Thread: New aircraft carrier being built discussion

Default New aircraft carrier being built discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

New aircraft carrier being built

New aircraft carrier being built in San Diego. The supports for the bottom are laid out in the dry dock, and some of the sections have been put into place.

This can`t be a new Aircraft Carrier.

The next Carrier to be built is USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) and it is built in Newsport News by Northrop.

Ford is currently scheduled to be laid down in 2009, concurrently or nearly so with the commissioning of USS George H. W. Bush. Construction work has already begun; on August 11, 2005, Northrop Grumman held a ceremonial steel cut for a 15-ton plate that will form part of a side shell unit of the carrier.
    You search it, I will find it!

Default Not a new aircraft carrier

You're looking at a tanker or freighter being built at NASSCO in San Diego. The Navy only builds carriers at Newport News.

I should have been more specific in calling it an amphibious assault ship (Wasp or Tarawa class). It looks to be the same size and layout as the amphibious assault ship just to the west of it.

Default Nope

Wasps and Tarawa Class are built at Ingalls Shipping in Pascagoula MS. If this is San Diego as you say, it's NASSCO, and they're building a tanker or freighter. NASSCO does do maintenance work on LHAs, etc, but nothing from the keel up.
    Last edited by dwbosch; 03-20-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwbosch View Post
    Wasps and Tarawa Class are built at Ingalls Shipping in Pascagoula MS. If this is San Diego as you say, it's NASSCO, and they're building a tanker or freighter. NASSCO does do maintenance work on LHAs, etc, but nothing from the keel up.
    I am sitting here looking at it from my hotel room - it definitely is NOT a Nimitz class carrier, but it is a flattop of some sort - probably one undergoing some Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) work - the whole island is wrapped in a white covering and there is no identifying info I can see anywhere.

Smile Could Be A New Helo/VTOL Carrier or tanker

It is no where near big enough to be a Nimitz/Theodore Roosevelt class or the CVN-21 class. Therefore with its large black surface it could be a new Marine VTOL/Helo carrier or a really big oil tanker. The tanker is more likely because a company is building a new class that will be bigger/tougher to head to Russian waters to get the oil from there.

Cool

Its 305m by 40m approx, if that any help, you could figure how big a carrier is and what ever else, what ever dimentions math, thats what it is!

Okay, I read all your guesses now I'll tell what it is. It's a decommissioned aircraft carrier I don't remember which one they are preparing it for mothballing.
    I don't think it was towed to Suisin river by Sacramento, I think it was being towed up to Washington state first for the removal of it's reactor components.
    Sorry I don't remember which one it was though. I didn't even download the fie, just by reading the comments specifically the ship "island" be shrink wrapped is indicative of a ship being prepared for storage.
    The U.S. government will hold on to it until it becomes a rust bucket, and then tow it out to the ocean and sink it. Look on G'earth up around Suisin city on the river and you'll find all our mothballed ships.