PDA

View Full Version : Jewel hunting

Mickey
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Your next city is now given to you within an image, using the same system as our normal captcha verification images. This should help reduce the effectiveness of those that choose to script.

If you find a way to get around the system, or find a place where the next city is still displayed as plain text, please let me know.

Of course, also please inform me if you have any problems using the new system. :)

Thanks,
Mickey

War_Peace
10-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Whoaaaa! Neat! :)

Although, I haven't been collecting them for a WHILE by now... I'm retired... :)

js3486
10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Not sure if this is a good thing....

Mickey
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Not sure if this is a good thing....
Why not?

js3486
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Personally all the codes to prevent cheating are getting cumbersome, It took me days to figure out what some of the characters in the verification code were. Secondly a resourcefull person will crack the current system.

Mickey
10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
It took me days to figure out what some of the characters in the verification code were.
That should be less of an issue here, as I removed one of the fonts that's hard to read, and mis-reading a character or two won't really matter, as long as you can figure out what city it wants.

Secondly a resourcefull person will crack the current system.
Possibly, but we need to fight it. If they crack it, we fight back. Otherwise, the game is bad and frustrating for the legit players.

reklats
10-20-2005, 05:11 PM
booo hisss

but seriously. If you want to eliminate us from scripting the jewels you need to put the jewel code in a sql table and reference the record number. This way not only are you using a clever formula to create the codes but you are storing the code and it's matching "answer" in a table that we can't see and having a record number isn't going to help us at that point because we can't very well poke into the table to get the answer.

As long as there's a formula at all, it'll get cracked. That last doozy took me and another player almost an entire day to crack but we got it. ;)

I'd rather spend 8 hours cracking the algorithm than one minute collecting jewels. I'll always try getting around your system until you move to a turn based system instead of a jewel based system (time invested system).

sunfly
10-20-2005, 05:11 PM
look at my eyes : :dead: time for new glasses ?
thanks to all the cheaters for the new system mickey needs to protect,
next step: cities and codenumbers with email to pick the jewels ????????
What comes next ?

irritated
sunfly

reklats
10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
ooohhh. yes, email the verification code with a link back to the site that we have to click then we arrive at the site and have to answer a trivia question that's spelled out to us with random garbled characters... I like it! :spin:

His Lord Uberdude
10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
ooohhh. yes, email the verification code with a link back to the site that we have to click then we arrive at the site and have to answer a trivia question that's spelled out to us with random garbled characters... I like it! :spin:
Would you rather be pounded into the ground by an auto-scripter?

Mickey
10-20-2005, 05:24 PM
If you want to eliminate us from scripting the jewels you need to put the jewel code in a sql table and reference the record number. This way not only are you using a clever formula to create the codes but you are storing the code and it's matching "answer" in a table that we can't see and having a record number isn't going to help us at that point because we can't very well poke into the table to get the answer.
I plan on doing that. Stay on topic, though. This one is already like that. It passes your userid to the image, where it then looks up and parses the next city info. No way to crack that, although someone may figure out a way to read it with OCR.

I'll always try getting around your system until you move to a turn based system instead of a jewel based system (time invested system).
I'm trying to get away from the jewels entirely. They're meant to be used primarily by new users and users that need to rebuild. Day-to-day income should ideally be coming from your oil wells, diamond mines, cotton fields and city taxes.

Would you rather be pounded into the ground by an auto-scripter?
Exactly my reasoning. :)

Timmetie
10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
wowa nice going mickey!

i hear the collective cries of ****ed scripter souls coming up from hell!

*edit* wow i have no idea what just got censored there *edit*

Timmetie
10-20-2005, 05:59 PM
basterd, burying my post.

so after 1.5 hours you have all recources and 1.5k troops?

thats not that bad mate, that would take a city the 2nd day id say.

*another edit* Where the **** did the huge post before this one go? shy thor? *another edit*

TheMightySquigglies
10-20-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm trying to get away from the jewels entirely. They're meant to be used primarily by new users and users that need to rebuild. Day-to-day income should ideally be coming from your oil wells, diamond mines, cotton fields and city taxes.

The only problem with this new system is it will slow nebies down. They can no longer cut and paste the text into the fly to option and have to type it.

This is fine if you run a server 24/7 like I do but its no good for most Pc users, google will wipe its cache and you are back to square one everyday.

Timmetie
10-20-2005, 06:04 PM
i've never used the search function nor scripts and i do it in less then 10 secs per jewel.

TheMightySquigglies
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
i've never used the search function nor scripts and i do it in less then 10 secs per jewel.

Yes but you, Sir, are a walking globe ;)

Mickey
10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
The only problem with this new system is it will slow nebies down. They can no longer cut and paste the text into the fly to option and have to type it.

This is fine if you run a server 24/7 like I do but its no good for most Pc users, google will wipe its cache and you are back to square one everyday.
Very true. I think the easiest way (scripting aside) is to have the cities KML open and just double-click the one you want to fly to. Set the "fly-to" speed to the max, and you get to the correct city (which you don't always get with the GE search) in under a second. :)

I'll probably add that info to the FAQ to help newbies out a bit...

Timmetie
10-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Squigglies i just send you my "secret"

and there's an option that gets you there instantly , not sure why cause i just pushed all the buttons lacking any technical or general intellegence.

-Vincent-
10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
I have REAL problems with the new method....
The image takes ages and doesnt show the whole name...

For example... the jewel can be found in the city of marrakech, m

The result in Google Earth search is :"Your search returned no results"

where the hell is that?'?????

No please Mickey, dont do this to us!!!!!!

His Lord Uberdude
10-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Squigglies i just send you my "secret"

and there's an option that gets you there instantly , not sure why cause i just pushed all the buttons lacking any technical or general intellegence.
Send it to me too. :confused:

Timmetie
10-20-2005, 06:48 PM
peoples, i have the ultimate low-tech solution.

just place placemarks near all cities, its almost thesame as the city list only you dont "open" anything.

i did this from the beginning as a stupid noob, i had no idea the jewel cities were thesame as the battle cities, so i kept putting up placemarks.

works like a charm, have yet to find a faster script actually.

Thor
10-20-2005, 06:57 PM
basterd, burying my post.

so after 1.5 hours you have all recources and 1.5k troops?

thats not that bad mate, that would take a city the 2nd day id say.

*another edit* Where the **** did the huge post before this one go? shy thor? *another edit*

I deleted it. It was way too long when I posted it. Especially for my first post. The summary: Just like other new players have said - jewel collecting is bad and there needs to be a better way.

swooby
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Nice move Mickey! :)

I would highly suggest that you fix the problem with the width of the image.
It is very hard to read the trailing characters when it goes off screen.
Doing so might make it hard for newbies to figure out where to go.

I think y'all may have me to blame for giving him this suggestion a month or so ago! :)

This move should slow down the scripters, but I think I already have an idea for a decent workaround.
I will have to type in the first few characters of the city name by hand (as long as I have collected from the city at least once), but otherwise the rest of my code is still usable.

I estimate that, once I implement some changes to my code, this would slow down my jewel collecting from 50 / 3 minutes (1 every 3-4 seconds) to 50 / 5 minutes (1 every 6 seconds).

Actually, my new way might end up omiting some of my more time consuming code and result in nearly the same jewels per minute.
However, I *will* need to manually type in the first few characters of my next jewel city...something I haven't had to do before.

It is *not* that your new way is exposing a faster way to do this.
Your new way just made me revisit how I collect jewels and made me think of a few efficiencies that I can make.

Suffice it to say, you have successfully halted my jewel collecting code for the time being. Touche! :)

For the record, if Mickey tells me to stop my scripts I *will*.
I do not consider myself cheating because I do not attempt to hack the OCR.
I only attempt to save time on some of the more monotonous tasks.
I've just worked hard at being efficient, and generated some code along the way.
I still have to manually type in the pass code to get my jewel.
And I always induce at least a 2 second lag between queries so that I do not pound Mickey's servers.
I also will not be sharing my solution with anyone (unless an Admin asks).

Mickey
10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
The image takes ages and doesnt show the whole name...

For example... the jewel can be found in the city of marrakech, m
I just made the image 50% wider (and a bit shorter), so that should help.

The result in Google Earth search is :"Your search returned no results"
Use your cities KML and fly to it that way. 3 or 4 seconds, tops. You only need about the first 4 letters to use that, too.

It is *not* that your new way is exposing a faster way to do this.
Your new way just made me revisit how I collect jewels and made me think of a few efficiencies that I can make.
That makes sense.

For the record, if Mickey tells me to stop my scripts I *will*.
Technically, scripts are no longer allowed. However, please keep working on it because I want to be able to build the site in such a way that scripts are much less useful, as I won't be able to detect them too well when people in the future aren't as forthcoming with their information.

WalterNeff
10-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Technically, scripts are no longer allowed. However, please keep working on it because I want to be able to build the site in such a way that scripts are much less useful, as I won't be able to detect them too well when people in the future aren't as forthcoming with their information.

First of all: as long as one can collect geos with a snap of her/his finger there will be 'scripters'. Therefore let the jewels fade away.

The idea that the value was determined by the 'wealth' was very good, but adjusting it to a time factor would give newbies a good start and all other would have to rely on the other ressources. That would the best tactic against scripting.
Say, after 1 or 2 week(s) the account was created 1 jewel would equal 0 geo, then a nearly real world scenario could begin :)

As for multiple accounts: consider some values in the HTTP-Headers and a login with different accounts will end in a Zapppp!

reklats
10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Jewel hunting sucks. The idea sucks. Basically you've taken "turns" and called them "geos" and you can earn "turns" by collecting jewels. We scripted a way around manually collecting jewels so we could get more "turns". It's all the same. Just do a find/replace for GEO and call it TURN and then eliminate jewels and give us 50 turns each 24 hours. Done deal. TONS less coding, TONS less server load, TONS less hacking attempts and TONS MORE PLAYERS.

Mickey
10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Jewel hunting sucks. The idea sucks. Basically you've taken "turns" and called them "geos" and you can earn "turns" by collecting jewels. We scripted a way around manually collecting jewels so we could get more "turns". It's all the same. Just do a find/replace for GEO and call it TURN and then eliminate jewels and give us 50 turns each 24 hours. Done deal. TONS less coding, TONS less server load, TONS less hacking attempts and TONS MORE PLAYERS.
Agreed, except for one point. As long as you can transfer funds to other players, what's to stop people from creating extra accounts, collecting the money from their turns and sending it over to their "main" account?

reklats
10-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Don't allow people to transfer "turns". Most games don't let you send turns to someone else. Yes, there will still be GEOS that are money but I think instead of jewels you need to seriously consider just going to turn based with X turns per day.

Coolman315987
10-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Don't allow people to transfer "turns". Most games don't let you send turns to someone else. Yes, there will still be GEOS that are money but I think instead of jewels you need to seriously consider just going to turn based with X turns per day.
Nooooooooo!!! That would be so boring!

Brendo
10-21-2005, 02:39 AM
Where are 'The Pyramids of Giza':

View the attachment for another problem (the first two pics have been trunicated to make the file small enough).

*edit:Kinda fixed now, but I still don't know where it is (and Mt Rushmore), does this mean I have to now download files from GEH just to find jewels?*

brodie2219
10-21-2005, 02:44 AM
ya...no turns....then real time stratagy goes out the window....=[

socrates
10-21-2005, 02:46 AM
look for Al-Jizah just south of Cairo...

so where is Mount Rushmore ! ?

Brendo
10-21-2005, 02:49 AM
look for Al-Jizah just south of Cairo...

Umm, its not there???

Mickey
10-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Thread closed. This was the "old" jewel hunting changes. New thread coming momentarily.