PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth 4 Beta Released

GEH4EVR
06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Google has released a new version of Google Earth!

It's called Google Earth 4 Beta and you can get it <a href=http://earth.google.com/earth4.html>here</a>

It supports a whole new User Interface and the ability for Photo Realistic 3D Models.

shrinkingman
06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
That link doesn't work, you need to lose the slash from the end.

Just downloaded and installed it, they seem to have improved it a lot. The interface is much better. By the way, when did they add the National Geographic layer for the USA?

martin
06-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Great, so far i can see!
Much more space and the possibility to hide the sidebar.
"Transparent" navigation, good idea.
Still miss a search function in My Places and a "Locking North" feature.
Anyways, another step foreward!

Appletom
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
GEH4EVR's link is fixed.

GE4.0 looks cool. The new 'tools' thing in the upper right corner takes a little getting used to. And - the 'reset tilt' command comes by double clicking on the left mark. (Hard to explain, easy to figure out)

Rotating is easier, resetting to North takes a single click on the "N"

Here's the partial list of new things - http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/index.html#newfeatures

Roadsweeper
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
got my google earth updated. Now how do i get 3d photo realite buildings? is it possible on the free version?

Appletom
06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Huh? - here's a little oddity. Look at the new GEarth logo:

http://earth.google.com/images/art.gif

Compare it to the old one (look at my avatar)

Why is the little green planet rolling away? Who is he and where's he going? Why is he leaving us? What's his name?

GEH4EVR
06-12-2006, 08:53 PM
got my google earth updated. Now how do i get 3d photo realite buildings? is it possible on the free version?

You need to go to the website in my post(at the top) and then just download the Google Earth 4 Beta, then you can see the buildings.

kazuma
06-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Google has released a new version of Google Earth!

It's called Google Earth 4 Beta and you can get it <a href=http://earth.google.com/earth4.html>here</a>

It supports a whole new User Interface and the ability for Photo Realistic 3D Models.

And, finally there is a Linux version, that works pretty good and it's really fast :)

Regards
Kazuma

BradG7
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
About that logo, it appears that it has been flipped and then the angle changed a little on the view ;)
*edit*
I realized when I installed the Beta 4, that I had version 2.something :shock:
The layout is wierd :slant:

koiv870
06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
The download link doesnt work for me so can someone put it in the forum or somewhere else please?

thanks!

Appletom
06-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Try this koiv870 - http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

koiv870
06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
thats the link that doesnt work for me!!!!!!!!!

Appletom
06-13-2006, 12:07 AM
That's the only link they have! Try http://dl.google.com/earth/GE4/GoogleEarthWin.exe - that should be the direct url that the button activates. If a normal click doesn't do it, try a right click and choose "Save Link As"

koiv870
06-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Thank you very much appletom it works!! And its in french so its perfect!

The only problem is that it installed 3 shortcuts on my desktop but hey, its just funny LOL!

thanks again!

streetwolf
06-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Version 4 looks nice!

One thing I noticed is that I have an empty C:\GoogleEarth folder on my C drive. I think it might be the cache folder. I keep mine on another partition so maybe GE creates one on the default partition (C) before it realizes it is located somewhere else. GE4 is using the cache on my other partition. It just keeps the empty C: one around. Even if I delete it it still comes back when I run GE.

I suppose this will be fixed in the future.

Gandolf
06-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Might be a temp folder for use when you open Google. Most programs have one I make mine c:\temp and set it up in the enviroment in windows XP.

dapascha
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Looks nice... but what happened to my layers window? I really liked being able to turn on and off 3d buildings, roads and placenames... In fact, I don't seem to have any buildings at all anymore. (I still have downloaded 3d-models though.)

Is this beta not fully functional yet or has Google been teasing me and do they want me to buy the full version??

Gandolf
06-13-2006, 03:59 PM
They are all there. Just need to look for eveerything all over again. Once you find them, just check the ones you use the most.

dapascha
06-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Well, I had to re-download and re-install, and presto, they're back. (And I didn't even have to use foul language! ;) )

blob
06-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Hum,
Still only 2 Gb disk cache...
and still no way in options to make a directory path to choose/load up another saved cache file...

Perhaps that`ll appear in the final version...

georg
06-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Well, I had to re-download and re-install, and presto, they're back. (And I didn't even have to use foul language! ;) )
I had the same problem.

stefankarakashev
06-14-2006, 02:09 PM
I have a problem with my status bar and city names,any suggestions how I can fix that?

thx

MikeNTX
06-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Anyone else have problems with overlays in the new beta version? What I see is that I have to be at the right angle to see it otherwise an overlay seems to flash on and off.

richardmtl
06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
I had the same problrm. I had a rather large overlay (4 MB), and anytime I moved, everything flashed and went slow. However, strangely enough, if I went into the properties and clicked in the "source" or "location" box (forgot the official name), I could see the overlay clearly.

marcvanaachten
06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
has anyone noticed, that military objects like the 2 blackbirds or the stealth bomber in google beta 4 is replaced with just an small sign. The original picture is gone..at least in my version or did I do mistake and the download files does not work anymore with google beta 4?

streetwolf
06-15-2006, 01:04 PM
has anyone noticed, that military objects like the 2 blackbirds or the stealth bomber in google beta 4 is replaced with just an small sign. The original picture is gone..at least in my version or did I do mistake and the download files does not work anymore with google beta 4?

If it's not a mistake on your end then possibly the Government asked Google, 'nicely', to get rid of it for National Security reasons.

BradG7
06-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Most likely that is the case, or they got more recent pictures ;)

greypound
06-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I have just upgraded my v3 to beta4 - but the loading and response time is now very slow. I can no longer 'grab' the image and pull it left to right in real time - there is no response for 20 seconds or so then the frame starts to move.
Similarly, using the scroll button to zoom in is pathetically slow.
I must have the set-up wrong, but I have made no changes.
Can I revert to v3 by reinstalling it, without losing placemarks etc.

I have a NVidia 6600GT graphics card, Win2000 and 1.8 Ghz processor - so although they are not state of the art they should be OK.

Any clues/comments??

huwyngr
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
I have just upgraded my v3 to beta4 - but the loading and response time is now very slow.

I find it much slower to load now than it did at first -- by "load" I mean get rid of the white rectangular flash screen and bring up the image of the globe -- and yet my understanding of the initial announcement was that it would be quicker to load.

In general I like the changes except I don't like the E-W orientation of the tilt control since the actual tilt is N-S. I'd rather switch the two sliders or have them both N-S.

beau99
06-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Wow, this version is so much better!

I can see my hometown, finally.

Captain Hornblower
06-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow, this version is so much better!

I can see my hometown, finally.
...which has nothing to do with the version. Both should have the same database of pictures.

beau99
06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
...which has nothing to do with the version. Both should have the same database of pictures.
I know. I was having a bit of brain fade.

huwyngr
07-01-2006, 12:52 AM

Literally true but the same announcment (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/446234/Main/446234/#Post446234) also said they had improved definition on more areas -- not that I've spotted any improvements where I knew it was bad.

Captain Hornblower
07-01-2006, 08:50 AM
But it has nothing to do which version you use, as long as we don't talk about 3D-models. They are much better now (AFAIK, because I still use GE3).

kindley
08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
i think its allright, but it took me a while to get used to the navigational tools being up in the right hand corner.

q1o2
08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Uhhh, I downloaded it, and it seems kinda hard to get used to, but besides that, its good. Thats all i'll call it. Good. It's not "great", and its not "terrible".