PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Cities...

sinner
11-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Am trying to locate a couple of cities owned by Volli82 but they don't show up on Google Earth... is this a new type of Area 51 super shield he is using?

jammo
11-23-2005, 10:45 PM
there are a few cities that are like this, including those owned by Lukepuuk and Tukamotton. :confused:

Lukepuuk
11-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Yes, check this thread:

http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18730#post18730

Volli82
11-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Am trying to locate a couple of cities owned by Volli82 but they don't show up on Google Earth... is this a new type of Area 51 super shield he is using?

seems like a bug, it was allready reported to mickey.
but it seems like you found a city of mine ;)

jammo
11-23-2005, 11:01 PM
So do we now have to play GACwar (Alpha Centauri) to take those cities?!?

Lukepuuk
11-23-2005, 11:07 PM
So do we now have to play GACwar (Alpha Centauri) to take those cities?!?

Yes, didn't you check www.gacwar.com yet? ;)

They are actually still there....but cloaked...all that has changed is the color and shape of the city as you can choose from your gewar page...but the thing is that there are more options, if you know how to choose em ;)
Not what Mickey wanted, and this is just to show that it's very easy to do so he can fix it before coming out of beta(as more people have discovered and used this before us).

His Lord Uberdude
11-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Heehee. We got a n00b going. :rofl:

jammo
11-24-2005, 03:57 AM
no, i just forgot the ;) after my comment!!

Lukepuuk
11-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Playing around with these functions can be really good for the game I think.
For example: If mickey had made changes to the game that only allows attacks in Google Earth, then it would be hard to attack us as the new trick even took the name of the city away. You can't click on it anymore.

sinner
11-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Okay enough of the childish games. Its hard to plan an attack on a city when you can't even see how many armies there is the city. This is a form of cheating in my opinion. Its also not too encouraging for the new players who thought they would have a chance in the game.

bueth
11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Okay enough of the childish games. Its hard to plan an attack on a city when you can't even see how many armies there is the city. This is a form of cheating in my opinion. Its also not too encouraging for the new players who thought they would have a chance in the game.

imho: as long as its not been fixed - use it. I would love to help fixing such stuff. fixing such a bug would not take more than a couple of minutes. but as long as there is only one programmer on it...

His Lord Uberdude
11-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Um...you know, if you look on the GEWar page, you know, it tells you how many armies are in a city. Unless you rely for GE for all your information, there's nothing we're really hiding.

Lukepuuk
11-26-2005, 07:09 PM
imho: as long as its not been fixed - use it. I would love to help fixing such stuff. fixing such a bug would not take more than a couple of minutes. but as long as there is only one programmer on it...

Yes exactly. These things actually help the game.
You don't want this to happen when you can't attack cities in internet explorer anymore(if that even comes through) or when it comes out of beta... so I'd encourage everyone to try and find holes, as long as you report them to Mickey right away.

Now my guess is that Mickey will have this fixed within days and then the game will only be more stable then before.

bueth
11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
but why there is no way to contribute in this project? mickey could create a cvs version for the interested to help speeding up the development of the game. has no one ever asked this question?

Timmetie
11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
i agree bueth, or maby help monitor bank transfers or something (i know noone trusts anyone else with this but maby other things can be found).

but he'd probably have to give the code, and doing so open it up to hackers.

sinner
11-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh come on now... when you are even hiding your home base... that is beyond cheating. Lets remove these little tricks and level the playing field. No wonder we all these people registered but don't play.

Lukepuuk
11-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Oh come on now... when you are even hiding your home base... that is beyond cheating. Lets remove these little tricks and level the playing field. No wonder we all these people registered but don't play.

It actually isn't cheating. The option is right there in front of you but you don't see it yet. Nobody is hacking the system here.
They are just choosing a color for the city which option can't be seen.
But I do think that as soon as Mickey has seen it(to be sure he knows what we are talking about) we should go back to normal. But only as soon as he's seen what this option does so he can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Timmetie
11-27-2005, 08:56 AM
i do think this kinda proves mickey doesnt read the forums here anymore.

WaywardTraveller
11-27-2005, 03:55 PM
It actually isn't cheating. The option is right there in front of you but you don't see it yet. Nobody is hacking the system here.
They are just choosing a color for the city which option can't be seen.
But I do think that as soon as Mickey has seen it(to be sure he knows what we are talking about) we should go back to normal. But only as soon as he's seen what this option does so he can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Cheating? No. Exploiting? Yes.
I have to agree that this shouldn't continue on. No one has to be actively using an exploit for Mickey to be informed about it and fix it.

Instead of attempting to set Mickey up for failure here by making the info available, but not actually giving it to him and rather making him come and find it, would be to not tell the whole world about it, and PM Mickey directly about the issue, with all info available pertaining to the hack.

Don't set Mickey up like this. I can't imagine that Mickey appreciates it at all.

Lukepuuk
11-27-2005, 05:04 PM
We actually didn't. I pm'ed mickey about it and he actually thought the trick was funny. He was working on it right away.
And this thread was not started by any of us and we didn't tell everyone how to do it. They figured it out right away themselves.
But nobody is setting mickey up here. I think he might be out of town or something and I was waiting for him to let me know he saw the latest one where the placemark dissapears from the globe so he makes sure it doesn't happen again.
I for one will change back right away when he's seen it. This invisibility holds no real advantage and i've been attacked numerous times since that.
But nobody here was like 'let mickey find this thread himself' as the first thing i did was PM him.

ps: as its Beta everyone was encouraged to find holes, as long as you PM them right away. Thats the only way all bugs will be gone before the game comes out of beta.

Lukepuuk
11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I pm'ed mickey the link(that causes this) and what exactly happens, so that should be enough info. Changed my cities back to normal.

WalterNeff
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
but why there is no way to contribute in this project? mickey could create a cvs version for the interested to help speeding up the development of the game. has no one ever asked this question?

If a developing team will be founded, i'd be glad to be in it.

WalterNeff
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
i agree bueth, or maby help monitor bank transfers or something (i know noone trusts anyone else with this but maby other things can be found).

but he'd probably have to give the code, and doing so open it up to hackers.

Sharing the code leads in most cases to a better product, noone can find all her/his mistakes ;)

His Lord Uberdude
11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Oh, alright. I joined Lukepuuk and brought my cities back to visible. :whine:

Timmetie
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Sharing the code leads in most cases to a better product, noone can find all her/his mistakes ;)

darn hippy. ;)

and i agree, but the ones who'll have acces to the code should be trusted by all. At the moment, i know of none (except mods) we all trust. let alone a few.

anthonywitt
12-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Cheating? No. Exploiting? Yes.
I have to agree that this shouldn't continue on. No one has to be actively using an exploit for Mickey to be informed about it and fix it.

Instead of attempting to set Mickey up for failure here by making the info available, but not actually giving it to him and rather making him come and find it, would be to not tell the whole world about it, and PM Mickey directly about the issue, with all info available pertaining to the hack.

Don't set Mickey up like this. I can't imagine that Mickey appreciates it at all.Well it can still be done...must not be high on Mickey's list of things to do.

Lukepuuk
12-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Well it can still be done...must not be high on Mickey's list of things to do.

In fact, in a PM Mickey even stated it was funny, which proves he hasn't lost his sense of humor over this :)
But I did not want to upset any other players so I did change the color of the city back.

anthonywitt
12-04-2005, 01:13 AM
I like to be sight unseen.

I am glad Mickey thinks its funny because there is alot of things going on thats is not funny.