PDA

View Full Version : "Aircraft Graveyard" - Davis Montham AFB

BlackKnight
07-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Lots of planes (ranging from C-130s to B-52) parked in the desert near Tucson, Arizona.

Stored there because of the low humidity to prevent corrosion.

Also take a lot to the southeast of the AirForce Base with disassembled B-52s laying around there to be seen by former Sovjet spy-satelites in order to survey the proceedings of ther SALT and START agreements.

felipeboralli
07-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Lots of planes (ranging from C-130s to B-52) parked in the desert near Tucson, Arizona.

Stored there because of the low humidity to prevent corrosion.

Also take a lot to the southeast of the AirForce Base with disassembled B-52s laying around there to be seen by former Sovjet spy-satelites in order to survey the proceedings of ther SALT and START agreements.

I think i´ve never seen something of this size. This one is really very good. But in that base i found long lines of what seems to be to me, pieces. Do you know what are those? (sending in the message)

Steeefan
07-22-2005, 04:59 PM
i absolutely have no clue...

grav8e
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm guessing you are right, probably spare aircraft parts and materials...but it's just a guess.

Brokter
07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Hy there,

I´ve been to the so called AMARC area near Tucson, Arizona in 2002. The things you can see south of the "graveyard" are mostly demounted engines. The airplanes who come to AMARC are going to be dismounted and they store the parts separately from the planes. I´ve done a guided tour in that area. There´s a museum beside the AMARC spot and starting from there you can join a one hour bus tour into the AMARC area. There they´ve told us all that stuff. They have special boxes to store the engines and other stuff. Only the electronics is left in the planes. But they cover the windows with a special foil to protect the planes from the aggressive sunlight and heat. Furthermore they empty out all the fluids in the planes so they can store them for years. But the tour guy always mentioned that AMARC isn´t a pure plane graveyard. They store planes to eventually reactivate them, or sell the parts to companies, privates, governments and so on. For example they reactivated some planes for the first gulf war where the US had a need for tank fighting planes.
Another thing is that they store stuff there for many years. Beside the boxes you can see Bell UH-1 helicopters from the vietnam era.

Here´s one of the coolest links I´ve ever seen according to AMARC.
Have fun guys.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/sleepingGiants
furtermore an interesting but not so cool link: http://www.go.to/AMARC
Greets from Frankfurt, Germany.

Brokter

felipeboralli
07-23-2005, 02:44 PM
very good site, this one of Kodak. enjoyed it a lot.

thanks for the link