PDA

View Full Version : Why should i bother?

blob
06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Hum,
i tried to upload a few overlays of stone circles and they were refused because they were too large for your server. It was suggested i connect to the images from a remote server - which i can't .

The images overlays were less than 100kb each,
so i ask myself, are you running out of HD space?

BradG7
06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
If you post them here, I can look at them ;)

blob
06-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Hum,
tnx, but no,
i can't be bothered wasting another ten minutes to upload the files.

And, what do i get in return if i do?

I may as well offer my files for free and `direct download` from my own websites.

Captain Hornblower
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
There is a limit of 2,5 MB for a file. I don't know why, but that's the limit (Mickey can probably answer this). When you put many overlay pictures in a file the limit can be reached.

blob
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Hum,
They were in 5 separate files - to keep the download times short.
As i said all were less than 100kb. (ie total less than 100kb x 5)
And i didn't want to place them all together in with the simple 1kb placements folder that i had already uploaded. I realise that not everyone has a super fast computer and loads of memory like me.

BradG7
06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
We are not trying to offend anyone or be prejudice towards anybody. Us, as mods, do not do things randomly or pointlessly, but we do relaize that you get no tangible outcome from time put in to GEH, but it's the internal satisfaction that we love to take pride in. The Christian bible has a simaler line, about "those good deeds that go unoticed, are always noticed by the lord." We don't expect anything back from GE or GEH, we just simply love to share our knowledge, SpiderX22 sums it up when he said (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7276&page=1&pp=15), "Can I take part? Probably not, but I'll try to solve it, then glamour in my own withheld glory. But yes...please do try this."

blob
06-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Hum,
ok, i accept that these moderator quirks happen here.
But that gives me no confidence to upload anything else here.

<Rant mode On>
It basically winds-me-up to redo something that should just have been posted instantly.
i will in future upload my files elsewhere. Somewhere that offers me at least ease of use, reliability and spontaneity for my work. (Ask yourself - If you had a piece of software that was slow and sometimes crashed, losing your work, would you use it?)

For the future, i would suggest you review some basics of your forum upload operations and policies. Why, for example, such a delay reviewing uploads?

http://www.geocities.com/goarana669/new.jpg

Why don't you for example have a standard `no screenshot available` icons available for uploads in the Current Events section, so that they can be posted (automatically?) at least on the day that it happened. They can be reviewed by the users/customers or by the moderators afterwards (something akined to open source verses microsoft)

The `delete` function in the My files section is too restrictive and negative. Where is the option to choose `No i insist, I'm a doctor, it's Ok to upload this` or `Put on hold`?
And where is it when you do need to delete something you loaded up accidentally?
</Rant mode Off>

i am, of course, taking issue on one part the actual forum itself, the rest is fine, imho.

Disclaimer: None, i meant everything i said.

stefankarakashev
06-29-2006, 07:36 AM
I've had some problems with this "software" too... It's frustrating to say the least... But then again there are people who try to do their best and who respect users. The idea for the site and the forum is good, but the actual processing lacks a lot and is too restrictive, you can't modify your files once you upload them, you can't delete them and all the things you said. And a couple of mods have been complaining to us about their job..but I have to say that most of them are nice people (A., C., Ga. etc..).

Something must be done to allow users more freedom, and the service should be quicker.

It's a democratic forum right, we can and should express our concerns and criticism in an open manner, so that it can only improve and serve our best interests.

Captain Hornblower
06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Critics are -when they are constructively- welcome and taken seriously. However, there are some issues that can't be solved by use mods, because even mods are "little indians", the "big chief" is Mickey. Most of what is mentioned above are issues like this. I will ask Mickey to read this thread and maybe he can make some statements.

Why, for example, such a delay reviewing uploads?
It's not our job being a moderator, we do this in our spare time. Some mods are going to school, some mods have a job, some mods have a family. So sometimes the real life is more important than the world of GEH. We try to do our very best, but sometimes it's less than the upload activities of this community. It has been like this from the very first moment (at least since I have found GEH).

And where is it when you do need to delete something you loaded up accidentally?
In case this happens, you can PM one or more mods to ask them deleting it or just post it in the forum. No big deal.

Mickey
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Regarding the 100k issue, I don't know why that's happening. In terms of server space, we're in pretty good shape. Also, we're going to be upgrading to a substantially larger server sometime in the next few weeks. After the move, I plan on re-working much of the code on the site to make things faster/easier. To address some specifics:

Why don't you for example have a standard `no screenshot available` icons available for uploads in the Current Events section, so that they can be posted (automatically?) at least on the day that it happened. They can be reviewed by the users/customers or by the moderators afterwards (something akined to open source verses microsoft)
We sort of have that already. In the main downloads section, there is a link to view all of the unapproved files (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/downloads/unapproved.php).

I agree that it might be better just to mix in the new ones with the existing ones whether they've been approved or not.

The `delete` function in the My files section is too restrictive and negative. And where is it when you do need to delete something you loaded up accidentally?
I can understand how you think it's restrictive, but how is it negative?

blob
06-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Tnx for the feedback,
It was just my perception of the lack of user control.. Other may feel differently.

It would be the same as if i made a mistake typing typing this this reply, and i didn't have a edit option.
i would have to delete it and type it in again.

Just a small thing - but something that could make a big difference to me.

BradG7
06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
As the active mod with the least amount of files approved, I can take responsibility for some files taking time to be approved, but I have school, and it's summer now, but I'm in the St. Clair County Math And Science Technology Enrichment Research Program(MASTER program, summer school for nerds) and I go from 6:30 AM until 4:00 pm including travel time, that's longer than schhol days, so I have less time, and I try to approve files. Only problem is I can't spend my life on the com, I have to stay in shape and be active, otherwise I'll become lazy and fat, which I wouldn't like :mad: So I honestly try to approve files, but I don't get large amounts onthe computer, just small spirts, so I rarley can approve files. :slant: I do put in a lot of time here however, but it accumulates in 3-5 minute periods. ;)
They recruited me to help take some stress off of them, I have not done so well, but I have helped many newcomers and veterans alike keep this place lively.