PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar Airport - funny Detail

webmichl
07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Did you ever heard about a road crossing an airport-runway? With traffic-lights? Well - here is one...

Notice the cars waiting at both sides to cross.

If you don't believe me - look at this fotos: http://www.yumlum.com/117.html

( the cause i searched GE for this place )

Michl

sauerkraut
07-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Did you ever heard about a road crossing an airport-runway? With traffic-lights? Well - here is one...

Notice the cars waiting at both sides to cross.

If you don't believe me - look at this fotos: http://www.yumlum.com/117.html

( the cause i searched GE for this place )

Michl

hmmmm....
the famous TP-webmichl ???
look at the airbus factory in hamburg.
nearly the same (not quite a runway, but...)

friesede
07-30-2005, 01:18 PM
and here is the reason why...

webmichl
07-30-2005, 10:27 PM
hmmmm....
the famous TP-webmichl ???
look at the airbus factory in hamburg.
nearly the same (not quite a runway, but...)

TP is correct, but famous? Your kidding...

@friesede: THX! I searched for the plane but i didn't found it....

Master Chief
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Neat!

Here's a little mystery. If you zoom out, there are four squares in the water between the runway and the jet approaching. What the heck are they?

I'll post a link shortly, but if you zoom out to about 33000 feet, you can see them.

Captain Hornblower
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Probably fish- or shell-farms....

Highlander739
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
They have this one at London Heathrow Airport..... Complete with signs saying "Caution - Aircraft Crossing Ahead" or something similar. On the left is the airport, and on the right is the British Airways maintainence base. Oh, QANTAS get BA to do the maintainence/repairs at Heathrow, that's why you see a Kangaroo Airline 747 to the top right of the crossing.

Highlander739
11-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Neat!

Here's a little mystery. If you zoom out, there are four squares in the water between the runway and the jet approaching. What the heck are they?

I'll post a link shortly, but if you zoom out to about 33000 feet, you can see them.

I would say fish farms, the water would be a bit deep for shellfish.

Monkey boy
11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
The Air Traffic Control at Gibralter control the gates to shut the road which crosses the runway. They shut the pedestrian ones first then a few minutes later shut the traffic ones.
When I was staying at the RAF camp there, we had a funny situation, there were some pedestrians who were taking their time crossing the runway, the gates had been shut & thy were still in the "danger area" The A.T.C. have the use of a tannoy system which they use to give people a "move up" call.
On this occasion it had the opposite effect as the pedestrians , on hearing the tannoy, dropped to their knees & started praying. They were day trippers from Morrocco & had thought the voice was that of God. :whoa: :spin:
A quick visit from the RAF Police soon moved them on & the aircraft was free to land.

Roadsweeper
11-04-2005, 07:17 PM
There's a football pitch right next to Gibralter Airport runway.
There are players on it.

Football requires alot of concentrations. Who won the most goals? :lol: :lol:

brewer
11-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Doesn't it seem a little dangerous to have cars being able to drive across the tarmac? And I'm not speaking of collisions, but rather security...

timme
11-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Similar situation at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, there you've got several bridges that are actually runways. It's very funny when you're driving underneath those bridges when there's and airplane crossing above you.

Highlander739
11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Heathrow has tunnels under each runway, which isn't as freaky as CDG. Mind you, I'm not sure I would be keen on landing at Macau in an emergency... Not exactly much run off space around the runway and you better hope the pilot can steer in a straight line on the taxiways!!

I wonder what the strangest thing we can find on an airport is..... Hmmmmmmmmm

timme
11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
It's too bad we haven't got a clear view of Princess Juliana International Airport. The runway starts right after the beach (Maho Beach) so if you're on the beach airplanes fly like 15 metres above your head.

Also see Google Images (http://images.google.be/images?q=maho+beach+plane&svnum=10&hl=nl&lr=&sa=N&imgsz=)

speedfreak227
11-07-2005, 07:29 AM
It's too bad we haven't got a clear view of Princess Juliana International Airport. The runway starts right after the beach (Maho Beach) so if you're on the beach airplanes fly like 15 metres above your head.

Also see Google Images (http://images.google.be/images?q=maho+beach+plane&svnum=10&hl=nl&lr=&sa=N&imgsz=)

that's INSANE! i can't imagine the noise and wind that you'd have to deal with.
thanks for the pictures though!

speedfreak227

Highlander739
11-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhh............ Nothing like a good bit of jet blast!!

timme
11-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Ah, van Antwerpen zie ik. Leuven hier.

Highlander739
11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry Timme, don't speak a word of Dutch yet...........

timme
11-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Ow okay, so you moved to belgium recently?

Highlander739
11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
september.......... got sick of living in London

timme
11-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, London sucks, so what do you think about Antwerp (and Belgium) ?

araT
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Guys, If you want to have a conversation please take it to PMs, email or instant messaging.. we dont all want to have to read though this crap :p

C'mon, you should know better ;)

T.

Monkey boy
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Found another Aircraft in fllight, this one has just taken off from the New Hong Kong airport.

Highlander739
11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
And an interesting runway in Lybia, with nothing there....... Just 2 hard standings but no buildings at all....... Nearest place is around 4km away, and looks like some sort of oil business place (pools of oil to SE of houses, storage tanks.....)

What gets me is why they would need a 3km runway for a "private" airstrip, and where is everything else for a military one? Let's face it, that runway is in perfect condition so it is in use.......

Highlander739
11-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Can almost see someone saying "My one's bigger than yours!!!!"

Oh, and if you rotate the shot, the smaller one kinda looks like a machine gun of some sort. Maybe Hermann Tilke (Motor racing fans know who I mean) designed the place?

Highlander739
11-08-2005, 12:06 AM
There's good parking......... Then there's the Philippines

'Nuff said