Thread: Shooting Stars

Default Shooting Stars

Did anyone witness the shooting stars last night, it was visible from the northen hemisphere, and it was amazing. Not like anything ive seen before! the pictures and videos cannot compare to the real thing, if there are any pics, please post them as i would be interested to see.
    Its caused when the earth passes through a comets dust an ice trail, the ice and dust hits the earths atmosphere and burns up, it makes the air glow, and this is the dust trail. The dust travels at 132,000mph, 30 - 40 miles a second!

Thanks.(please post pics)
    Heres one, with my phones VGA camera, mine professional one is still in for servicingthe pics a bit wishy washy, the cams from a VK 4000 and is pretty bad !) The pics been zoomed in 4x on the phone and 3x on the PC.

P.S theres more stars tonight to night !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ssnandra; 08-13-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: forgot to say something

Yeah, I saw them last night, I only saw about 5 big ones, but I saw a lot of very small lights moving at a high speed in a higher orbit, If it's happening tonight I might go and have a look.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

Super Moderator

I had the best clear sky in years so I had a fantastic sight with a lot of shooting stars. Many were very big.

Then there were satellites and the ISS.

there is a site to use to see all about the sky, including satellites and ISS positions to view. The ISS position you can see on the front page of the site.

It's a great site.

Go to: http://www.heavens-above.com

You create and log in a pass word and you can set it up with your position. Either search the site or find coordinates in GE.
    Attached Images Attached Images