PDA

View Full Version : New file Section (suggestions !please read!)

hypeserver
07-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I thought it would be cool to have these new file sections in the file area I tryed posting in the forums about this, but noone would respond so I thought I'd pm you with the info. Here's the titles in the file area I thought of.......
1.Trains
2.Restuarants
3.Hometowns (So people could post stuff in there hometown in a regular file area instead of the forums)
4.Headquarters (thought this should have its own place since there is so many of them posted)
Hope you like and consider these ideas for the site. Thanks,Hypeserver aka GizMo

fishbne2
07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
1.Trains
Sounds good.

2.Restuarants
Too many!

3.Hometowns (So people could post stuff in there hometown in a regular file area instead of the forums)
Again too many, maybe we could create a sub forum just for hometown threads

4.Headquarters (thought this should have its own place since there is so many of them posted)
Personally, isn't there better sites to find

Hope you like and consider these ideas for the site. Thanks,Hypeserver aka GizMo
As always, thanks for your input!

Stadsman
07-23-2005, 12:47 AM
I thought it would be cool to have these new file sections in the file area I tryed posting in the forums about this, but noone would respond so I thought I'd pm you with the info. Here's the titles in the file area I thought of.......
1.Trains
2.Restuarants

Ad 3. Maybe allowing a link to the hometown in the profile would suffice (if php/vBulletin would allow this). I don't see the need for a separate section

And in general I believe that the moderators do a great job in creating new file sections on a as needed basis; if sufficient files fitting a certain category are posted a new section will be created.

hypeserver
07-23-2005, 01:01 AM
I just had mickey tell me to post my ideas here to see what people thought but he seemed to like the ideas.

Stadsman
07-23-2005, 01:08 AM
I just put my lon/lat coordinates as my location in my profile; works great as a replacement for 'hometowns'. All one has to do then is copy the coordinates into the GE search box and... voila.

hypeserver
07-23-2005, 01:14 AM
I meant having a hometowns section to see people who upload placemarks of where restuarants,book stores,stores,gas stations are in your town or city.

Stadsman
07-23-2005, 01:23 AM
I meant having a hometowns section to see people who upload placemarks of where restuarants,book stores,stores,gas stations are in your town or city.

Sorry, I misunderstood. My guess is that future releases of GE will do just that by itself; just check the restaurants and hotels in NYC already present in GE... In the meantime it might be nice for some here on this site (but not for me ;-)).

hypeserver
07-23-2005, 01:33 AM
hey I'm experiancing some technical difficulties with my computer right now so I may not post for a while.

hypeserver
07-23-2005, 01:38 AM
never mind fixed the problem.

felipeboralli
07-23-2005, 03:44 AM
i liked the HQ section and trains sections, however, the other two i think won´t be useful.

I suggest one about city tours, with sugestions of good places to go if you happen to visit that city, or place.

Stadsman
07-23-2005, 08:29 PM
I suggest one about city tours, with sugestions of good places to go if you happen to visit that city, or place.
Excellent suggestion

Ralf Arnemann
07-23-2005, 09:16 PM
That's an excellent idea.
Just to start I sent a list of sites of my own town (Darmstadt, Germany), which I had to propose for "monuments", lacking an appropriate category.

It would be natural to introduce a category "touristic" or something like that, sorted by countries, states etc. - within some monthes we will certainly have hundreds of cities or regions filled in by contributors.

Steeefan
07-23-2005, 09:17 PM
i absolutely agree on this one

felipeboralli
07-25-2005, 02:59 AM
i liked the HQ section and trains sections, however, the other two i think won´t be useful.

I did one about Brasilia, the Brazilian capital, that went to Other Stuff, and upgraded one about Rio de Janeiro, in Vacation Locations.
Doing big packs of placemarks in a single city in a very good oportunity for GE.

my two cents...

Mickey
07-28-2005, 02:59 AM
That's an excellent idea.
Just to start I sent a list of sites of my own town (Darmstadt, Germany), which I had to propose for "monuments", lacking an appropriate category.

It would be natural to introduce a category "touristic" or something like that, sorted by countries, states etc. - within some monthes we will certainly have hundreds of cities or regions filled in by contributors.

As you may have noticed on the Add File page (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/addfile.php), we're now requesting state (US only) and country information for each file. I'm also going through all of our old submissions and putting that info in there. Once I get that caught up, I'll release the scripts.

They'll essentially be a cross-reference to our existing categories. You could view everything in "New York", or you could view "Religious Buildings" in "New York". It'll be pretty cool.

Once I get that going, I'll remove any country-specific categories we have now (like some of the "non-US" stuff) and then see what we've got.

3lumi
07-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I think sections like Memorials, Baracks or military facilities, Monuments, Cathedrals, Castles, Factories and Bridges were some needfull assigns.

hypeserver
08-04-2005, 02:27 AM
can't beleive this thread is still running lol

Steeefan
08-04-2005, 05:10 AM
it was not until you posted again...:rolleyes: