Thread: unidentified discussion

Super Moderator

Default unidentified discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

unidentified

there are three things that look like runways here. Look close there not runways. Can anyone help identify these? They look as if they lead underground. Each one has some kind of object near it. Anyone know what this object is? Help identify this area please.

Super Moderator

It's the US Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center, just called 29 Palms after the road through it.
    You can see the barracs SW of your thumbnail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_...entynine_Palms

To the NW of the barracs you see the runway of 29 Palms.
    http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile12274/Camp-wilson.htm

So now it's identified
    Last edited by sladys; 09-18-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Turn on Google Earth Community Layer.

Matt

Super Moderator

I know but GEC dorsn't tell much about it.

I recognize the setup. The things you've marked are moving gunnery targets. Commonly this would be for gunnery practice with anti-armor weaponry or other armored vehicles. Given that sources say this is an air-ground training area, I'd guess these are for the aircraft to attack a moving target.

The object marked is a fake tank which will travel along the track, providing slightly more of a challenge to hit than a stationary target.

To provide an example of the ground-forces version I'll include a set of placemarks for the Fort Knox training areas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default defo identifide

Well haveing been in the millitery i can safely say that what you can see here is a gunnery range for tank etc, etc and the long stripps that you can see are infact target dollies on rails, for the prctice of shooting moving targets and when the dollie returns back to the bunker a new target is fitted ! Also if you notice that all the other buildings only have an opening to one side i.e the noth side ! this is to protect the range staff . i now this to be so as i also did my time as range staff while i was in my tank regiment and as you can imagine it's a good idea to stay low when your mates are throwing bombs in your direction ! Well hope that helps , just joined google hack this evening to let you know !