Thread: This Airplane Is A Mistery Can You Help Me

Hybrid View

Default This Airplane Is A Mistery Can You Help Me

I AM NEW TO THIS HOPE YOU CAN FIND THIS.
    Hi to all I live at this time in Nanning China and was searching around a 1000 kilometers area and found this airplane next to a Base ball stadium with no airfield and it has 6 engines. I am planning a trip to try to find it and hope it is still there. can anyone tell me more about this plane? Oh I have come to the conclusion this may not be a stadium just the same shape.
    this is IN YUNAN PROVENCE KUNMING CITY CHINA
    24*56 08.62*N 102*38 39.55*E
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANYTHING YOU CAN TELL ME THANK YOU ABLE41

Welcome able 41 to the GEH forums. This kind of query is one that many people here will be more than happy to help you with. We all love a good mystery. And chances are McMaster_de will not only know what kind of plane, but why it is where it is, and possibly (probably) a photo from the ground. He is the undisputed master at this kind of stuff.

A couple of protocols for you Able:

If you insert latitude and longitude coordinates, make sure they can be copied and pasted into the Fly To box in GEarth. In your lat/long, you inserted some asterisks, and when I try pasting exactly what you typed, I get an error from GEarth telling me my "search returned no results". So it's better without asterisks - like this:

24 56 08.62 N 102 38 39.55 E

Even better than longitude and latitude would be attaching a placemark. It is very simple to create and save a placemark, just click the thumbtack (near the top of the GEarth screen) and follow directions. Once you've created your placemark, right click on it (in the GEarth side window) and choose "save as". Then you can upload it to our forums by clicking the "Manage Attachements" button below the "Submit Reply" button.

I did this and have attached the file. You can see how much easier it would be for someone else to see your plane using the attached kmz file than cutting/copying long/lat coordinates.

Last but not least, about half the time you can find the answer to "What is this?" by turning on the GEC (Google Earth Community) layer found in the lower box on the left side of the GEarth screen. In this case, there is nothing about your plane.

For that, you get a "Good Find" shout out. Finding an airplane in a weird spot - a plane not "discovered" yet by the GEC group - is pretty darn rare. So welcome to GEH, you've elevated yourself fairly high on the esteem meter with this particular plane.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks For The Help. And Your Photo Is From A Other Direction I Wonder Why? And I Can Not See A Vertical Stab On This Plain. Can We Figure Out How And When The Photo Was Taken? From What I Can Figure It Is 6 Years Ago From Progress In Other Places In China.

I Did Have It Pin Marked And Did Not Know How To Add It To The Forums Thank You For The Help.

Able 41

Quote Originally Posted by able 41
    Thanks For The Help.
    My pleasure.

And Your Photo Is From A Other Direction I Wonder Why?
    Hmmm - I'm looking at it from West Texas. Where are you viewing from?

And I Can Not See A Vertical Stab On This Plain.
    The photos are taken by satellite, so it is hard to discern things that stick up from a surface.

Can We Figure Out How And When The Photo Was Taken?
    I think the photo was taken in 2006. It can be determined by the DG Coverage layer, but I forget how.

Super Moderator

Yes welcome to our community. Nice find of you.

The plane is a Harbin SH-5. Only 6 have ever been build, one was rebuld for firefighter duties.

You found one and here are 3 more:
    http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile186...-Seaplanes.htm

Her you can read more about it:
    http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/...rcraft/sh5.asp

Well We Know Where 5 Are Now I Will Have To Search For The Last One. And This Solved The No Airport They Are Sea Planes And The Lake Next To The One I Found Is The Largest Lake In China.
    Thank You Able 41

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post

You found one and here are 3 more:
    http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile186...-Seaplanes.htm
    Sorry sladys, but there are 4 not 3, one is without engines.
    You search it, I will find it!

Quote Originally Posted by McMaster_de View Post
    Sorry sladys, but there are 4 not 3, one is without engines.

It looks as though it is the same plane, just stripped of its 4 turbo props. The hull, tail and wings match otherwise.
    Last edited by nstreetman; 07-06-2007 at 03:29 AM.

Super Moderator

I wasn't sure about the last plane because of the white "thing" at the tail.