Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this? ~1 mile Diameter circle - France

Question What is this? ~1 mile Diameter circle - France

Hi - I'm new here, what an interesting site, hope that somebody can help me with this one - It appears to be some kind of circular concrete construction, but its nearly a mile in diameter! Haven't read how to make the links yet, it's here - 47 29' 10.79" N 0 27' 40.07" E

Super Moderator

Hi Kahuczek.

Welcome to our community.

What you have found looks like a bombing target and it's not in the directory.

Here is a link showing how to make one and this one should be your first.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509

SHEESH!
    A bombing target 0.91 miles wide!!!
    Even the Americans could hit that in daylight! :-)

....but I don't know what it is.

Bombing target! He,He, what are you on?

Well it's nothing as sinister as that -

I have viewed the same location on multimap, this time it's a green circle, Hmm, what I thought was concrete, must be pale coloured soil, it also has a name - Bois de la Motte

It's a round field, one of the mechanically irrigated types, not very exiting really.

Super Moderator

First of all. Here in this forum we talk nice to every one. No one comes with statements like yours. If you continue you could be banned from GEH.

Secondly, if you zoom in it really looks like other bombing targets found in Nevada USA or other places. Not like irrigation fields like some do think.

Third. I have also looked in other maps and it says Bois de la Motte. If you look around it, it looks like a military training area. Unfortunately not in very Hi res.

So for the next message from you. Think carefully what you write.

I have at looked the site in detail, it looks nothing like a military training area to me, the fact that I viewed it on multimap and it was green suggests vegetation, within the surrounding area there is much Pine forestry, hence someplaces being called 'les Pins', my guess is that it is a nursery area for bringing on saplings or something similar.
    Last edited by Kahuczek; 07-02-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling etc

Super Moderator

You asked a question and I gave an answer what it could be.
    For you, you could say it in a decent way. In this forum we chat with each other as normal people. If some one is using unproper words or language you use with your friends at home you are at the wrong place. Words of yours which you think are OK aren't for others.

If you and other members won't aggree in that we mods can take the consequenses.
    Remember what you said OK to when you signed up to GEH.

This is just a guide for you and others how it works here in this forum.

I am Amazed that I have caused such offence by using a mildly sarcastic comment that is used everyday, this comment would certainly not offend friends or family of mine, or people with whom I do business, " What are you on" another way of saying, "you gotta be joking", you are really saying that is unacceptable, and will result in a ban, I don't believe it, Chill out man

Super Moderator

No "chill out here man" in our forum. As I said, if you don't aggree with our rules of language you should find another place.

As I said, in this forum we use decent language and not street language. We don't care if your friends or family finds it OK. We don't.

We have banned members who wouldn't aggree in our rules. Just think about it.

End of discussion.

So, this is all about the forum rules is it?

What this is really all about, I suspect, is that your ego has taken a bit of a knock, I asked a question, you gave me an answer, that quite frankly, would not be taken seriously by even those of less than moderate intelligence, hence my comment.

Do you think that, using your position as a moderator, to bully new members on the forum is an appropriate use of your powers?
    Last edited by Kahuczek; 07-02-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Grammer

Ah - the things that can happen when a common phrase is accepted in one country, yet considered offensive in another.

I agree with Kahuczek, the phrase "what are you on?" is so very innocuous, and a common (slang) method of describing disbelief that somebody said something. It is just a way of saying, "I disagree" with a smile - at least in my country and culture, probably in Kahuczek's too.

Common variants to "what are you on?" include:

"What have you been smoking?"
    "You've been smoking too much crack."

It is a very polite and humorous way of saying, "I can't believe you said that." And nobody (again, at least in The USA) would be offended if they made a statement and the other party replied, "What are you on?"

I could use the phrase to my Mom, my preacher, my kids - anybody - and no offense would be taken.

Other definitions include:

"You're Nuts"
    "That's Crazy"
    "Oh Brother (roll eyes)"
    "Can you believe (he/she said that)"

And - it looks very much like an old (no longer used) irrigation circle to me too. There is lots of cropland surrounding the "bombing target", the wheel tracks of the circular irrigation are still pretty well defined, and it appears to have plow marks that are straight.

Last but not least, bombing targets are not in close proximity to roads and houses - look six kilometers due east and you will see a small town, and there are other homes within the "safety margin" that a bombing range would require.

I am planning a cycling trip down to the Millau bridge, (still under construction on GE) I have altered my route so as to pass the Bomb target/Irrigation area.

I shall see for myself

Wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuczek
    I am planning a cycling trip
    Dude - have you started sniffing glue again?

It must be an English thing, I am absolutely certain that Kahuczek will take no offense whatsoever to my outrageous reply. Technically, I have accused him of at one time (A) - sniffing glue, and even worse, (B) - recently starting to sniff glue again.

The reason this works in English (Kahuczek's language) and American (my language) is because we both know that the act of sniffing glue causes a disorientation of reality. Why? The logic sequence we must follow:

1 - Kahuczek tells me he (she?) enjoys bike riding,
    2 - I find it unbelievable that anybody would enjoy riding a bike,
    Therefore (in my opinion):
    3 - Anyone who enjoys bike riding must be under the influence of a mind altering substance.

Both Kahuczek and myself understand that logic sequence intuitively.

In addition, my seven word reply also lets Kahuczek know I don't like bike riding (I do, but that's beside the point). Here's the really weird thing - I am also telling Kahuczek that I admire his enjoyment of bike riding

"How?" you may wonder? Because I gave such an over the top response. If I had replied, "Why would anybody want to ride a bike?", that would have been derogatory, it would mean I don't approve of his bike riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuczek
    I shall see for myself
    Ah - now you have an assignment. Please take photos and post them here when you return. Since the original intent of this post is to determine what that (almost) one mile in diameter circle is, and we have gotten way off track (don't you just love forums?), then we shall all wait for photographic evidence, then we won't have any doubts.

While you are at it, get a signed and notarized letter from the owner describing the purpose of the circle, and a detailed history of the land in question.

HeHe!, nobody here sniffs glue anymore,with Class A drugs at such heavily discounted prices, buy a line, get one free etc. I shouldn't laugh, but in reality this is pretty much the status quo. Don't use them myself, instead I invest my spare cash in Cider, - "Ah the fermented juices of the forbidden fruit, it sparkleth at the brim" (Fred Wedlock 1970's)

I digress, Yeah, i'll take the photos, documentation?, I'll have a go at chasing a few french farmers around 'les Pins' for some answers, although if I hear the words -"Le bombardement debutra bientot - vous devez lassier le secteur maintenant", I will be on that bike outta there faster than Lance Armstrong on an Alpine descent, HeHe!

Happydays, Kahuczek (Male)

Super Moderator

He he, how supid can we sometimes be.

I found another map and north of the circle is a place called Le Signal. So my new guess would be a present/former guyed mast transmitter.
    If you look to the left there are some buildings maybe connected to it.