PDA

View Full Version : Next reset: mid-Novemberish

Mickey
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Just to give you all as much warning as possible, I'm looking at doing the next complete system reset around the middle of November. I'm thinking maybe two weeks, if I can get enough done by then. That's a wild guess, though.

It could be as little as 5 days from now, or as much as a month. I'll keep you posted.

War_Peace
10-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Hurray! First reaction is from me!... :spin: :lol:

So... What can we expect for major differences?...

maxxxheimer
10-29-2005, 09:54 PM
yeah, what can we expect, what's completely new...

i'm very excited :menacing: :spin: :lol:

Mickey
10-29-2005, 09:56 PM
What can we expect for major differences?...
The changes take place daily. The reset is to clear all of the garbage from various security holes that appeared since the prior reset. We're getting some of that kind of stuff building up, but I still have more that I want to fix before we reset it again.

Volli82
10-30-2005, 12:02 AM
lol, why not include an automaticely all 2 weeks reset...
thats not the thought of a continuous online game

bueth
10-30-2005, 01:43 AM
I think it's fine to have another reset after a couple of bugfixes. And I think there where a lot. IMHO, these resets can make this game only better and improve the quality.

araT
10-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Yay! I'm looking forward to Armageddon Take 2!! I'll be watching! Now, where has Rasqual gotten to? :lol:

T.

Radeon
10-30-2005, 02:27 AM
You know...If u reset it in november, allmost all of my mines, and wells will be a waste.. Than i could have spent the 500 geos that i spent on them for troops becuse i wont get my full amount back. I hope this will be the last reset that we will see in a long time! U work so hard for all of this and take so much time and than it gets reset and it all happens again.. I dont want to complain but its hard not too.......

Radeon
10-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Also i hope that when u reset the game it will be on a friday again so most of us have a chance at getting a good head start...

Timmetie
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
2 weeks to take over the world! and i lost 2 days through ym crappy internet connection!

Radeon
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Its your turn to take over the world Timmitie... I had last reset and now u get this reset.

Timmetie
10-30-2005, 02:56 PM
aah but the thing is, i believe you got all your money from rasqual :),

ill be doing this the old fashioned way, by cheating myself :)

people who let others cheat for them are just criminals!

Lukepuuk
10-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Radeon, cheating isn't winning.
This reset ends the same as the other reset did before Rasqual robbed the bank ;)

Radeon
10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Ahhh me and rasqual both did the same thing to get world domination.. He found the loophole, told me, and we conquered the world!

Coolman315987
10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Mickey, you gotta give everyone TONS of geos and armies so we can have another frantic struggle to dominate the world!

His Lord Uberdude
10-30-2005, 07:41 PM
As often as the resets are coming...this game is getting a little difficult. No more for awhile after this, ok? :slant:

Radeon
10-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I also agree with u lord.. This reset will be ok but wait about a year for the next...

rusty741
10-31-2005, 03:04 AM
In a reset do we start over with our 50 Geos at the start of the game like it was completely brand new or do we get supplemented our previous Geo and Troop count?

I guess I'm game for a reset so I can start on an even playing field. It is a pain in the butt trying to build up money to purchase a decent army worthy of fighting.

But, it seems point less to play right now if I know it is all just going to go to waste.

Thanks,
Rusty Riley

araT
10-31-2005, 03:11 AM
You get a starter pack (50 geos or something) and thats it.. we reset all accounts, you dont get any of your jewels, mines, wells, fields, nukes, shields, armies.. :) Its a start-from-scratch, so use em all up while you can :D

T.

cowtreky
10-31-2005, 03:55 AM
You know...If u reset it in november, allmost all of my mines, and wells will be a waste.. Than i could have spent the 500 geos that i spent on them for troops becuse i wont get my full amount back. I hope this will be the last reset that we will see in a long time! U work so hard for all of this and take so much time and than it gets reset and it all happens again.. I dont want to complain but its hard not too.......

The whole point right now is we are still in beta, and resets immenent. I for one welcome the reset and can't wait for the continuous version where all have a chance to be the dominent power.:lol:

felipeboralli
10-31-2005, 04:48 AM
geez, such a nuisance...

rasqual
10-31-2005, 05:34 AM
I think every reset should be in some way "fun." A frantic 72 hours (not much less or more). It'd be a shame for a world with its own stabilities and hard-earned situations to just fizzle into the annals of irrelevance like a dud bottle rocket. Fun has to be had somewhere.

Here's my suggestion for this time around. Mickey gives everyone 123,456 geos, but he gives 1,234,567 to a willing traitor in the largest alliance. Someone who's willing to sell out his mates in creative, dastardly ways -- to the enemy! -- for that much (or that little).

Something. Anything. Just not a whimpering death like a flat tire.

How about opening an "Apocalypse resource," wherein all of Greenland becomes a treasure hunt for doomsday weapons or immense caches of wealth sufficient to buy vast armies? That would make it possible for anyone obsessive enough to search the continent non-stop (or anyone lucky enough to strike the spot(s) early on) to be "the man" for once.

araT
10-31-2005, 05:38 AM
Brilliant ideas as usual rasqual!! :D :givebeer: I cant wait to see it go down - apocalypse style! - Big Tara is watching :menacing: :lol:

T.

Timmetie
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
could we just multiply ones armies, money and city worth or something? so all the troubles players put themselves in gives em some advantage?

with 123.456 geo's to all, my advantage would be about 10%.. yee, i want to destroy the world!

klattenhoff
10-31-2005, 01:06 PM
I don't like the resets and will not rejoin the game after the next one. It's only a waste of time... :-(

araT
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
klattenhoff; its still in beta.. if you dont like all the resets wait untill we finally launch it for good..

T.

His Lord Uberdude
10-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Here's my suggestion for this time around. Mickey gives everyone 123,456 geos, but he gives 1,234,567 to a willing traitor in the largest alliance. Someone who's willing to sell out his mates in creative, dastardly ways -- to the enemy! -- for that much (or that little).

*glances around at alliance*
*loads handgun*
*aims at traitor....*

In other words, notta chance.

sunfly
10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
@ klattenhoff: Every game is waste of time ! thats the trick, but a good game brings more fun. resets makes a beta-game to a good game. dolorous but true ;)

Mickey
10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I hate the resets as much as everyone else - trust me. I'm hoping this is our last one. I just want to make sure that the game is fair to everyone.

Volli82
10-31-2005, 08:56 PM
I hate the resets as much as everyone else - trust me. I'm hoping this is our last one. I just want to make sure that the game is fair to everyone.

isnt it possible to make a back up every few days? when there is a bigger problem you can install the back up

TheMightySquigglies
10-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Can we please make sure the reset is at a very random time as last time it seemed to greatly benefit the U.S. users. :)

Radeon
11-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Yes try and make it fair for everyone.. Like reset it on a weekend where most everyone has a chance at getting a good start...

araT
11-01-2005, 05:37 AM
HAHAHAHA I'll be willing to set it off at Midday EADT (East Australia Daylight Time) Which is +10GMT, but 16 hours ahead of East USA because of daylight savings. Hows that?

T.

Brendo
11-01-2005, 07:19 AM
HAHAHAHA I'll be willing to set it off at Midday EADT (East Australia Daylight Time) Which is +10GMT, but 16 hours ahead of East USA because of daylight savings. Hows that?

T.

Sounds good:kiss:. It would be 11pm here in Brissie. Even better than midnight :lol: .

TheMightySquigglies
11-01-2005, 11:10 AM

T.

Sounds good to me, at least that way its pretty much as fair as its going to get.

Timmetie
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
yes i know! i was 6 hours late!

is there someone we could maby accidently paypall some money to to get an early warning?

maxxxheimer
11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
money? :shifty:
me, me, me! :lol:

rusty741
11-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi 2 questions,

Will my current base be in the same location that it is now, or do I have to re do my base as well?

Second, My thought is, let us know the exact time, so we can all be prepared to go take over the world. i'm cool with what ever time, as long as I know ahead.

Thanks,
Rusty Riley

araT
11-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Rusty; You get to set a new homebase and everything, when we do a reset it is like you are brand new to the game - all of you..

As for the exact time, for now all we know is that it will happen when Mickey fixes some bugs and works on a few new features.. when he is getting closer to doing that he will give us a couple of days warning.. and then, when he is 100% sure he'll probably give you all a days warning :)

T.

speedfreak227
11-02-2005, 05:17 AM
awesome. a few days of TOTAL WAR!!!!!! heheheheh

i want to try come combat out but without risk of losing everything.

speedfreak227

KableKiB
11-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I have an idea. How about you give everyone like a million geos a few days before the reset then we can do crazy sh*t with HUGE armys then u can reset and everything will be normal again.

-Kable

Lukepuuk
11-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Hmmm I'd just transfer those millions to another game, wait for the reset, and transfer it back slowly so Mickey won't notice.

I also think Mickey's server would go nuts if all players go at it at once with millions of geos ;)

Radeon
11-07-2005, 11:24 PM
lol.. i would to luke but how could that be done.... ;)

casp3r
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Bit new to this. When was the last reset and what do you loose following a reset?

araT
11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Casper; the last reset was 15th October, a reset literally means just that.. we reset everything, you have to set your home base again and you get the start up pack of 50 geos & 25 jewels (or more/less if Mickey decides to change it), and thats it. Its like you are totally new to the game again

There is a chance that we may give you all a pile of Geos 3 days before the reset, so you can cause armageddon before you lose it all :)

T.

maxxxheimer
11-08-2005, 01:41 PM
wow, that's cool!!!
looking forward to it :spin: :dead: :menacing: :lol:

WILDCAT1976
11-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Are we any closer to knowing when the reset will be? I'm pathetic...trying to adjust my vacation schedule around the reset....I know...don't laugh

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if a decision could be made on how it's going to happen...If a ton of goes are going to be distributed 3 days prior then we would all like to know so we play/plan accordingly until then. I don't care either way would just like to know.

palau
11-12-2005, 12:26 AM
admins,

will we pleaseee know this time how long is the game going to last?

it is almost impossible to choose a strategy with such a variable into play :confused:

and please don't change basic rules or conversion rates "too much" during the game, for the same reason.

palau
11-12-2005, 12:39 AM
one question for the next game: how far are we against cheating?

a) jewel collecting scripts
b) multiple accounts
c) more?

it would be a pity if normal players (most of us) have no chance against those who cheat...

i think it is fine that you encourage players reseach on cheating. If they point you to a new exploit or uncover a cheater they even deserve a reward. BUT whoever exploits them should be banned, plus all the suspicious money transfers from that player cancelled. Please be strict on this...

WILDCAT1976
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
one question for the next game: how far are we against cheating?

a) jewel collecting scripts
b) multiple accounts
c) more?

it would be a pity if normal players (most of us) have no chance against those who cheat...

i think it is fine that you encourage players reseach on cheating. If they point you to a new exploit or uncover a cheater they even deserve a reward. BUT whoever exploits them should be banned, plus all the suspicious money transfers from that player cancelled. Please be strict on this...

I agree with this....the scripting is the main thing...there's got to be a way to eliminate it...i'm no computer pro but I know there's people here that know how to stop it.

fischi86
11-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Is it possible to give us an estimation how long it can last until the reset comes? a few days, one week, two weeks?

blitzkrieg
11-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, it's the middle of November.........

We all have no idea what features are being added or tweaked, surely it would be worth adding them before the reset to iron out bugs.... If after, the guys who prefer to "exploit" bugs rather than report them will force yet another reset.......

Mickey............ Lacking continuity.

Blitzkrieg

Brendo
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, it's the middle of November.........

We all have no idea what features are being added or tweaked, surely it would be worth adding them before the reset to iron out bugs....

But don't tell us what they are. Just let us find out ourselves.

Beatjunkie
11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Today's the 15th of november, exactly middlelish :lol:

so whatz poppin?
Any ideas 'bout when the reset exactly will come?

;) Peace

speedfreak227
11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
i'm betting "post mid-november".

sure hope it doesn't happen today or i'll look like a fool eh!

speedfreak227

Mickey
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
It's gonna bit a little further out. I've been tied up with other projects (like the main GEH site) and haven't gotten as much done with the game as I need to. I'd say it'll probably be a couple more weeks, but I don't know for sure yet...

Timmetie
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Arg, oke, everyone, get out of my cities!

sinner
11-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Lets make this real fun then before the reset.... Give everyone 1 nuke to use on the city of their choice. Molten landscape really turns me on. :spin: :cowboy:

Aodhan
11-17-2005, 03:52 AM
Argh, and I'm just getting to the point where my bank can provide 225 geos a day. :(

anthonywitt
11-18-2005, 06:27 AM
We need to remember that the game is in beta and this next reset needs to be done or Mickey would not be doing it as of yet.

Hang in there...Mickey will get it where he wants it.

anthonywitt
11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
You kidding Blooper....a few players almost gave the server a heartattack the last time.

bofh666
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
owing to whoknows832 - now it is time for a RESET

roswelljam
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
owing to whoknows832 - now it is time for a RESET

The security issue caused by whoknows needs to be plugged before the reset otherwise what's the point? He will just use the loophole after the reset and then it will need another reset.

WaywardTraveller
11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
The security issue caused by whoknows needs to be plugged before the reset otherwise what's the point? He will just use the loophole after the reset and then it will need another reset.

Apparently the hole is now closed.
No damage control appears to have been undertaken at this point.

bofh666
11-29-2005, 04:09 PM

that I also imagined then - however one must make something :slant:
the play makes so no more fun :crysmilie

WILDCAT1976
11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Not sure if anything like this would work but...here goes

Since whoknows killed everyone and a ton of people are like...."screw this I'm just waiting on the reset"....what if we did some form of a mini-reset until the real reset came. I know very little about computers (just like playing on them) and don't know if that's even possible....take away everyone's geos, troops, cities, resources...EVERYTHING...then not allow alliances...

Once that's done do some type of contest for prizes (geos, troops, whatever)....The contest could done a ton of different ways...

-most value of cities held gets 375 geos after reset
-most # of cities held gets 200 geos after reset
-most jewels found gets 100 geos after reset

I don't know..something like that...I think it would make the time until the reset very exciting...I know I would like to have a little "edge" after the reset

plus..this might bring some cheaters to the surface and it would give more time to fix before the real reset

probably not possible but I think it would be cool if you could.

punchthemonkey94
11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Not sure if anything like this would work but...here goes

Since whoknows killed everyone and a ton of people are like...."screw this I'm just waiting on the reset"....what if we did some form of a mini-reset until the real reset came. I know very little about computers (just like playing on them) and don't know if that's even possible....take away everyone's geos, troops, cities, resources...EVERYTHING...then not allow alliances...

Once that's done do some type of contest for prizes (geos, troops, whatever)....The contest could done a ton of different ways...

-most value of cities held gets 375 geos after reset
-most # of cities held gets 200 geos after reset
-most jewels found gets 100 geos after reset

I don't know..something like that...I think it would make the time until the reset very exciting...I know I would like to have a little "edge" after the reset

plus..this might bring some cheaters to the surface and it would give more time to fix before the real reset

probably not possible but I think it would be cool if you could.

I personally dont like this idea because part of the reason for a reset is to give everyone an equal chance. It's definitley possible, but i dunno...

WILDCAT1976
11-29-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah...I wouldn't want to see any major prizes...I would just like to give the minutes???days????weeks??? until the reset a bit more meaning and excitement...

Maybe...the winner(s) get to pick the time of day the reset happens....no financial advantage but still a nice prize (of course they would share with their alliance members.......

ohhhhh i don't know....just like to see something :confused:

Radeon
11-29-2005, 11:50 PM
no, the whole part of the reset is to make it fair for everybody again.. Especially the newbs! The only thing that i liked about whoknows finding the loophole and stuff is that mickey fixed it or someone fixed it and they cant do it again after the reset..

Lukepuuk
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Now that it is fixed i'd love to know what the hole was?
From curiosity, but also to try such things ourselves :)

Radeon
12-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Explaining how this works isnt a bad idea... It gives other people the chance to tinker around and find a loophole that needs to be fixed... It just increases the chance of finding mistakes and correcting them before the reset.

araT
12-06-2005, 04:49 AM
The hole was concerning PHPmyadmin and being able to change almost anything regarding GEWar, PHPmyadmin has since been moved, and is behind stronger password protection.

T.

SqueaL
12-06-2005, 06:44 AM
IF the hole was in phpmyadmin, it would have been nice is the person finding the exploit would have simple contacted the mods and told them that he can get in, instead of helping himself to geos and making everyone who have put a lot of hard work in have to start over :mad: :shock:

araT
12-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Thats exactly what happened SqueaL, and thats why those users are now banned :)

T.