Changing the order of items that appear
Right now, the system shows the 25 items with the highest number of replies (sub-sorted by highest number of views). I'd like to enhance that a bit.
I'm thinking of writing a script that will run periodically (once an hour?) and give every thread a value, based on how important it is.
- Every thread starts with 1000 points
- They lose 10 points for each day that it's gone without a reply
- They gain 200 points for each reply
- They gain 1 point for each view
- If they are in the "restaurant" or "shopping" category they lose 100 points.
Then, on every screen that a user views it will show the top 25 threads with the highest point value in their viewing area.
The idea is that I don't want things like a random Burger King in Kansas to come up if you're viewing the whole US, unless there was a major news event (like a shooting) at that Burger King.
So, tweak the point scale. What would make it work best?
Ok, this has been implemented. The only change so far is that I also added "gas stations" to the list of things that automatically lose 100 points. This should help things be more relevant on the site, but please let me know if you have any suggestions to tweak it.