PDA

View Full Version : Is Google Earth the right thing for my website?

EddieG
02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I am still new to Google Earth, so please excuse this rather stupid question:

I own a small website where travellers tell the stories of their journeys. I would like to offer them a way to present their itinerary!

Right now I only have a data base of the countries they visited, so it might be possible to create a world map where all these countries are highlighted? Also it might be nice to have the itinerary painted into the map. Is this possible?

And another question:
Is there a way to offer a city selection box through Google Earth?
Something like
1. "Select a country" ==> Thailand
2. "Select a state" ==> Krabi Province
3. "Select a location" ==> Kho Lanta Island
I myself won't be able to offer this service in high quality - just as I don't know each Hicksville on this planet :-/

Thank you for your help,
Eddie

BradG7
02-15-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm not quite sure about a mod that highlights only certain countries like you described, but I know an improvment to your site would be placemarks of the journeys. I'd recommend asking the members of your site for thier opinion ;)

Appletom
02-15-2006, 02:37 AM
I own a small website where travellers tell the stories of their journeys. I would like to offer them a way to present their itinerary!

Right now I only have a data base of the countries they visited, so it might be possible to create a world map where all these countries are highlighted? Also it might be nice to have the itinerary painted into the map. Is this possible?Absolutely - learn how to use overlays and you will have this down pat.

And another question:
Is there a way to offer a city selection box through Google Earth?
Something like
1. "Select a country" ==> Thailand
2. "Select a state" ==> Krabi Province
3. "Select a location" ==> Kho Lanta IslandTo the best of my [limited] knowledge, this is not possible in GEarth.

Eddie - This sound like a great project for GEarth and it would be a great addition to your website. I look forward to seeing more.

maxxxheimer
02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
i think here it is best if you use a google map on your homepage!
all information at www.maps.google.com.

cheers, maxxx