PDA

View Full Version : Berlin, Germany - close to Denmark?

sundance.kid
07-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi,

enter "Berlin, Germany" in the "Fly to"-Window and have look, where you will go.

Even those people who don't know much about the geography of Germany, will note easily, that this rural place between North Sea and Baltic Sea can't be the German capital!

What could be the reason of this strange mistake? (I already checked if there is a small village with coincidently has the same name - no, there isn't)

Steeefan
07-23-2005, 11:14 PM
It's the same when you enter 'Koblenz, Germany' or 'Freiburg, Germany'. Both results in flying to wrong places far away from the locations one were searching for. Dunno what's causing these mistakes.

sundance.kid
07-23-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah, you're right. And "Oberhausen, Germany" the same thing.
Anybody found similar mistakes in other word regions?

hypeserver
07-23-2005, 11:28 PM
there are many cases of google earth flying to wrong places so this isn't that much of news anymore.

Appletom
07-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi,
enter "Berlin, Germany" in the "Fly to"-Window and have look, where you will go.

If you type "Berlin", GEarth takes you to the middle of Berlin. If you type "Berlin, Germany" (with a comma) you land 258 KM off course.

But if you type "Berlin Germany" (no comma) you end up in the correct spot.

drbashir117
07-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi!

This is no mistake of Google - there actually is a region or city called "Berlin" in the northern part of Germany - look at Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_%28Begriffskl%C3%A4rung%29)!

OK, if you search for Berlin, you would expect GoogleEarth to fly to the other one... :)

CU, drbashir117

sundance.kid
07-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Hey, you're right. Now I know Wikipedia is more intelligent than my old "Diercke Weltatlas" :-)