PDA

View Full Version : exporting GE's own vectors?

Octavs
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
One more related post: is there any way to export GE's built-in vectors (not the ones custom made by users) to a kml file, or to other formats? Maybe there's some way to extract from GE's cache file... (just thinking loud)

I'm sure many users would like to have such a feature...

Thanks!

Octavian

araT
10-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't think there is unfortunately, you may want to request this at the official Google Earth forums (http://bbs.keyhole.com). Thats where the developers hang out :)

T.

arbitrary
10-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Google had to pay for the road vector data, and it's probably copyrighted (at least outside of the US)... so I bet they won't let you export that. I guess the country border data is already available for free somewhere on the web, probably the coastlines, too (I didn't search). The railroad data and other stuff... hmm, no idea.

Regarding export, GE isn't that great anyway. It can import formats like gpx, but it can't export them... I had to write my own converter for that some time ago to get routes and waypoints I created in GE to my GPS device (GPSBabel wouldn't do it). I'm really glad GE uses xml format, easy to read and write with almost any scripting or programming language these days :)