Thread: Possible Sub discussion

Default Possible Sub discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Possible Sub

Here is one I've not seen on any sights yet.

19░19'16.00"S 149░ 1'5.92"E

I don`t think that this is a sub, because you can see a smaller boat right behind the larger waves.
    You search it, I will find it!

Super Moderator

I think this possible sub is either diving or just comming above surface so the water hits the tower of the sub. That what you call a boat.

Default Surfacing

I agree, you're seeing what I'm seeing, it's the conning tower or sail creating the rear wake. And considering the rise on the bow and depth of the stern deck... I'm thinking it's surfacing. Either way, it's a good size vessel. I was excited to have spotted it. I saw the higher res image in the middle of nowhere
    and thought... why would they do that, must be something her worth looking at. BINGO - This global scavenger hunt is fun, wife thinks I'm insane.

It's a very interesting image and I don't blame people for thinking this. However, I see two boats.

It's not just surfacing as you can see a long wake behind. That wake is far more typical of a boat rather than a submarine as well.

Secondly, there are two wakes and they're offset. In other words, one wake-creating object isn't on top of the other.

Also, if a submarine were submerging, the bow wouldn't be making a wake like that as it'd be going under. Also, when comparing measurements to Collins class submarines the bow's distance to a sail isn't right.

Finally, if the sail were making a wake, it should still be visible, but instead we only have a white boat that's blended with its own wake.

Interesting find though.

There is another reason, that this is no sub. Look at the surrounding area. You will see many atolls and island, so the ocean would not be deep enough for a sub to dive and no sub-commander will get in an area like this.
    You search it, I will find it!

Hey guys welcome to my 1st post

I think that's a really interesting location so i'm following this thread since it started.
    But your posts confused me a little.

"I see a boat"... i looked on the water again and again because of these posts. But there is no boat someone could see.
    There is the sea, there are waves, there is splashing water, something that could be 2 bow waves and a track on the water where you can reconstruct the last route of whatever it is.
    But there is no boat visible. Neither 1, nor 2.

Also "that can't be a sub because of the low water depth". Sorry but i can't see the depth on GE. Sure there are atolls so i don't think the water is 400m deep or s.th. but a sub can drive in pretty low waters. So even if it was only 30m there it would be no problem for a sub. It could even dive in that water. The australian class of 'collins' boats have a draught of 7 m (http://www.military-today.com/navy/collins_class.htm)

I think it is a sub.
    Why? Well there are different reasons.

Take a look at the distance to the continent. It's about 100km. That's a little far for 2 boats of a size too small to see. Besides the reefs that barely rise outside the sea there is nothing else.

Next point is the size of the big bow wave and it's distance to the smaller one. The diameter of the big one is about 12m using GE ruler. That would approx. fit to collins class. It has 7.8m beam.
    The distance to the smaller one is about 30m. I've no exact numbers but it would fit to the position of the collins class tower. The boat length is 77.8 m and the tower is somehow in the middle having self a length of several meters.

Everything fits perfect...unless i can't see the sub.
    Maybe it's just diving? Or the pic quality is too bad? Or its color fits perfect to the sea?

My conclusion is that i/we don't really know what it is and that's the cool thing about this location

I decided to respond since your note was so well worded and clearly thought out. (Good first post!)

I should also state that I agree with your later statement about there not really being an absolute answer on this one. It IS vague, yes. More on that at the bottom, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Poomuckl View Post
    "I see a boat"... i looked on the water again and again because of these posts. But there is no boat someone could see.
    There is the sea, there are waves, there is splashing water, something that could be 2 bow waves and a track on the water where you can reconstruct the last route of whatever it is.
    But there is no boat visible. Neither 1, nor 2.
    White boats very often meld considerably into the wakes, yes. I do see two triangular shapes, though.

Take a look at the distance to the continent. It's about 100km. That's a little far for 2 boats of a size too small to see. Besides the reefs that barely rise outside the sea there is nothing else.
    Looking around it's not difficult to find various atolls and reefs as anchor spots for boats. Presumably they're diving, snorkeling, or something similar. It seems reasonable they'd be out there, likely to visit one of these nearby reefs.

In fact if you go NNE from this boat to one of the large, round shallow spots you'll see a boat anchored there that's not much larger. There's another very boat-like white spot almost due north on that shallow area that looks like it has structure and isn't just a white cap. That one would be a boat about the size of the rear one, assuming I'm right that it's two boats and not a sub.

Next point is the size of the big bow wave and it's distance to the smaller one. The diameter of the big one is about 12m using GE ruler. That would approx. fit to collins class. It has 7.8m beam.
    The distance to the smaller one is about 30m. I've no exact numbers but it would fit to the position of the collins class tower. The boat length is 77.8 m and the tower is somehow in the middle having self a length of several meters.
    I based my own measurement on other Collins submarines visible in Google Earth. Measurements show it about 20m from the visible bow of the ship. Note that the visible part of the Collins hull is only 5 meters shorter than the overall length and part of the unseen portion is at the stern with the rudders and prop. I can't make up the extra 10m one would need at the very least. If you go over to the Garden Island Base near Medina there are some good examples of Collins submarines. (ignoring the decommissioned Oberon class of course )

Again, I have to say that the two wakes are not 'on top' of each other to my eyes. The rear wake is offset to the side.

Well, that's my take on a response.

You're right about being absolutely sure, though. Sometimes things look 'not right' for something but it's just the angle or lighting. Other times things look good, and it turns out to be false. Although I'm fairly confident about my own decision, you're entirely correct that it's a tricky spot. I just can't be dogmatic about my answer.