Thread: Square in the Desert discussion

Default Square in the Desert discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Square in the Desert

A random single-colored box in the desert of New Mexico. Looks sort of as if its censoring something.

Here is a view in Virtual Earth. Not clear but not blocked. Looks like Google put a piece of cloth over the area in the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

There's a couple threads under GEC layer. Looks like missle test range of some sort. I don't think it's censored. I think they just bulldozed the entire area. Maybe looking for old unexploded bombs or to remove contamination. Hard to say, but you can see bulldozer tracks.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Forkboy2 View Post
    There's a couple threads under GEC layer. Looks like missle test range of some sort. I don't think it's censored. I think they just bulldozed the entire area. Maybe looking for old unexploded bombs or to remove contamination. Hard to say, but you can see bulldozer tracks.

Matt
    Yes, the GEC layer describes it as "White Sands Missile Range: Warhead Impact Test area." And, yes, it looks like it has been "cleaned up" in preparation for future tests.

The center is a little overexposed, but if you zoom in on the edges, you can easily see the areas where the tractor(s) turned.

Question Atomic test site ?

If you look @ 8 miles NE you will find the "Trinity Site", which is smaller but, otherwise, identical. Also, there are 2 similar sites immediatly NNW & NNE of this one. Perhaps additional test sites prepared in case they were needed to follow-up Trinity. No need after succsseful Trinity test or because of rush to deploy?