PDA

View Full Version : tank assault in iraq?

nummer2
08-04-2005, 01:46 AM
i found an airport (a military airbase i think) in iraq. there are standing apaches and black hawks. anyhow they like like them. it seems that the american shortly arrived there. but you have to look allover the whole airbase. it looks strage. are there bombing crates? or only sand? i found it very cool to see. first i thought there are bombs exploding, but i didnt sind some bumbers in teh air. but look at my second file. i think it is a destroyed mig29 or an other mig.

but the most strangeful thing (the first file) ist a couple of tanks. it looks like 20 tanks are shooting together on the same target. or its only the tracks of the tanks. if you know more please answer. good night everyone .-)

watts
08-04-2005, 06:59 PM
i found an airport (a military airbase i think) in iraq. there are standing apaches and black hawks. anyhow they like like them. it seems that the american shortly arrived there. but you have to look allover the whole airbase. it looks strage. are there bombing crates? or only sand? i found it very cool to see. first i thought there are bombs exploding, but i didnt sind some bumbers in teh air. but look at my second file. i think it is a destroyed mig29 or an other mig.

Those are bomb craters. I don't see any fixed wing aircraft there so there wasn't a need for intact runways at the time this imagery was taken. This is the airbase where they found those buried MiGs. They also found 3 MiG-25s there. According to the article linked below, they eventually fixed the runways so C130s could land there.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/al-asad.htm

Cassian
08-05-2005, 09:47 AM
If you're looking for other bomb craters look about 50 kilometres down the Euphrat. Theres a runway, which is clearly destroyed by bombs (or dynamite?) to prevent it from being used. I don't know who did this, but i can clearly say that this runway won't be used for a long time... ;)

You can also see some black rectangles beside it, which are about 7 metres long (according to the meaure-tool). Maybe tanks...