PDA

View Full Version : new laptop with wrong power cable

kareemamir
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
hey people. i just bought a new laptop from ebay. it came from america but they said i will get a uk power adapter but it came with this one. im not sure what it is:

http://www.pk-productions.co.uk/Picture%20002.jpg

does any one know what kind of plu this is and would it work with this:

adapter from argos (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=4501&langId=-1&searchTerms=9827590)

they are sending one out, but its gonna take 10-15 days they said and i cant wait that long.

thanks very much

GEH4EVR
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Yep, Should work, I looked at the plug from argos and your picture and they seem to be compatible.

However, With all the time I spent in America I have never seen a plug like that... :confused:

Beezer
03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
That looks like the standard laptop plug that comes with most American laptops and will fit most American outlets. Looks like it might work with the Argos adapter, but I can't say for sure.

Appletom
03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
That is the standard three prong plug, it fits into all modern outlets in the USA. The round tip is the ground. You will notice one of the two flat tips is wider than the other. Before the ground tip became common, certain devices would not work if the plug was plugged in backwards (something about alternating current) so outlets and plugs started having a wide and a skinny slot/prong to assist in correct insertion. For reasons unknown, this is called a "polarized" plug.

BradG7
03-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Right, simple electricity. The plugs are polarized(one prong is larger than the other and they have a specific current so they are in a sense "polarized") so the plug isn't plugged in wrong, this way the electrons can flow from the positive to the negative, it's that simple. The round part is indeed a ground, so when you plug it in, the electricity doesn't bridge the gap between you and the plug, it acts as the quickest way to the ground, hence the name. Now are we all cleared up on this issue? ;)

Captain Hornblower
03-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Well, electrons flow from negative to positive pole (electrons are negative...), physically.
And I guess in the USA AC is used, so the current is changing its way 50 or 60 times a second (here it is 50 times). Actually it doesn't matter, which way you put in the plug. So I am still wondering about this polarized plug.... :confused:

huwyngr
03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, electrons flow from negative to positive pole (electrons are negative...), physically.
And I guess in the USA AC is used, so the current is changing its way 50 or 60 times a second (here it is 50 times). Actually it doesn't matter, which way you put in the plug. So I am still wondering about this polarized plug.... :confused:

Ground | Live Neutral ?

Safety codes no doubt?

BradG7
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Here is info on the 3 pronged plug. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Type_A_.28Amer ican_2-pin.29) And as for why are they polarized. I said my previous statement wrong, yes electrons go from the negative to the positive. They are indeed called polarized because the wider of the two blades(left side) is neutral, the smaller blade accepts both currents. They make it this way so the appliance isn't fried by the current coming in wrong ;) Hope that answers everything.
And that Argos adapter, I'd give it a 50% chance, the input side looks like the blade slots are angled at the bottom, but it could be my eyesight!