PDA

View Full Version : Display your own GPS trails in Google Earth

lxo
07-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I wrote a small tool called KMLstumbler which allows you to convert your own GPS trails from text-based Placelab format into a KML visualization. Maybe it turns out to be handy for you as well.

get KMLstumbler (for Windows) from:
http://loppermann.hs-harz.de/kml/KMLstumbler.zip

get sample traces and stumbler software from:
http://www.placelab.org/datasets/

PS: I used a Nokia 6600 phone and a Fortuna Bluetooth GPS to collect the example stumbler-file provided in the archive. Both devices proved to work nicely and are very light-weight.

TheRealMccoy
07-14-2005, 09:55 AM
My GPS output is full NMEA, is it ok with your program ?

I know nothing about Placelab :???:

TheRealMccoy
07-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I checked the sample files and it's not the same format at all :(

lxo
07-14-2005, 12:16 PM
KMLstumbler doesn't connect straight to a GPS. You need to run a stumbler software called "Placelab stumbler". I mentioned the URL for the stumbler software in my original post at the top of this thread. Sorry if that was a little vague. I'll try to circle our the background a bit.

Placelab stumbler understands NMEA and will write each received NMEA-string to a text-file called the stumbler file. I referred to this one as the "GPS trail", because it contains any number of GPS position which have been found by your device one after another. Thus, the GPS trail represents your way when the GPS and the stumbler software were on.

Placelab exists for a variety of plattforms with Java support. I have been able to run it on my Series 60 phone and on a Laptop. There is also a version for PDA's which is a little difficult to get running. All versions require you to connect your GPS to your device (e.g. by Bluetooth or via a serial cable) in order to make any sense.

Hope this helped.

ali kanju
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
i want to write an application so that when i input longitude and latitude and click send then google earth automatically tracks the location.i want to do it in .NET.plz can u guide me how i can do that.waiting for ur reply.

lxo
04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Haven't been in this forum for quite some time so apologies for any delays.

It would be helpful if you provided a bit more detail about your idea. I mean: do you actually want to write this application to
a) steer Google Earth on the same machine (I think you do)
b) accross co-located machines that could form a wireless ad-hoc network or have a cable connection
or
c) accross a distance using some network like GPRS or Wi-Fi

If you want a) I remember that there was a COM interface that you could use to drive the display of Google Earth.

i want to write an application so that when i input longitude and latitude and click send then google earth automatically tracks the location.i want to do it in .NET.plz can u guide me how i can do that.waiting for ur reply.