PDA

View Full Version : Surface Mine in South Africa?

archre
08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi
I found this one, seems to be a surface mine with an powerplant near to it. But the strange thing is the colour of the substance being mined - lime?

maddognz
08-03-2005, 12:03 AM
the only other place i have seen a colour like that in a mine is at the Ranger Uranium Mine in Australia... It could be a Uranium mine but I personally don't know whether there is Uranium mining in S.A.? Also, the 2 'power plants' nearby could be uranium processing or nuclear power plants, but I have seen someone on these forums saying they are thermal stations so Im not sure...

Tarnaz
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
This is Kriel Power Station - you will see it's twin sister Matla Power Station slightly SW. They are most definately coal fired stations - the white facility to the E is (I think) the ash dump.

Out of interest the only Neuclear power station on the african continent is Koeberg - about 30km north of Cape Town

BradG7
01-11-2006, 02:21 AM
I think it's a geothermal site, the blue and white kinda reminds me of hotsprings in Yellowstone National Park :whoa:

Labonte
01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
couldnt this place be the Premier Diamond Mine, the place where they dug up Great Star of Africa

http://www.original-diamonds.com/images/famous_great_africa.jpg

The Premier Diamond Mine in Cullinan is a fully operational diamond mine producing around 1 million carats of diamonds every year, mainly for industrial use.

:confused: just a guess...

McMaster_de
01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Kriel and Matla are thermal power stations, which been fired with coal. So the surrounding mine, delivers the coal for the both stations.

When Kriel was completed in 1979 it was the largest coal-fired power station in the Southern Hemisphere. It was also one of the first stations to be supplied with coal from a fully mechanised coal mine. The station is 26 years old this year.

Tarnaz
01-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Yes these were the first of the "6 packs" that were built in South Africa. Both of these and the many that came after have 6 x 500MW units comprising boiler, turbine and generator. The newer ones are Duhva (Witbank), Tutuka (Standerton), Matimba (Ellis Ras), Kendal, Lethabo (Vereeniging) and a few others. The newest 6 pack is Majuba near Newcastle.

Most of South Africa's power is generated in the Mpumalanga region and all of these are coal fired with adjacent collieries.