PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's attempt at GE

fishbne2
07-25-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/msn_virtual_ear_2.html

felipeboralli
07-25-2005, 02:10 AM
when Microsoft attempts to do something, at least they do it very well, trying to compete with the others. This Virtual Earth seems that will be similar to Google earth. Little diferences between them that will decide which one will be mostly used.
more, while Google donīt even say in their about some of their products, (Orkut, Gmail, GoogleEarth) in their main pages, MS will use itīs entire power of auto-advertisment (Hotmail, MSN, their homesite, Windows Update) to release it.

hypeserver
07-25-2005, 02:15 AM
sorry, but this was already posted a few days ago.

felipeboralli
07-25-2005, 03:27 AM
sorry, but this was already posted a few days ago.

my posting or his was posted some days ago...

fishbne2
07-25-2005, 04:11 AM
when Microsoft attempts to do something, at least they do it very well, trying to compete with the others. This Virtual Earth seems that will be similar to Google earth. Little diferences between them that will decide which one will be mostly used.
more, while Google donīt even say in their about some of their products, (Orkut, Gmail, GoogleEarth) in their main pages, MS will use itīs entire power of auto-advertisment (Hotmail, MSN, their homesite, Windows Update) to release it.

I'm sorry but you have to be out of your mind. Windows is constantly broken and fixes take months. IE is a security nightmare which is only now being overhauled because of Firefox. And MS will probably charge users just to look at the images that are free with GE. Finally, when is MS going to have an original thought.

As far as advertising, word of mouth seems to be much more effective today on the internet, especially with the on set of blogs, than any advertising and it free. Consider that I learned about GE and the MS venture both through blogs.

EDIT: And on closer look I noticed that your are from Brasil, who is on the cutting edge of universal Linux use, something that you should be proud of and also the US should take notice of.

fishbne2
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
link for the article (http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,121944,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp)

splatcat
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I've just been messing around with Virtual earth and I'm gonna stick with GE. I like the animation of GE and the fact that it is on my desktop. I doubt there will be much competition here. It's like comparing a hyundai to Jag.

Steeefan
07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I actually thought that MSVE would also be a program you had to d/l and install but since it's only web based and i actually like GE better, I'll also stick with it.

grav8e
07-25-2005, 04:44 PM
One advantage...

This one at least can find my address. Neither Google Maps nor Google Earth can locate my home address.

You hear THAT Google?!?!?!?! You've got work to do!!!!

Steeefan
07-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Let's compare how both GE and MSNVE show the Apple HQ to us...
MSN Virtual Earth (http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?ss=apple&cp=37.333411%7c-122.029708&style=h&lvl=17&v=1&newguid=8cc113f7efc1488b85100eb4e0a7e53f)
Google Earth (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.332307,-122.030103&spn=0.005924,0.010131&t=k&hl=en)

Appletom
07-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Let's compare how both GE and MSNVE show the Apple HQ to us...
MSN Virtual Earth (http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?ss=apple&cp=37.333411%7c-122.029708&style=h&lvl=17&v=1&newguid=8cc113f7efc1488b85100eb4e0a7e53f)
Google Earth (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.332307,-122.030103&spn=0.005924,0.010131&t=k&hl=en)

I think we have a very clear winner here.

felipeboralli
07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry but you have to be out of your mind. Windows is constantly broken and fixes take months. IE is a security nightmare which is only now being overhauled because of Firefox. And MS will probably charge users just to look at the images that are free with GE. Finally, when is MS going to have an original thought.

As far as advertising, word of mouth seems to be much more effective today on the internet, especially with the on set of blogs, than any advertising and it free. Consider that I learned about GE and the MS venture both through blogs.

EDIT: And on closer look I noticed that your are from Brasil, who is on the cutting edge of universal Linux use, something that you should be proud of and also the US should take notice of.

I actually thought that MSVE would also be a program you had to d/l and install but since it's only web based and i actually like GE better, I'll also stick with it.

Iīm not for MS, neither against Linux, as you may think (most of the servers I run/manage/administrate are either Debian or OpenBSD).
Like Steeefan, i also thought that it would be a program, instead of being a webs based, which is user un-friendly, and also, I'll stick with GE and GEH.

What i said if MS attemps to do something, usually it is a good approach, like the Project Codenamed Acryllic, an opposite for Photoshop; because they wonīt use the Microsoft logo in a very bad product.

I donīt want to start a flame war in this post about personal opinions on MS, it was just my opinion about the quality of MSVE.

felipeboralli
07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
To compare GE with MSVE isnīt fair play. Itīs obvious that GE wins, by a large distance. However, if you compare Google Maps with MSVE, the difference is tiny, and the winner does it by a nose, whoever the winner is. They are very similar

Steeefan
07-25-2005, 09:01 PM
To compare GE with MSVE isnīt fair play. Itīs obvious that GE wins, by a large distance. However, if you compare Google Maps with MSVE, the difference is tiny, and the winner does it by a nose, whoever the winner is. They are very similar
Sure, I agree on this one. A mistake I made some posts above, there should be 'Google Maps' instead of 'Google Earth' but I think everyone knows what I meant there.

What i said if MS attemps to do something, usually it is a good approach, like the Project Codenamed Acryllic, an opposite for Photoshop; because they wonīt use the Microsoft logo in a very bad product.
I also agree to this point here. MS is certainly not making bad products. Sure, Windows and IExplore both have loads of flaws but never-the-less I still think that they are both great products. Honestly, where were we w/o MS?
I'm also not against Linux or Apple, absolutely not.

fishbne2
07-26-2005, 01:15 AM
we could debate the merits/flaws of MS till the cows come home, however, I think we can all agree that as of now GE is much better option.

TheRealMccoy
07-26-2005, 08:16 AM
An other point has to be taken in account... It's EARLY beta !

Google maps is not ;) (even in the term BETA is on the page...)

Let them work and test... Then we'll see ;)