PDA

View Full Version : A bug ?

baffledoldfart
02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
I want to find Hiroshima in Japan. Now as far as I can see, place names in Google Earth for Japan seem to be rendered in Kanji.

If you type 'hiroshima' into the search box, it says it cant find anything. In fact, if you put ANY romanji city name in it cant find it.
(
if you go the babelfish, and type 'Hiroshima' it renders it as

広島 - Kanji for 'hiroshima'

(except readers of this forum wont be able to read that unless they have the asian language pack loaded).

If you cut this out and try and paste it you cant via windows 'paste command' , its greyed out. If you do CTRL+V (the old DOS keyboard shortcut for paste) it completely screws Google Earth. You'll get an hourglass that lasts 10 minutes (during which time it will use 97% of the processor resources according to Task manager. After about ten minutes, it gives up and admits Google Earth has stopped responding. All you can do is close Google Earth and restart it.

So how do you find japanese cities on google earth using the search box in a romanised alphabet set ? And why cant Google Earth accept a paste in Kanji if you have a romanised keyboard set?

Seems a serious deficiency to me..............

memmetch
02-18-2006, 08:51 PM
hmm thats kinda weird ill go try that and see what happens

xml
02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
if you use my program you will find it

baffledoldfart
02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
if you use my program you will find it

Wierd............wonder if ive got some sort of toggle or setting somewhere in options set wrong?

baffledoldfart
02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
well i reinstalled it and a) the japanese names are now in englsih and b) it now finds it. Wonder what went wrong?

stefankarakashev
04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
If you type 'hiroshima' into the search box, it says it cant find anything.
You have to type 'Hiroshima Japan'

Some cities in Japan like Tokyo and Yokohama don't need 'Japan' in the searchbox, but Sapporo, Hiroshima and others need it.