PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious about..

stefankarakashev
05-09-2006, 09:13 PM
A question to the moderators: how do you know that every file submitted is a true representation of the place?

What I mean is, I, for example submitted a file called Boruna quarter - a neighbourhood in my hometown. You have no way of knowing this neighbourhood, it's only known in my hometown (Lom, BG), which is why I share it to the world. But I could have lied about its name, although I didn't. The thing is, you have absolutely no way of knowing whether certain files submitted here are really true - their locations, names or additional info. What's your comment on that?

sladys
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Stefan, if that should happen I support you. I know a lot about Bulgaria since my wife is bulgarian.

BradG7
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
We must trust you ;)
We are very faithful people :lol:

SpiderX22
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Also,
Members tend to check the files and tell us if something is faked. Also, I often research or check the files before approving them. But now that we have your warning, we'll watch you closer. =)

Actually, I've pulled alot of data of wikipedia, and thats not 100% trustworthy either.

christemb
05-09-2006, 09:45 PM
We assume that, you would have lied. Who would ever notice it? The point is that YOU would like to show other something. I download files only, if the name interests me. If there is nothing interesting, i delete the file. (And think the "uploader" must be like this :duh: )
;)

BradG7
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
We don't judge the uploader, or by how interesting the file is, if it's in compliance with our regulations, it's good enough for us ;)

christemb
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah thats right... But for me i have to filter the offer īcause spending too much time with the PC isnīt good for me.
(thats what my girlfriend says... :spin: )
((she isnīt here at the moment... :crysmilie ))

BradG7
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
She's right though, I'm going to have to take a week off here, because I'm starting to develop Carpal Tunnel :sadyep:

MartyBong
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
She's right though, I'm going to have to take a week off here, because I'm starting to develop Carpal Tunnel :sadyep:

Yeah? Ever thought it could be something else? Hey hey! ;)
Just kidding with ya.

BradG7
05-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Not very appropriate :mad:

GEH4EVR
05-09-2006, 10:54 PM
What's Carpal Tunnel?

MartyBong
05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Dude, I'm just joshing.
You're like what? 15? Nothing to worry about brother, it's only natural.

Hey, I just can't help myself.

Peace, M

BradG7
05-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome#Symptoms)
I know you were joking, but read the part about causes Marty ;)

Delta102
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
:x
Also,
Members tend to check the files and tell us if something is faked. Also, I often research or check the files before approving them. But now that we have your warning, we'll watch you closer. =)

Actually, I've pulled alot of data of wikipedia, and thats not 100% trustworthy either.
Whats with your stealing everybodys posts!,You've got to be the realy low to claim all the stuff you've swiped. :x

Chief Sparky
08-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Also,

What you seem to have pulled is many, many good collections, posts and placemarks from the Google Earth Communities. The members are finding out, and I don't believe you'll appreciate what's about to come your way.

Appletom
08-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Why is everybody flaming Spider all the sudden?

shrinkingman
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Probably because of this http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=offtopic&Number=574803&Searchpage=1&Main=574803&Words=SpiderX22&topic=&Search=true#Post574803

I'm not accusing, Spiderx22 isn't the first and won't be the last to post something that's already been spotted before by someone else. Benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty. How are we to know the GEC posters don't do something similar? Me, I assume the best in people. What's the point in a flame war?

Chief Sparky
08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
The problem is that he's taken what were large, very labor intensive works from our members and is passing them off as his own. We understand that there will be some cross pollinization of membership (araT comes to mind) but the total stealing of someone else's work is lame at best. He didn't even make an attempt to reformat - he simply logged onto GEC, downloaded the placemark, and uploaded it as his own. From the part of the world I come from, we call that stealing. And trust me, the rest of our membership is just finding out.

For Spider's (and anyone else who needs a refresher) benefit, I'd like to point his attention to this post in GEC:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/396042/an/page/page/vc/vc/1

Valery35
08-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I see many near to GEC posts. Also exact copy of GEC posts.
Good list of posts.
Maybe need make list of links and delete duplicates of GEC placemarks? Or make credits.
And spiderx22 can correct this?

Chief Sparky
08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Why is everybody flaming Spider all the sudden?

Also, please note - there are no flames. I am, however, actively accusing SpiderX22 of theft - he has taken placemarks that I created, with my data in them, copied them verbatim and then posted them HERE under his name. He at no time obtained my permission to copy my work. He has done this with placemarks & posts from at least 3 dozen other GEC members - without their permission. I'm unsure of his goals in doing this - fame, perhaps? Desire to be the number one poster here on GEC? No matter what the motivation, his methods have resulted in an ever-increasing group of our members being up in arms over this. Personally, I'd prefer that there not be huge fight, but this sort of wholesale scraping of others' works has got to cease. It's one thing to have an account at both places and post your OWN work on both sites - totally another to take info from one to the other without permission.

And Valery... I don't want him to "credit" me. I want the ones I created and were posted here under someone else's name to be removed.

GEH4EVR
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
He at no time obtained my permission to copy my work. He has done this with placemarks & posts from at least 3 dozen other GEC members - without their permission

Well in a way he doesn't need it because you did put it out on the Net so that people can do what they like with it.

I'm unsure of his goals in doing this - fame, perhaps? Desire to be the number one poster here on GEC?

Well if you look at his file list is is full of files that he found himself, he may have just liked the file and wanted to spread it to other people(that's the point of this site, sharing files you like).

No matter what the motivation, his methods have resulted in an ever-increasing group of our members being up in arms over this.

Well actually I only see two members up in arms over this issue.

And Valery... I don't want him to "credit" me. I want the ones I created and were posted here under someone else's name to be removed

Well I think him giving you credit would be a very good idea, and to remove it would be denying people the right to see a good file.

Also I think SpiderX22 should have a chance to defend himself.
Also, what is the file in question?

Appletom
08-30-2006, 01:49 AM
A - Chief Sparky is a very senior member of the official Google Earth bulletin board, The Google Earth Community. Don't let his low number of postings here on GEH fool you, the guy is a big wheel in the GEarth world.

B - The issue is being looked into.

tcoker
08-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Why don't all of you get off of SpiderX22 back. He admitted wrong and has apologized, he is aslo working to fix the problem and if I guess correctly will never do it again.

Chief Sparky may big a big shot at Keyhole, but how are we to know that? He is still a Junior Member here. Even if he was a Senior Member he doesn't have the right to flame anybody.

I'm not trying to flame the chief, just pointing out the obvious.

Again, I think it's time to get off of the Spiders back.

BradG7
08-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Well put ,tcoker, well put. :clap:
I couldn't of put it better myself.

Chief Sparky
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Why don't all of you get off of SpiderX22 back. He admitted wrong and has apologized, he is aslo working to fix the problem and if I guess correctly will never do it again.

Chief Sparky may big a big shot at Keyhole, but how are we to know that? He is still a Junior Member here. Even if he was a Senior Member he doesn't have the right to flame anybody.

I'm not trying to flame the chief, just pointing out the obvious.

Again, I think it's time to get off of the Spiders back.

:) Big shot? Nope, but thank you.

Everything has been resolved to both our (GEC) & Mickey's (GEH) satisfaction. Nearly all of the files that were suspect have been converted to links, Spider doesn't loose his credit for finding them, and the original works are still preserved in the forums which they were posted. If you wish to download them, you simply end up on Google Earth Community to download the file. If you stay and participate in the discussion, that's even better. Also, we're capable of doing the same thing with the posts, threads and files located here - reference back to you guys for credit where it's due.

I've locked the referenced thread about this on GEC.

Thank you to both Mickey & Appletom for your time and assistance in getting this taken care of. That it could be done in a fashion that makes it a "win" for both sites is a credit to you.

Gandolf
09-01-2006, 07:25 PM
:) Big shot? Nope, but thank you.

Everything has been resolved to both our (GEC) & Mickey's (GEH) satisfaction. Nearly all of the files that were suspect have been converted to links, Spider doesn't loose his credit for finding them, and the original works are still preserved in the forums which they were posted. If you wish to download them, you simply end up on Google Earth Community to download the file. If you stay and participate in the discussion, that's even better. Also, we're capable of doing the same thing with the posts, threads and files located here - reference back to you guys for credit where it's due.

I've locked the referenced thread about this on GEC.

Thank you to both Mickey & Appletom for your time and assistance in getting this taken care of. That it could be done in a fashion that makes it a "win" for both sites is a credit to you.

As I am a member of both groups and a moderator on GEH I stayed out of this. I know the integrity of both groups and knew it would resolve to everyone's satifaction.. Thanks to all.

john