Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest Resolution EVER

it's amazing to think of what we have in our hands with G/Earth what various military and government agengies must have to hand for there activities and what they get up to with it.. how powerful there programs might actually be.. anyone here reckon they know the what if's about that ??

anyway iam off to sunbath naked in the garden ,, the next satellite is due in 5 mins... :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief
    Interesting point on the 'pennies' observation.

What is the highest documented resolution, not sci-fi espionage stuff?
    I remember reading somewhere, maybe in National Geographic, once that de-classified SR-71 program documents stated that the camera equipment on that plane coult read the date on a dime from 80000 feet, however, a breif google search turned up nothing to confirm or this.

http://www.rmc.ca/academic/gradrech/dorn19-3_e.html
    "The resolution of modern military reconnaissance satellites is considered to be 15 cm (6 inches) or even better"
    "The theoretical resolution limit for photo-reconnaissance from space is about 2-5 cm, arising from atmospheric perturbation which cannot be corrected for."

Doubling the diffraction resolution requires doubling the diameter of the telescope mirror, which gets increasingly difficult to launch.
    The Hubble space telescope mirror is 2.4 meter diameter, and Keyhole spy satellites are similar. It would be possible to use segmented mirrors so you are not lifting one huge chunk of glass (Keck telescope is one such ground-based design) but that would bring in a whole new set of engineering challenges.

that is totally good. cool, thx for the kmx. file
    Hello i come from Germany

Heh! It even has a beach volleyball court!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aarogh
    why don't they have this res. for all the places?
    This was probably taken in a plane or helicopter. Like many high-resolution overlays. I doubt this is from a satalite.

Why not? As far as I know, a satellite can take pictures this close.
    -Steeefan

Google do not only separate also the environment is highly soluble.
    Hello i come from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dolph
    This was probably taken in a plane or helicopter. Like many high-resolution overlays. I doubt this is from a satalite.
    Why do you presume this? Government satellites can read a newspaper on a park bench.. thats FAR better res than 1 inch per pixel (like the Google HQ is)

..also there are no funny angles in the image.. i presume its satellite.. if you want an example of plane-taken photos, look at Sydney, Australia.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Giventofly
    Here is the Google campus at 1 inch per pixel, and max zoom of 36 feet elevation.

At North of Google Campus... there are strange fields with a strong color. They are green... other are very, very red!!! Which are those things??? Lake ponds of sulfuric acid??? And we can see more to North a swamp??

Jorge Almeida

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemotalmeida
    At North of Google Campus... there are strange fields with a strong color. They are green... other are very, very red!!! Which are those things??? Lake ponds of sulfuric acid??? And we can see more to North a swamp??

Jorge Almeida

I just saw that are sloughs and swamps... I never seen sloughs so red or green... perhaps they are very rich in Fe and other in pythoplankton,...

Jorge Almeida

Default 1" res

My guess is that Google mixes a combo of Sat and Aerial images. I would bet that the 1 inch res of their campus was done with a high-res cam on a low flyover, or from a crane, just to impress us. No matter what all the black-helo kooks think, the sci-fi-read-a-penny stuff is not currently possible. The atmosphere introduces too much distortion to make that possible even if you could turn the HST to the ground and re-focus it from deep space to orbital distances. From what I've heard, 4-6" is about the best military grade resolution, which is still pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gheilig
    My guess is that Google mixes a combo of Sat and Aerial images. I would bet that the 1 inch res of their campus was done with a high-res cam on a low flyover, or from a crane, just to impress us. No matter what all the black-helo kooks think, the sci-fi-read-a-penny stuff is not currently possible. The atmosphere introduces too much distortion to make that possible even if you could turn the HST to the ground and re-focus it from deep space to orbital distances. From what I've heard, 4-6" is about the best military grade resolution, which is still pretty cool.

Yeah.....but that's what you've "Heard". Unless you have ultra top secret government clearance, you never know. Think about it. Most of the US government technology that we know about (ie stealth, etc) is at minimum 10-15 years old by the time it is released to the public. No offense, but calling people who believe that the government hides things from the public "kooks" is pretty naive.

Default Nice Pool...

Anybody notice Google put their name in the pool in the picture?
    Attached Files Attached Files

No, people who think that the government hides things from them are NOT kooks. But..... the physics of things dictates what the best resolution you could possibly achieve would be. 2-3cm work really is all that is achievable from orbit. Even then you need a system that can take a bunch of samples quickly and then average out the disturbances. When it is said that they can read a newspaper on the bench, they MAY be able to read a really big headline, not the actual text. Now a UAV flyover is another matter entirely... why do you think we built the things?