Thread: Russian sub missile hatches discussion

Default Russian sub missile hatches discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Russian sub missile hatches

A Russian sub (Delta class) in Severodvnisk with its missile hatches open. The one beside it measure about 110m by 12m - could be a Sierra, Victor, or Akula class.

Default Submarine Website

There is a website that is all about finding and identifying subs in Gearth. It has placemarks you can DL for subs all over the world, photos, links and stuff.

www.submarinefinder.com

The Delta is either a II or a III. I'm not sure how they are distributed between the fleets.

The other sub is slightly problematic. It's not an Akula nor a Victor III. I've never seen either of those sub classes with the forward diving planes on the sail like this one. The Sierra II does have them on the sail, but are not always visible because they can be retracted. Also the sail of the Akula class is very different from what we see.

The problem with the Sierra II is that the sail is a little too far forward and, more importantly, there's no sonar pod on the tail. (which is a problem for the other two as well)

I'm uncertain just what it is. It looks too complete to be the partially completed Severodvinsk (Graney class) submarine. Also, the only shot of it I've seen is a model, and the diving planes are wrong.

Really, if the Lada class were larger, it'd be a great match, but those are only 72m and are also entirely out of the running.

It might be a Sierra II or MAYBE a Victor III that's undergoing maintenance on the tail sonar pod. I don't know if that's more likely than it being the Severodvinsk or not.

Default Fellow Subhunter

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who does this.

Not familiar with the new Severodvnisk (Graney?) class....off to do some research. Thanks Munden.