Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GEboards FAQs

one way to get around this is to have multiple pulldown lists for the catigories. so, first puldown you select bank, second select bank of america.
    Or another way I think yould work better is to use predictive text in the subject line. sort of like IE does with search history when youre typing a web address. This can also help with mispellings.
    Good idea. However, my Flash skills are very weak (it took me a while to build those simple forms), so I'd need some serious help from a Flash expert.

Predictive text in the subject line.
    From this, a catagory list would become active with posible choices based on the subject entered. This would also aid in selecting the subject. Include the "other" option for new catagories and places.
    After the catagory is selected and the place has a title, there is a area to select an Icon. Defult, User submited, or new... This will also be determined by the subject.
    and then you have the post section for a discription. as "Optional"
    Very good ideas. I'm trying to keep it simple for now, but if things get busier I'll need to consider ideas like this.

The way it works right now is that we have dozens of hidden categories that you don't see in the drop-down, mostly for smaller chains of restaurants and shopping venues. When someone submits a location for a site that's not in the drop-down, we can often just put it in the correct category and move on. I'm trying to keep the drop-down list on the site pretty clean, so most categories aren't visible there.

For single locations (mom & pop restaurants, etc), we have the ability to upload thread-specific icons. I've not opened that up to the users for two reasons:

1 - I'm trying to keep everything inside of Google Earth. As of now, that would require an external web page.
    2 - I'm trying to keep them all at the exact same specs. While many users would follow posted specs, I'm sure many others wouldn't.

That being said, this is another case where I'll probably open it up to the users once the level of posts/day increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Very interesting. Let me get this straight:

- When posting a thread, you DO get the drop-down box to choose a category.
    - When using the "Choose Category" tool to filter the results, you do NOT get the drop-down box.

Correct?

The catagory box when posting a new thread is blank. NO options available on it.

In the "Choose Category" tool to filer the results is available.

Sorry for any confussion. Just want to get it right so that I can use it.

Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    The catagory box when posting a new thread is blank. NO options available on it.

In the "Choose Category" tool to filer the results is available.
    Thanks for that info. I've not heard of anyone else with similar problems, but it's bound to come up so I'd like to figure out what's going on.

What version of Flash do you have installed? (check it here)

Also, what version of Windows? (2000, XP, Vista)

Running latest version of flash along with xp sp2. deleted it and downloaded the app. again and still same problem. It gives me network link error at first then eventually connects under the browsing link. Could this be my issue?

Running latest version of flash along with xp sp2. deleted it and downloaded the app. again and still same problem. It gives me network link error at first then eventually connects under the browsing link. Could this be my issue?
    Weird. I don't think it could be just your issue, but I'll certainly look into it.

The network link error is probably unrelated. I've been squishing some bugs this evening and caused a few more. I'm working on that right now.

How about Google Earth? Under [Help] --> [About Google Earth] what version are you on (all 10 or so digits)?

Thumbs down advertising

I have downloaded the KML package and it works, but it is full of useless (to me) placemarks. Most I see is Maredo, Burger King, Pizza Hut and McDonalds, and I found no filter.

I found none of my 300 placemarks.

To me it looks like payed fastfood propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Felippo View Post
    I have downloaded the KML package and it works, but it is full of useless (to me) placemarks. Most I see is Maredo, Burger King, Pizza Hut and McDonalds, and I found no filter.
    The filter is on the left, titled "GEboards - Choose Category".

I found none of my 300 placemarks.
    Old placemarks aren't currently in there, though I'm considering adding them.

That's just been the easiest items to add. Over time, it will become much more balanced.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felippo View Post
    Most I see is Maredo, ....

I am not payed by anyone for adding Maredo or Block House (also my work ), but I love to eat a good steak, what you usually can get there. AFAIK both houses are not in the Google Earth restaurant list, so I thought it's an interesting information for a few people here.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Lightbulb editing

How about a way to edit something you posted..
    [url=http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=5d07ad1a0d9fbacc9ce198a58b08f8c3] Editor of "Best of Chicago" Collection[/url] and [url=http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=816c48f48d4df03d6083d7f9a8411c22] "Chicago, IL" Collection[/url]
    [url=http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=811714d3868a49d5109a58172c3deee8] Models I've Created [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Nickvet419 View Post
    How about a way to edit something you posted..
    It's on my list...

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I'm guessing this was your first "Vortex Springs" post. Some weird symbol ended up in there near your URL and it caused a problem. I've fixed that and tweaked the code to prevent it from happening again.
    Still gave me the strange symbol at the end of the url, I erased it shows up fine. I still don't have the option for category, when posting a new thread either.

I know you don't want to clutter up the catagory list and keep it simple for now, but after making numerous posts, I found there are a few that could come in handy that you might want to add later on...

Theater/Symphony Hall/Opera House (non movie)
    Veterinary Clinic
    Ruins/Archaeological Site
    Dam
    Mine
    Plant/Factory
    Statue/Monument
    Shooting Range (maybe under Sports)
    Canyon
    Cave

BTW, I like Nickvet's idea about the multiple pulldown selections.

Still gave me the strange symbol at the end of the url, I erased it shows up fine. I still don't have the option for category, when posting a new thread either.
    The strange symbol appears whenever anything is pasted into the Flash box. I have no idea why...

Quote Originally Posted by longtrang View Post
    I found there are a few that could come in handy that you might want to add later on...

Theater/Symphony Hall/Opera House (non movie)
    Veterinary Clinic
    Ruins/Archaeological Site
    Dam
    Mine
    Plant/Factory
    Statue/Monument
    Shooting Range (maybe under Sports)
    Canyon
    Cave
    I'll try to get those added today.

BTW, I like Nickvet's idea about the multiple pulldown selections.
    Me too, but we need someone good with Flash to help do it. Know anyone?

IS there a way to add a category labeled like "Questions"..so if someone doesn't know what something is they can ask a question about it. (I'd put this category under other).
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    IS there a way to add a category labeled like "Questions"..so if someone doesn't know what something is they can ask a question about it. (I'd put this category under other).
    Great idea. I'll add that later today as well.