PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please

Wes
08-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi guys just a quick problem I have, I use to be able to open kzm by just clicking ob the "Download This File!" link and it would just open in my GE. Now when im clicking on it I have the options of save or cancel as the file format is not known. If I save it, it saves just as a document. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Wes

araT
08-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Wes, you have somehow managed to remove the reg file that tells windows that .kmz/.kml files open with google earth..
in order to fix this, just run the google earth installer again, you dont have to uninstall first.

T.

Wes
08-07-2005, 10:57 AM
No unfortunately have tried a re-install but no go :( Links from keyhole all work well. When I open a download from geh site it doesnt have a name. Its says underfile file name document ??

Wes
08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Really Wierd. All the random files on the side of the site it lets me open but any which I search for it wont. Any clues??

araT
08-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Ahh ok, its only happening from certain sites.. In that case, what browser are you using? It seems to be how your browser is handling files from a particular page, try going through your browsers "actions" (weather it automaticly opens a file or saves it by default) if worse comes to worse try a complete reinstall of your browser.

if you dont mind my asking, how did you break it? what have you changed lately?.. it would really help me diagnose.

T.

StarQuest
08-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I have the same problem since yesterday. If I want to download a file, then he saves the file only as a "document". What the hell is going on? :mad:

StarQuest
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Ahh ok, its only happening from certain sites.. In that case, what browser are you using? It seems to be how your browser is handling files from a particular page, try going through your browsers "actions" (weather it automaticly opens a file or saves it by default) if worse comes to worse try a complete reinstall of your browser.

if you dont mind my asking, how did you break it? what have you changed lately?.. it would really help me diagnose.

T.

I use the Internet Explorer. Can you explain again, what I exactly have to do? Unfortunatley I don't really understand what you mean. :(

Wes
08-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I am using Internet Explorer. Had no problems up until tonight. I will try Firefox and see how it goes. Maybe the problem is the browser.

Wes
08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, it is the browser, Firefox allowed me to open the files where IE wouldnt.

araT
08-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Wes, its not the browser so much as how you (or another program / file... etc) have told the browser to handle the file.. but I hope you enjoy firefox, regardless.. in my oppinion it is the superior browser anyway.

I still dont know what it causing this though.. can either of you tell me what changes you made to your computer before you noticed the failing downloads?

T.

StarQuest
08-07-2005, 12:39 PM
I had only changed my graphics card drivers. :confused:

Wes
08-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately I dont know what I did. Although it was when I started to upload files. Perhaps something there

Many thanks for your time.

StarQuest
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
A question to Firefox:

Can I transfer my favorites from the Internet Explorer to Firefox?

StarQuest
08-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Okay, now I have it! :)

Sorry for my request.

Mickey
08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I think the problem was on our end after all. Try it again now with IE and let me know what happens.

pblair12
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Mickey,
Could you please explain what is the proper way to serve up KML or KMZ files from a webserver? I am working on a project and I want to display a form and when the user submits a request (GET or POST) a KML or KMZ file will be returned with the proper content-type. I want that file to automatically be opened with GE, without the user needign to choose "Open with / Save to Disk". It easily works in Mozilla but IE has some strange issues.

Is it even possible? What is the best practices for accomplish this task?

My problem is discussed here (see what MightyPete had to say): http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/296237/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1