PDA

View Full Version : What could this be in the desert of Africa?

petete
12-16-2005, 09:05 PM
It looks like a lake... Could it be oil?

Highlander739
12-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Possibly oil...... Why else would there be roads goin there..... Two "structures" as well....... It is hard to say, Algeria does have oil but without a hi-res shot uou really can' tell.

But I sure someone will find out what it is!

Dunnojo
12-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Yeah i think it's oil to.. Cause to the north in the "hi-res square" you'll see alot of pipelines, structures and oil..

12-18-2005, 07:27 AM
it is not oil. my dad works in the oil field so i know a little about it. oil is deep within the earth in the rocks, it would not be in a pool/lake like that, oil creates great pressure when it gets to the surface so it most likely wont be laying there like that. correct me if i am wrong, please.

maxxxheimer
12-20-2005, 12:50 PM
i neither think it's oil. 651904 is right, it has to be something else :slant:
but what :confused:

BradG7
12-21-2005, 07:53 PM
651904 is right, just a small fresh water lake :cool:

Highlander739
12-22-2005, 07:56 AM
it is not oil. my dad works in the oil field so i know a little about it. oil is deep within the earth in the rocks, it would not be in a pool/lake like that, oil creates great pressure when it gets to the surface so it most likely wont be laying there like that. correct me if i am wrong, please.

It is possible for oil to be on the surface like a lake. If there is a weak spot in the rock, then the oil can seep to the surface and form pools. One example was in what is now Iraq, where oil seeped up into pools and the vapour ignited, causing a flash fire over a town, destroying it. And I remember at least one place in Canada where they used to use a huge excavator to dig up the oil soaked ground and then dump it into a plant which then separated the oil and processed it. Look at the link to see the place I mean

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5031024

maxxxheimer
12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
i still don't think so, why should oil be at the surface, wouldn't they just pump it through pipelines in tanks?
order a private jet and fly over the area and you see what it is. so easy is it :lol:

clems_37
12-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure that it's oil, it could be like a station of purification for water or maybe something like that because there is a sort of pipe which goes in this lake !!

The picture which is attach is a lake in desert !! And if it was water, Google would have been referred it !!

anorrman
01-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Just had a look in the atlas and I think it might be
Hassi Timelouline which is an oil settlement apparently exploited
by petro Canada.

Found this pdf http://www.petro-can.ca/eng/investor/pdf/ar-97-e.pdf
Search for Hassi .

Does not expalin what the lake looking thing is though.

bwh2005
01-17-2006, 09:12 PM
:lol: :lol: looks like a plain old lake to me lol :lol: