PDA

View Full Version : Overlay error -- "Unable to load....."

rhuns
10-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Have downloaded many overlays over a period of time with no problem. Starting the last 2 days or so, when I go back to a folder with multiple files and I click that folder I get an "Unable to load file xxxxxxxxxxxxx". When I work down through the folder/subfolders and find which one is the culprit, if I download again from GEHacks it works fine.

This is happened only to overlays. Individual placemarks I've downloaded continue to work fine. Off the top of my head, the ones which have failed recently have been one on Krakatau, WTC Smoke Plume, Nazca lines,... to name a few.

I haven't (to my knowledge) changed any settings or done anything to GE.

Just curious. And since the file names are rather cryptic, I don't instantly recognize which one is at fault, so have to scroll down through subfolders clicking one at a time until I find the culprit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

araT
10-18-2005, 04:10 AM
This happens because the image is stored within the .kmz file. If you move or delete the original .kmz file, the next time you load google earth the image will not be found.. There are several ways you can stop this from happening;

a; download the kmz, put it in a folder within C:/Program Files/Google Earth (or anywhere else you want to hide it) and open it from there.. google should then associate the location of the .kmz with the overlay and all should be hunky dory :)

b; after downloading the kmz, rename the extension to .zip, then you can open it up in winzip and see the .kml & the image inside, put the image somewhere safe on your computer and open google earth, right click on the overlay, select edit, and where it shows the URL of the image to overlay, point it to the new place for the image (where you just put it) then it'll work :)

note; if there is no image file in the .kmz/.zip or if when using option "b" the URL in the overlay points to a place on the internet (a URL) rather than a file, the image may no longer be available from that site, try copying the URL and pasting it into a web browser and see if it loads there, if it does.. save the image to your hard disk and follow option "b"

Hope this helps! :)

T.

rhuns
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM
T:

Since the file names are usually run together, etc., I was renaming them and leaving off the kmz. while in the Temporary Places directory, then cutting/pasting into directories/subdirectories I created under "My Places".

If I moved it with original name and later renamed it once it was in "My Places" would I still have the same problem, or do I always need to leave it with the original name?

THANKS!!!!

araT
10-19-2005, 04:49 AM
hey rhuns :)

you wouldnt have to leave it with the same name, however, if you are keeping the .kmz's containing the image, rather than just the image; every time you rename it you will need to delete the old version of it in your GE, and double-click the (newly renamed or moved) KMZ file to reload it.. just so it associates the newly named/located file with the overlay so you dont lose the image again :)

T.