PDA

View Full Version : creating GE custum icons

a666
10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
hi,

for testing purposes i need to have custum icons. i am able to open the GE palette ones, clipping them with photoshop but every time i am trying to edit some, i get those blue placeholders that indicate a broken or missing icon.

has someone done this and a workflow ready? it seems as if i am aplying the wrong transparency settings...

thanks

andré

araT
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
When editing a placemark just select "custom icon" from the icon selector and point it to the icon you want.. I recommend .png format with transparent background.

T.

a666
10-18-2005, 08:28 AM
When editing a placemark just select "custom icon" from the icon selector and point it to the icon you want.. I recommend .png format with transparent background.
T.

hi araT,

that's ok, i know that. i want to build the graphic (icon) itself. i am able to do that in photoshop CS (with transparency and shadow, etc.) but this is the only programm where i do get success when using them in GE. tried sever others and most of them fail. as i would generate those icons serverside, i'd like to know that those PNGs hold special.

thx & greetings from europe
andré

araT
10-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I have no idea what photoshop holds special, but I have noticed that too.. maybe you would have more luck getting the info straight from the GE devs over at the Official GE forums (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0)

..Let us know, e'd love to have an answer too!

T.

yellin05
02-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I've been trying to make a custom icon of a disc golf basket, but no matter what I try the background is still a white rectangle. I can't get it transparent. Any thoughts?

Captain Hornblower
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Use a picture software (e.g. The Gimp) and make the white area transparent.

yellin05
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
At my disposal I have PhotoImpression and Microsoft Picture It!

Captain Hornblower
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyway, one of it should be able to convert the white color to transparency