Thread: Sunken cargo ship discussion

Super Moderator

Default Sunken cargo ship discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Sunken cargo ship

I found this sunken cargo ship. The water is shallow and so clear that even the ship's underwater shadow can be seen clearly.

Default I wouldn't bet on that...

Nice find - took me some minutes to be sure that this is not a wreck but another ghostship.
    First of all the place: There is no way that a wreck would stay longer than a week in the middle of the navigation channel. And even if that would be the case, there would be lots of stuff (surface markers, boats, cranes) around it.
    Second: The shadow. Look at the water surrounding the ship. Brown, with lots of swirls and sand. And remember: This is the North Sea - not the Caribean. You never have a view deeper than 1m.

Prove me wrong...
    chris

Post Not in Nav channel

The ship is not in the Nav channel it is just outside of it and what you said about ships not being removed. If you check over Pearl harbor there are two sunken LSTs in a large nav channel

Cool

hmmmm, this is near hamburg...... if i am corect this is a olddd rust ship, my friends grandfather says it was sunk of the coast in 1845ish, its not big enough to be modern, so this backs up the point, and i also think its a tourist attraction and a heratige there for it cant be removed with out permission from the government, it looks like only small boats roam around those parts so it wont ctach anything

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

It is far away from Hamburg, actually in Dutch waters. The water there isn't clear enough to see anything what is just cm below the surface.
    So what we see here is the transition of two picture, one with the ship, one without the ship.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

I dont think this was made by transitions of two pics. I still believe that it is a sunken ship. Any surfacing objects will create this 'splash trails' (Sorry, not from english spoken country). take a look at any objects near it. Even the 'water traffic tower' (to the east of the sunken ship, someone misjudge it as flying missilie) creates this splash trails also.

Jim.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

There are also things north of the ship don't make that trails. If you would knew the waters of the river Ems you would agree, that the water there is so "muddy" that you can't see anything below surface. Compare it to the breakwaters to the south. You can't see the stone in the water.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine