PDA

View Full Version : A 'kmz file' on a commercial website? Is it legal?

umfmt
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
A quick question: Is a 'kmz file' on a commercial website legal? It will just show the location of the company and should allow visitors -provided they have Google Earth on their PC- to 'fly' there. Or do I have to ask Google for permission?

I could not find anything on the Google Earth legal section which discusses the use of the image data only. I also did not get a response from Google Earth support.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

shrinkingman
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem, if anything it will encourage more people to use GE. Besides, it's not really much different to posting one on a forum like this is it?

martin
03-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Mark,

i'm planning the same, and i guess since GE in Freeware and the Map Sources are publicly available, it should be no problem.
Lets see other opinions.

GEH4EVR
03-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Nope as long as you don't sell them, At least that what Google Earth said.

Appletom
03-31-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm not an attorney, but I would think that using an application to create a file, then offering that file for download, is completely legal. If I use Microsoft Word to create a .doc file, there is no problem in hosting that file for others to download. If I use Photoshop to create a .psd file, I can host that file on my website and anybody can download it. Same if I create an action in Photoshop, I can host the .atn file for anyone to download.

And there are currently tons of kmz files on websites all over the world - do a Google search for kmz file (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kmz+file&btnG=Google+Search) , then click past the first ten pages, you will see lots of sites that have kmz files available for download.