PDA

View Full Version : Requirements to use the bank

Mickey
10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Our buddy "zionpc" had set up a bunch of fake accounts and transferred the initial money (60 or so Geos) to his account. This added up quite nicely for him. (on a side note - his armies all have one troop, so feel free to attack him :)).

I've implemented a few things to combat this, but I think that making a person "play" for a while before they can give money to someone else would be a good idea. What would that consist of, though?

- Set up a home base.
- Buy armies?
- Wait a week?
- Other ideas?

Lukepuuk
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
A week would already be good.
Also a minimum of armies? Say 1000 troops?

Loki
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Waiting a week is a reasonable idea, but it's a bit restrictive on free play. Perhaps the requirement should be spending the initial money? For example, you can trade money after you've spent the original 50 geos OR [other condition such as 1 week play]?

Just an idea, maybe someone else can alter it or contribute. :)

Rob

Mickey
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Perhaps the requirement should be spending the initial money?
I've thought about that as well. I'll have to tweak a number of pages so I keep track of that, but it might be our best bet.

His Lord Uberdude
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Maybe a better way would be to allow depositing in the bank, but not allowing money-transfers if certain requirements aren't met. I mean, why would a n00b want to give away all his starting cash? So, giving him the bank use and interest but denying transfers makes it a win-win situation.
For example, he must wait a week, have one army and several resources before allowing him to deposit in other accounts.
Whaddya think?

TheMightySquigglies
10-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I think restricting it to having completed building 1 resource (well/field/mine) and at least one army would be suffice. That would get rid of the starting money anyway without the need for all that editing ;)

Mickey
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
So, giving him the bank use and interest but denying transfers makes it a win-win situation.
Agreed.

I think restricting it to having completed building 1 resource (well/field/mine) and at least one army would be suffice. That would get rid of the starting money anyway without the need for all that editing.
Excellent points.

Timmetie
10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
could still profit of the mines though. the "main" account of that fake account i mean.

Lukepuuk
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
And could just transfer his geo's there and keep jewel hunting on a high rate.. But those things would be hard to stop i think.

TheMightySquigglies
10-17-2005, 03:55 PM
hmmm this is very difficult to stop as if you crack down too much you could be preventing legitimate transactions.

How about limiting transactions between players to x number a day/week

I dont see any reason why you need to be able to send money lots of times a day when it should really be for helping out a noob/an ally in trouble.

Timmetie
10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
i say make all transfers outside alliances public.

the players will keep an eye out, this will lighten mickey's load.

Lukepuuk
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm i don't know.
We were all funding one guy who was attacking others...but to do that we constantly needed to transfer money as soon as we had it.

His Lord Uberdude
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
How about limiting transactions between players to x number a day/week

Bingo.

Timmetie
10-17-2005, 04:40 PM
i really think transaction between alliance mates should be free and easy

the 10 minutes is already annoying the hell out of me (getting it out of the bank, and then sending it away, 10 minutes wait).

Mickey
10-17-2005, 04:43 PM
could still profit of the mines though. the "main" account of that fake account i mean.
Yes, but we're quickly getting into more work for the cheater.

Right now, you can create a new account, transfer the funds, done.

With these changes, you'll need to create the account, set-up a home base, buy an army, set-up a well/mine/whatever, then you can transfer your remaining Geos and any future ones.

As was said, it won't stop anything, but it should be somewhat of a deterrant.

Also, I set the forums up so that it does e-mail verification before you can finish registering. Again, this won't stop people from cheating, but it'll make it just a smidge more difficult.

TheMightySquigglies
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Also, I set the forums up so that it does e-mail verification before you can finish registering. Again, this won't stop people from cheating, but it'll make it just a smidge more difficult.

I like that idea cause they'd also have to set up email accounts as you could prevent duplicates.

I dont think this problem would ever go away (at least until you have to pay to play) but at least its making it a lot harder, some would say not even worth the effort.

What we need is a point at where its just easier to collect jewels at a really low exchange rate than create a new account and I think putting all these suggestions together comes close to acheiving that.

You can't just transfer money right away
have to set up a unique mail account for new GEW account
have to set up a home base, resource and army
have to wait until said resource is actually worth some money before transferring.

I'm liking it

Timmetie
10-17-2005, 10:22 PM
the email will help, setting up a new account is a pain.

in the days i could still jewel, getting 60 geo's would be faster by jewelling than by making a false email account.

blitzkrieg
10-17-2005, 11:53 PM
what newbie would transfer money without ever engaging in combat (unless threatened)? Keep them jumping through rings I say.

They need to register, which should be made more painful, they need to have built a mine/well/field, they need to have built an army and launched an attack, then they are qualified for transfers.

Now once all that is done, they can exploit the advantages.....

1 transfer per day is not too much of a burden as you could leave w/m/fs for the day, jewel hunt for as long as you can stand it and tranfer, then do it all again tomorrow...

Surely though, a script can bring up some abnormal patterns of use on an account, - very active (time logged on) and yet 1 army that has never moved. An account daily getting stripped bare (or nearly bare)

Not much to add, but thought I'd help chew the fat :slant:

Blitzkriegmj

socrates
10-18-2005, 02:45 AM
and post from Mickey like ... oh lookie .. I found a cheat... oh feel free to attack all his 1 man army is really cool !!
oh and his other ids are blah blah blah... and so on and so forth...

We got a good list of ideas going... can't really add but regular post like that is going to make any cheaters loooking over their shoulders.

rasqual
10-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Yes, but we're quickly getting into more work for the cheater.
Require a phone call, and the person answering the modem must punch DTMF corresponding to a captcha code concurrently accessible via the web.

Hey! Do this for jewel hunting too! ;-)

Timmetie
10-18-2005, 08:42 AM
right, or they must say some long alfabetic code in military jargon really quickly, while beatboxing, and with alternating voices every letter, over the phone.

see someone script that.

TheMightySquigglies
10-18-2005, 08:49 AM
how about them sending a finger through the post for fingerprint ID or would that just lead to some of the more twisted cheaters hacking fingers off randomers as they are out shopping/at a bar?

Aodhan
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't like the idea of having a requirement of cities and armies in order to use the bank. When you are a new player it can be hard to hold those items (especially cities). I like to build up an income using various resources and the bank before I make any moves.

araT
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Aodhan; You would still be able to use the bank, you just wouldnt be able to send funds anywhere without fullfilling certain criteria (which may or may not be locked to purchaces, owned cities/resources)

T.

TheMightySquigglies
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Aodhan; You would still be able to use the bank, you just wouldnt be able to send funds anywhere without fullfilling certain criteria (which may or may not be locked to purchaces, owned cities/resources)

T.

Exactly! Only the deposits to other players would be locked out not the bank feature entirely.

reklats
10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
A script could be written to do nothing but log in, set a base, buy a well/cotton/diamond, buy an army, whatever... though the diamond, cotton, oil thing would be a beatch since you can hardly ever find a spot for one.

TheMightySquigglies
10-18-2005, 08:55 PM
In theory you could just hack the server and edit the database tables but you'd have to be really good at hacking, really sad to want to and even more sad to not say anything about how you did it to help Mickey.

On a side note I have invited one of my friends to the game who is an EXTREMELY good hacker to see if he can find any holes. He will not be active in the game and will not be helping out me or my alliance but I thought I should let you all know (especially Mickey) in case it seems we are friendly on here when he signs up

Username forthcoming if he gets round to signing up.