PDA

View Full Version : Overlay for damage to a city, siege, diplomacy

rasqual
08-12-2005, 07:04 AM
I think all the attacks should cause damage to cities, and these could be overlays of some kind -- showing areas of damage. Armies could be placed in specific parts of cities as overlays, and these would be attacked. Players who place their armies in heavily populated areas of cities would have a "perfidy factor" accrue on their account, earning a reputation as a pariah in the international community.

Armies could be stationed in the countryside. Though these locations might not be very valuable, perhaps some method could be devised to dramatically increase the value of a rural occupation if occupying armies managed to surround a held urban area, effectively laying siege to it.

Diplomacy is likely to become a big factor, as alliances are formed.

I think something better than jewels needs to come into play, but there's something to be said for the level playing field it creates. How about this, too -- if your forum software has an option for rating posts, implement it and the folks with top-rated posts will get some extra jewels. This rewards participation and community contribution. It could also incite participation, because cunning participants would go out and get their friends to visit the forum and vote for them. That would help spread news about the game by word of mouth.

Mickey
08-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Armies could be stationed in the countryside. Though these locations might not be very valuable, perhaps some method could be devised to dramatically increase the value of a rural occupation if occupying armies managed to surround a held urban area, effectively laying siege to it.
That could get real complicated to code, but I like the idea.

Diplomacy is likely to become a big factor, as alliances are formed.
Agreed.

I think something better than jewels needs to come into play, but there's something to be said for the level playing field it creates. How about this, too -- if your forum software has an option for rating posts, implement it and the folks with top-rated posts will get some extra jewels. This rewards participation and community contribution. It could also incite participation, because cunning participants would go out and get their friends to visit the forum and vote for them. That would help spread news about the game by word of mouth.
I'm looking at a number of different ways to allow people to collect jewels, once I have the current system set so that it's essentially exploit-free.

rasqual
08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, and sieges would involve attrition over time for the city at issue. This would put the denizens in a position of either dying from attrition, or counter-attacking.

It DOES get complicated. The city could not get reinforcements if it were truly surrounded. NO AIR DROPS. ;-) This is a way of indicating that "being surrounded" involves air superiority, too.

Good grief. I take it you fully understand that the feature requests are already tilting in the direction of a full-blown war games architecture, and it'll never stop.

Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself in for? LMAO

Appletom
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself in for? LMAOI couldn't agree more - over half of all of today's GEH posts are about GEHwar - and everybody has an idea or ten - poor Mickey :)

hypeserver
08-13-2005, 01:51 AM
the deplocamcy thing I posted earlier today.