PDA

View Full Version : On politically motivated submission remarks

grav8e
08-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I would like to see a general rule for submitting a link saying to keep political comments out of the description and to save it for the forums where it seems more appropriate. The primary link should be neutral, IMHO. Otherwise it may lead visitors to interpret it as an endorsement by the site.

I'm all for debating an issue (I do it quite often), but I'm not wild about going to download a particular link and getting as my first source an obviously slanted or sarcastic remark. I would post a link to a specific example of this, but I'm not trying to start a political discussion, only a discussion on whether it's appropriate.

Rwootton
08-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree with you, a "virtual globe" like GE is a magnet for geopolitics, but this forum should stay clear of that type of discussion.

Stadsman
08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Wholeheartedly agree.

I think there should be clearer rules for file submissions and clear guidelines what is for posting on the forum and what can be submitted as a file for the download section. This could make it easier on the admins as they don't have to shift through endless amounts of submissions and it would at some level guarantee the quality that GEH has offered so far. It would also make transparent what the rules are for acceptance (e.g. no foul language, no duplicates, etc.). On bbs.keyhole.com there is no moderation/screening of the files and imho that site suffers a great deal from over-posting and poor quality posting; something that can be avoided here, at least for the file submissions. The forum should be open to all kind of submissions.

Just my $0.02

Mickey
08-03-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm in agreement as well. I've added a bit of text to the "AddFile" page which reads:

Pleaes be factual in your description and avoid any politcally motivated comments

Also, I've posted a note in the Moderator forum to let the other file admins know about this.

If any of you have any specific examples that need to be edited, you can contact me via PM and I'll be happy to take care of them.

Thanks,
Mickey