yesterday? I'm the owner of GEW-Amsterdam and surprised it's changed...

War_Peace
10-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Beezer, I still say that you should stick to "ONE SOURCE" thing. More complains will be on the way! :)

Susuka: I Japan haaa! Tokyo naaa 36Mio naaa! Hiaaaaa!!... :lol:

Beezer
10-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Didn't Amsterdam have more than 1.5 mio yesterday? I'm the owner of GEW-Amsterdam and surprised it's changed...
It was. I was informed by two of our players who live in Holland that this was an incorrect number. Further research showed that the correct population is 1.5 million people.

Timmetie
10-16-2005, 02:36 PM
just wait until mickey adds the coffeeshop recource.

weapon of mass pink elephants right there.

TheLeveller
10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
just wait until mickey adds the coffeeshop recource.

weapon of mass pink elephants right there.
Yeah, what's with the coffeeshop bonus tax?!? Well, lost the city anyway.

socrates
10-17-2005, 08:26 AM
urmmm what happens if mickey decided that to build some resources...
you need other types... :whoa:
so to have coffee shops... you need ... the basic stuff for space cookies....
Rangoon/Bangkok is going to be crazy.....

Lukepuuk
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
It was. I was informed by two of our players who live in Holland that this was an incorrect number. Further research showed that the correct population is 1.5 million people.

Way to go....Amsterdam is officially 750.000, but with the towns next to it being calculated as a metropolitan area, the number should now be correct.
7,5 million would mean that almost half of all Holland would live in Amsterdam.
Good work Beezer :D